Sign in to follow this  
Tweedbean

Camber Adjustment on Teins

Hi all I need some tips on camber adjustment on the Teins. Until I get the other suspension components for a proper setup, I want to adjust camber myself. On previous cars I was lucky and didnt need to however since lowering the 86, the rear has negative cambered naturally due to it sitting lower, where as the front still has zero camber. I want to add negative camber to the front for now to get it matching the rear and wondered how much to add, I wasnt sure whether the lines on the top mounts were 1 degree each and roughly what I would need to add in the front.

17418012992_7a79db4dbc_o.jpgTein Flex Z Coilovers for the GT86 by James Baker, on Flickr

The car is now up in the air as the wheels are going back on so I thought it was a great opportunity to sort it. I have loosened off the allan key bolts and the camber is easily adjustable, so any tips on how much would be appreciated.

Not the best photo to show rear camber currently but will give you an idea:

17829691542_bf897f48e9_o.jpgLowered another 10mm on the front by James Baker, on Flickr

The marks don't seem to equate to anything I don't believe. I can post a picture of mine when I get home which is -2.5 degrees but whether setting yours the same would give the same setting I have no idea!

Very crudely you could put a small level on the hub and take off of upright, mark the bubble and repeat the other side. Not a good way but might help until you get an alignment done.

No substitute for a proper alignment, but using a digital inclinometer with a flat board held against the face of the wheel can get you close in the meantime.

http://www.laserlevelshop.co.uk/rion-digital-inclinometer-0.1%B0~767?gclid=CjwKEAjwq-OsBRDd95aryprR9wQSJACQnU3G5BpvGBxmFiNnvV2lBfrU-fFrbHEJ7pdkMOxabrs_QBoC52Lw_wcB

If you can get to a flat floor then you can check your toe settings by "stringing"

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/ctrp-1204-determining-wheel-alignment-string-your-car/

Jeff you should have your bolts that hold the pillowball mounts apart, not together. That is not correct. 

You should have a gap of one hole between the bolts. You can see your mounts are slightly twisted relevant to the top mount. If you look at Tweedbean's pic in the first post you will see what I mean.

Jeff you should have your bolts that hold the pillowball mounts apart, not together. That is not correct.

You should have a gap of one hole between the bolts. You can see your mounts are slightly twisted relevant to the top mount. If you look at Tweedbean's pic in the first post you will see what I mean.

I understand what your saying in the first part of your post Lauren but not the second?

The bolts are as RRG set them - when Blink did the meisters they also had the bolts together? Doesn't seem to say anything in the manual about them being apart from what I can see.

RRG have not set them correctly. They set mine like that, but as soon as Yukiko from Tein saw it when I got to Fensport she got them to move them one hole apart. I'd trust Yukiko in this instance!

Up to you, but I don't think Yukiko and Dave at Fensport would be wrong about this.  

The bolts aren't really load bearing bolts though - they are only hand tightened. I've just had a look in the installation manual and it clearly shows the bolts together (picture below) as in my pictures so I'm a bit confused now?

20150705_214041.jpg