Nicebiscuit

Gutted! My Gt86 hit by dozy pillock

Nice to see you can see a positive side to every mishap mate!!

Wish I'd thought of this, 4 collisions would have been much quicker than my slow progress!!

Well - things are looking up. The car still works, Richards body shop colleagues have got back to me and are working on the estimates, and the insurers are not being awkward and seem happy to work with them. Rubbish though it is, everyone has been really nice. I think everyone who's dealt with the claim so far has seen the date of registration, winced and been really sympathetic.

Will take a few weeks to sort but I'm confident I'll end up back where I started. And I might have only had it a week but I'm quite attached to it. You don't shoot your dog if it has a broken ankle, do you? Bob will be just fine...

Yes, I think considering it wasn't your fault, you are far less likely to have an issue with a preferred repairer. The difference with me, was it was entirely my fault. 

Good luck, I'm sure Richard will take good care of you. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think they're worried I'll come after them for a whole new car given the age/mileage. It is going to be a whole new three quarter panel - not major damage - just isn't going to be able to be bashed out, and unfortunately it isn't a bolt on panel...

I had a car crash some years ago, I claimed compensation from the guilty party for devaluation of my car as it was only a few months old. Something to discuss with a solicitor perhaps :)

www.im-tuned.uk

To be honest I'm not that fussed - perhaps I should be - but it's just one of those things. This is a long term keeper anyway and daft though it may seem if I were offered a swap I probably wouldn't take it - that's MY car.

Just want it properly repaired and I'm sure it will be. RRG have been great, as I'm sure will come as no surprise whatsoever to anyone here...

Haven't even wrangled a posh courtesy car out of them - a Fiesta will do me just fine... More room than the GT86 anyway!

If it's repaired properly it won't devalue the car. There's no reason why it would. Many, many cars have had cosmetic damage repaired.

Agreed, but the compensation was nice :)

www.im-tuned.uk

I once had a Kia Picanto runaround, which some lovely teenager decided to run across the roof of.

I had it repaired by a local guy with a very good reputation, and you wouldn't have even known it had been done. So there's a good bit of news for you...

The bad news... whenever I insured a car following this, even though I wasn't at fault, and had protected NCB, I had to pay more because I had to answer "yes" to the question, "Have you made a claim in the last five years"?

To give you an idea, it put £90 on a motorcycle policy I had!!

Something to consider if going down the compensation road.

The bad news... whenever I insured a car following this, even though I wasn't at fault, and had protected NCB, I had to pay more because I had to answer "yes" to the question, "Have you made a claim in the last five years"?

This is different though, he isn't making a claim on his own insurance. In your circumstance I guess you had to claim on your own.

Depends on the insurer. Some ask about 'claims' to which the answer is no, some ask about 'accidents' which is yes. We'll find out as we're renewing shortly (was using up the last month of insurance on the previous car) and we already had some quotes pre-accident...

I had a claim a few years back - not my fault - hit and run on my parked car - but it was a claim on my insurance. Made less difference than I expected. And I'm told, a claim on other peoples insurance loads your premium less...

To be honest I'll use my usual rule of thumb - if the amount I'm going to be out of pocket by, divided by the number of hours I'd spend faffing around trying to sort it doesn't work out to a decent hourly rate - sod it - I'd rather be out driving the car... :-)

A little late joining the convo but I'm gutted for you, I went through similar pain in December when I'd had mine for a few months.

They'll do everything they can to push you through their approved repairer network but its your legal right for the car to be repaired at the bodyshop you choose, so long as the cost of repairs are "fair and reasonable" which doesn't have to be the cheapest.

My Dad works in the insurance industry (which is how I know the above), if you've got any questions or they give you any shit that seems wrong feel free to ask and I'll happily pick his brains for you :-)

Things are looking up. RRG accident repair quoted (as promised) on Friday, insurers authorised on Saturday - no quibbles. Just spoken to RRG just now, and booked into the body shop for Thursday, and Enterprise hire car booked and waiting.

Plus had a chat with the sales guys who's view was that I shouldn't worry about resale - it wouldn't impact their valuation. Finally - redid our insurance quotes, but this time with the accident on it. It increased the premium by.... Ten pounds :-). Can't really complain.

So far it's a credit to the companies involved...

Feeling slightly grumbly. Initial estimate of 'seven working days to repair' has turned into 12-15 after they get the parts, which has only just happened. I wouldn't mind, but that's two extra weeks in a Vauxhall Corsa - hadn't mentally steeled myself for that :-(

A spot of good news (I think). Phone call from the body shop to say they can bash out the panel after all. I'm quite pleased with that - much preferable to having whole new bits welded on...

I'll be impressed mind - was quite bent - but I've seen some serious skills in this area before - it's amazing what a decent panel beater can do...