STEVO9000

Air con dilemma!

Walked out of work today into a nice 30 degree heat.

Jump into my 86 and flick the air con on, nothing but hot air. Give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a minute but nothing, 5 minute drive with the windows down so I don't overheat and still nothing but hot air!

It's a 2012 with 19,200 miles on the clock. Just less than 3 year old. I very very rarely use the air con in my car, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used it in the 7 months I've owned it. But it's always been ice cold before.

Sound like just a case of needing to be regassed? Or could it be something else? I'm getting the car into my local dealer on Thursday hopefully!

Anyone else had similar issues?

The normal reason for air con to start pumping out hot air can most likely be down to lack of use, to much moisture in the system or a gas leak i would advise when you have sorted this issue to use the aircon more regularly as the more you use it the better it works

an ex air con technician

Yeah? I didn't realise that tbh. This is the first car I've ever had with air con.

Easy fix do you reckon? I'm hoping the dealer will do it under warranty.

I'm off to France in 3 weeks, certainly can't be doing with no air con!

I'd run it for a while first it may sort itself out, but adam is right. You do need to use it often otherwise it just won't work properly. A re-gas will most likely fix this, but i'm lead to believe this is an expensive operation? Unless they have found a better supplier.

If you've rarely used it, it's probably lost the gas. I'd get it re-gassed and see what happens...

99% of air con people will tell you the same thing - run it all the time. A well used air con system shouldn't leak - not using it can cause the pipes to go hard/brittle and cause tiny leaks so the gas leaks out over time.

No idea how frequently the previous owner used it, I know I haven't used it that much.

However I did use it last week just to take the moisture out of the air as my windows were steaming up a bit and seemed to be fine. Was only when I checked it today it was hot.

I hope they have sorted another supplier then, otherwise I'll take it to an air con centre and have it done there. Probably be cheaper!

The air con gas changed before the 2014 cars, why I had to wait so long for mine when I bought it apparently... I thought it went from the standard cheapy stuff to the unicorn fart stuff but may have been the other way.

Whichever way it was, as has already been said it should work fine after a re-gas, the gas acts as a lubricant for all the seals in the system, don't use it and they dry out allow it to weep.

No it started with the really expensive more atmosphere friendly stuff that is around £600 to regass or some such. The key with AC is to just use it as much as possible. I have mine on all year round and only turn it off for sprint runs, then turn it back on again. 

I've done 65K miles in my car and it works a treat. 

Get it checked out, it's all you can do and hope you just need a top up. But, when you get it fixed use it all the time, just leave it on. The refrigerant lubricates the seals, so you need to run it. 

The only other thing that could cause this is likely a holed condensor or there is a problem with the compressor, you can open your bonnet and see if it clicks on and off. Can't remember if there is an inspection hole or not to see if there is refrigerant visibly going round. 

I can hear a noise inside the car if I turn the switch on, so I'm assuming something is kicking in.

Having read some stories I'm hoping they've sorted this so its not a £600 charge to fill it!

If you need any parts Steve, that aren't covered under warranty, drop me a PM. I have a complete system off my 2014 car which has done 150 miles.

Cheers Nige, I'll see what they say when it goes in :)

Hopefully it's nothing too bad. I've just had a good look at it, can hear the pump engaging when I press the button and there's no signs of any leaks on the pipes, or the rad either so hopefully it's just a regas.

Though I'm hoping I can get that done under warranty but I'm not counting on it....

Cheers Nige, I'll see what they say when it goes in :)

Hopefully it's nothing too bad. I've just had a good look at it, can hear the pump engaging when I press the button and there's no signs of any leaks on the pipes, or the rad either so hopefully it's just a regas.

Though I'm hoping I can get that done under warranty but I'm not counting on it....

You won't necessarily see any leaks Steve. They will recharge and put a dye in it if it's not already dyed.

Well the core of the rad looks ok, no big stone holes so I'm hoping there's nothing elsewhere or at least if there is it's due to manufacturing issue than damage.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see what happens when I get it in with the dealer, something I'm not looking forward to! :(

Out of curiosity, are there any adverse affects of filling a newer system with say R134a?

Just to Please you, i work for a car manufacturer and last year they were displeased that the cost of the old gas per car was a few pence.. This new stuff is costing..

£2 per car!

Spoke to my dealer today. It's going in tomorrow.

I got told that they'll do a vacuum check on it first and if all ok will just be a regas and they'll even do my pollen filter at the same time for the grand total of....

£80.

Or £60 if the pollen filter doesn't need doing.

I queried if that was right as I said I'd read things about the cost of the new gas and recharges being more expensive and she just told me looking it up on the Internet was probably the worst thing to do but that what she quoted me is their price.

I'll discuss it further with them in the morning just to be sure, but if that's right then it's not too bad!

To be honest i noticed mine was not as cold as it should be on full blast today...until i took it on the motorway then it puckered up abit. Coincidence perhaps? Or have u got in my head??

To be honest i noticed mine was not as cold as it should be on full blast today...until i took it on the motorway then it puckered up abit. Coincidence perhaps? Or have u got in my head??

As has been said on previous posts, use it all the time, all year round.

If you do have a problem let me know as I've got a customer in Slough who will sort it out for you for a v good price(all they for is ac)

John