Nicebiscuit

What other marques are you all into?

Our puma lasted really well. I had it for about a year until my mate forced me to drive his Scoob. At the third time of asking I gave way, knowing I'd want to buy one. Lo and behold, a plan was hatched and the missus bought the Puma off me and owned it for the next 8 years and racked up about 120k miles in it. Barely a thing went wrong with it and it was so chuckable and fun at low speeds. The racing variant was lovely, but with gravel rash issues, a hefty price tag and not much more power, it was a step too far for me that I wasn't happy to take.

I'll have to try a VTEC Honda at some point, it's one of those cars that has always passed me by :(

I loved the engine in my T-Sport Celica,

celica_zps95791181.jpg

I kept running the 86 into the rev limiter at first (after running in) as I was so used after 8 years to the step up in delivery you got at 6200 rpm and had got used to timing my gear shifts off that

Without the step in the 86 as an indicator I used to keep bouncing off the rev limiter, got a bit more used to it now, but still miss the VVLTI second cam (that engine was designed in conjunction with Yamaha, if you want high revving NA engines I think designing bike engines as well helps)

Alec

Must admit, I think rather than a DC2 which I've had, it's the FD2 I would just love one of those. The worthy successor to the DC2.  I did think about one for a while but didn't have the money. I was torn between that and the AE86 with my love of RWD. Though the DC2 is a real drivers car and I would like one one day. 

It was way, way better with a fully independent rear double wishbone suspension compared to the torsion beam of the FN2. Also LSD as standard and 220bhp. FD2 was the pure drivers car of the like we haven't seen since the DC2. 

But it was never sold over here which makes it even more desirable.  

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/209845/honda_civic.html

Well the F20 VTEC lump from the S2000 held the production engine HP/L record for a long time, with 120HP/L until it was surpassed by the Ferrari F430 I think it was?

But still, to think Honda were getting 240hp from a 2L 4 cylinder engine 15 years ago is just incredible!

Take that with a pinch of salt though. My days of Honda rolling road days, I never saw a stock one break 220bhp and one got as low as 210bhp. However they were also fabulous at taking boost due to being forged so I knew a guy with a Comptech S/C'd one with Spoon goodies galore running ~400bhp with headroom left.

I think our fuel didn't help but I know it took a good day with Japanese fuel to get the quoted figure. That said, plenty of fun to drive no matter what.

I had a DC2, absolutely amazing car.

That engine, that amazing chassis, the LSD, the feel, it was just incredible. Best handling car I've had.

I may have another one day when I can build my collection.

Better than the GT86 then? If so - why would you say?

It's interesting because I do think it's hard to get the same level of involvement the newer the car. I also have a thirty year old Saab 900 - dead slow, not even a Turbo - but with double wishbone front suspension, lightly hydraulically assisted steering and modest tyres it has a steering feel and driving pleasure I have struggled to find in anything much newer. In period it was a big heavy car, but compared to modern family cars it steers like a mini. The original mk1 Focus was good too as a drivers car, but later ones just don't cut it for me.

I can probably answer that given that the EK9 is essentially an updated DC2.

They are so light and you can feel it, which means that despite the "lack" of torque, the engine works well in harmony with the chassis. Honda really got everything right about the early Type Rs, strengthened chassis and very well designed suspension. The B16/18 R engines really made you feel like it was a race engine which made everything an occasion.

They are very different to the 86 though, I love the creature comforts in my 86. My 9 had A/C and electric windows and that was seen as luxury. Honda designed the car to be as minimalistic as possible, it was designed as a trackday car IMO. It's not a hot hatch like today where it's nicer interiors than standard models and all the extras, it was spec'd so that it was for people who enjoyed driving.

It's interesting because I do think it's hard to get the same level of involvement the newer the car. I also have a thirty year old Saab 900 - dead slow, not even a Turbo - but with double wishbone front suspension, lightly hydraulically assisted steering and modest tyres it has a steering feel and driving pleasure I have struggled to find in anything much newer. In period it was a big heavy car, but compared to modern family cars it steers like a mini. The original mk1 Focus was good too as a drivers car, but later ones just don't cut it for me.

The DC2 is incredibly sharp and point to point is just lightening fast. You have to remember the attention to detail is really quite astonishing on the DC2 with thinner windscreens, hand ported heads the like and many suspension revisions compared to the lesser Integra's. It's the type of detail you rarely see this side of a GT3RS. 

It's a much sharper tool than a standard GT86. Though my car isn't standard, so I think it runs it very close and is really simply different than the DC2 but just as capable.