Sign in to follow this  
Squadrone Rosso

GT86 upgraded in the UK

My wife's 86 is in the Country :D

Delivery to the dealer is 20th July (her Birthday). We're away then so hope to collect on 25th.

However, I was told that part of the reason for the slight delay was a leather shortage at the Toyota UK depot......

The lead sales chap says items such as the premium quilted heated leather, JBL Sound, reverse sensors & the top spec NAV all get added over here???

Seems weird & concerning that the car will be ripped to bits after leaving the factory to have a scary £4.4ks worth options fitted before my wife gets it :(

Is this accurate? Am I unduly worrying?

Thanks,

Simon

It's the same for everyone. 

Don't worry about it! 

Seats get done in Portbury docks, plus the alarm system.

Al the other bits are fitted by your dealer. 

That is a worry though. Too many variables as in people messing with the car :(

Could this explain the rattles & squeaks issues I've read about?

From what little I know about Japanese cars, I understood the build quality was typically first rate, whilst the material quality could sometimes be lacking. My impression of the material quality in the 86 is very favourable though.

As someone as anal as myself, I too didn't like it but there isn't much you can do about it. As Lauren says, it's the same for everyone and mine's okay (I have leather and nav).

The seats are lovely by the way  ;)

Yes, the heated seat/leather upgrade is well worth doing. I've got the leather/alcantara as full leather wasn't an option. It's an option very much worth ticking. I think the overall build quality of the car is very good. I've had zero problems (well a heated seat switch stopped lighting up and I had a coil pack changed as a precaution) though I've done over 65K in two and a half years. I also compete in my car and will be taking it to Italy again at the end of the month. It's all good, you'll love it. :)

I must say, I think my leather has worn pretty well. I've probably done more miles than most moaning about it elsewhere. I do use leather cleaner and whilst I never considered myself overly careful getting in and out, I don't seem to have scuffed it at all. 

Only issue with the leather seats is the poor quality of the leather, I was told today that all optional extras come with a 12 month warranty.

Warranty wise, is that correct? We have not been told that. Car is sold on the basis of a 5 year warranty.

We wouldn't have splashed £4.4k on bits that only get a 1 year warranty :(

Ref leather quality, the quilted stuff looked & feels excellent.

Only issue with the leather seats is the poor quality of the leather, I was told today that all optional extras come with a 12 month warranty.

Ian

All options are covered by the 5 year warranty if purchased and fitted at the same time as registering the car new .

I rather unfortunately scuffed the side of my seat within 2/3 weeks of ownership with the side of my trainer while squeezing in to the car in my garage. Luckily for me my detail guy also happens to be a leather technician so I'm going to get round to getting it fixed up at some point. He seemed to think that it marked quite easily because it was high grade leather though...

It does feel soft and premium but I'm no expert

www.im-tuned.uk

I'm used to fine Italian leather in my Alfas, including the finest Poltrona Frau in my Brera.

The optional quilted leather in the 86 compares very favourably. In fact, I don't necessarily get the negative comments about the 86 interior per se.

Me neither. There are a few areas where the plastic is a bit poor, like the steering column. The knee pads are leather effect rather than leather.

Other than that it's brilliant

www.im-tuned.uk

Me neither. There are a few areas where the plastic is a bit poor, like the steering column. The knee pads are leather effect rather than leather.

Other than that it's brilliant

www.im-tuned.uk

I'm just impressed that it has knee pads at all... I don't get the obsession with soft touch plastics either. I've driven expensive and cheap cars and liked the interiors on both. As long as the design is functional and durable and the bits you hold feel nice I'm not fussed.

The Gt86 has a functional driver focussed interior that I find attractive. Wheel, pedals, gearshift and particularly handbrake (so often in the wrong place on RHD cars) feel great.

It's missing the kind of electronic integration you'd expect now, but I prefer it that way. Want to change stations? Use the buttons on the radio. Want heat? Use the heating controls? Change the dash computer - use the buttons next to it. It's intuitive, and much less distracting than the increasing trend for navigating touch screen menus.

I would quite like a 'fuel range to empty' indicator on the computer though. I miss that.

I had my upgrades in the UK too, and that included the "Custom Leather" seat options. No problems with them at all, used a sealant in the seats and have been great apart from normal wear getting in and out.

I would say that my audio system was not installed properly so on the day of pick up the USB was not connected. This lead to two trips to the local dealer for them to figure out the cable had just come out from the back of the unit!

Just have to check all functions work before you drive away i suppose, USB, auxiliary, heated seats, speakers all work :)

On the subject of warranty, on the BRZ it is 5 years, but first 3 years for everything and years 4 and 5 just for the Drive train. Is Toyota 5 years for everything?

On the subject of warranty, on the BRZ it is 5 years, but first 3 years for everything and years 4 and 5 just for the Drive train. Is Toyota 5 years for everything?

The comprehensive warranty is for three years or 60K miles. Then there is still a warranty for the final two or up to 100K, but it is not comprehensive so will cover less and more wear and tear items will be excluded. My car is 2.5 years old with 65K on the clock. 

Sounds like the warranty is very similar then.

I think so. Normally Subaru just do a three year warranty, but on the BRZ they had to make an exception else no one would have bought it, so I believe they basically mirrored what Toyota offered...