Lauren

Which uprated pads?

Lauren: have you considered switching pads just on trackdays? As in put on best track performing ones just when on track, and don't suffer their drawbacks at daily driving? I don't know if compromise ones is best choice. Jack of all trades usually master of none, no?

Lauren: have you considered switching pads just on trackdays? As in put on best track performing ones just when on track, and don't suffer their drawbacks at daily driving? I don't know if compromise ones is best choice. Jack of all trades usually master of none, no?

Totally CBA with that in all honesty. I like to drive to the track, put in a pre-programmed suspension setup on the EDFC which takes about five seconds, then drive round the track all day, revert to road suspension settings and drive home. 

The stock brakes do okay on sessions of no more than ten minutes but struggle at 15 minutes. I only do long sessions like that when it's a club track session at a show like Combe this Saturday. For sprints it matters less. 

I had Stoptech BBK on my civic. Every single owner swapped out the Stoptech pads as they were not that good. Most, as I did, went for DS2500. No probs from cold and performed well for me round Oulton and on road.

From my limited experience with the 86 so far I'd say that the weak point will by the Primacy tyre rather than the pad.

Ferrodo DS2500 imho in general are ones that are by far most often mentioned regarding twins pads (and i guess, for wrx/sti subarus aswell), and not just in forums, in IRL (eg. from my college) too . I've yet to wear down oem ones, and haven't yet tried DS2500, but that's certainly my planned choice for replacement.

I had Stoptech BBK on my civic. Every single owner swapped out the Stoptech pads as they were not that good. Most, as I did, went for DS2500. No probs from cold and performed well for me round Oulton and on road.

From my limited experience with the 86 so far I'd say that the weak point will by the Primacy tyre rather than the pad.

As I've already said, free pads means I might as well try them. As I've already said I'm easy on brakes. I tried a gripper tyre but thought it gave too much grip so went back to the Primacy. The Primacy is certainly not a weak point. It's about balance for me. I like to work the chassis. 

As I've already said, free pads means I might as well try them. As I've already said I'm easy on brakes. I tried a gripper tyre but thought it gave too much grip so went back to the Primacy. The Primacy is certainly not a weak point. It's about balance for me. I like to work the chassis.

To be honest I like the Primacy tyres too and I'm very reluctant to change them as I don't want to upset the character of the car.

I suppose my post was to highlight to those who assume better pads mean shorter braking distances. It's not always true if the tyre is not up to the job.

You can go wrong with free.

Primacies have one slight problem. They are relatively expensive. Hence if i'd wish to save easy to oversteer character, i'd simply wouldn't go for overly wide tyres or go even to a bit narrower ones if tyres chosen have more grip. By time one wears down oem primacies, one usually has more experience awell on to how swing rear around even with slightly more grip, if wished so. Hence some 215/45 or even 205/45 imho will be fine, without overpaying for Primacies to replace ones that came with car. Of course, what matters more is thread width, as IIRC for example michelin super pilot sports have same 7.7" thread width in both of these two sizes, and for both thread width is wider then that of Primacies.

Primacy's are really cheap I find, because there's always someone selling a part used set for peanuts. They last forever too. I got 14K out of the rears of my first set and 25K out of the fronts. That's pretty good considering I spent a couple of trackdays going sideways. 

There'll always be people who want to swop out the Primacy tyres, so worth looking up who's got a set spare for sale. 

My thing about better pads has nothing to do with stopping distances, it's all about lasting a bit longer before they catch fire. 

Hmm, true, haven't considered used sales possibility. As cars using them as oem stock ones are rare where i live, it's only new ones i can get. And as such they are expensive.

Yes, they are expensive, new, well they are around the same cost as any premium tyre I find. All UK GT86's (except Aero and TRD) are fitted with them, so it's really common for people to swop them out because they don't like them for something else, or change their wheels as a lot of people do. So there are normally a fair few sets floating about cheap. 

Can't go wrong with the old primacy's, nothing beats that progressive breakaway off roundabouts in 2nd gear! Plus they do give a lot of grip in bone dry conditions :) 

It's compound is made of harder stuff than Chuck Norris too! 

I currently have Project Mu HC+ 800 pads with Dot 5.1 fluid. Managed six 20 minute sessions at Snetterton and no sign of fade or soggy pedal. After they were bedded in, I found they had the pleasing cold bite too.

I did get the brakes very hot. I wouldn't recommend any Caliper paint for track use. Even the foliatec 300C stiff burned.

I'll have a look at the dust boots when I get a chance, but I suspect they will be knackered.

Oddly my car didnt have any shims on the front. Just the ones permanently attached to the pads, but not the shiny ones.....

post-299-0-68789400-1431429953_thumb.jpe

I do like the idea of Project Mu, it was something I saw a lot of whilst in Japan. Difficult to find a UK supplier. See Nengun do them for £90, plus shipping, plus processing and plus VAT and a wait of course. 

Hello,

I am new to the forum after picking up my GT86 on Friday. My colleague sent me this link the other day, so I thought I would do my first post here - HI! 

I work for PFC 'Performance Friction'. I see from the earlier posts you have settled on new pads, but for future reference the Z-rated pads would be fine for your described usage. They are suitable for fast road/track day use.

http://www.pfc.parts/toyota-gt86-cup/  - :)

UJ

I'm on the look out for some rear pads. I'll be sticking with Stock Discs I think or the Stoptech discs but open to suggestions for a good rear pad.

I've got Performance Friction Z-Rated on the front in the Brembo STI callipers. So something on the back that's got good initial bite and can take some heat would be good. 

I've been running stock up until now and they're great but wonder if I could get something a bit more bite to match the fronts. 

I think it makes sense to balance your brakes out in regard to pad used, Jay front and rear, even though the rears don't do that much in comparison to the fronts. 

I'm liking the idea of Project Mu, will have a think on them for next time as I do like my JDM stuff! :)

I've booked my car in for next Tuesday to get all this fitted. :)

Yeah, It's not been a noticeable problem. But I've never compared to having a griper pad on the rear. 

I'll have a look at the Project Mu stuff and have a look. Stoptech are the other option for ease of ordering them. 

Lauren, If you want Project Mu, then Hendy Performance have recently become the UK distributor. I think the range they have in stock is a bit limited at this time but I'm sure they will expand it as the enquiries come in.

Thats the guys I bought them from via ebay. They had four sets of front HC+ 800 pads in stock last time I looked :)

I do like the idea of Project Mu, it was something I saw a lot of whilst in Japan. Difficult to find a UK supplier. See Nengun do them for £90, plus shipping, plus processing and plus VAT and a wait of course. 

The Project pads are quality, they use them on the V3 and work really well with the stock discs. 

On the V3 they are using the 999 Race Pads though... The CSG lot over on ft86club say they are okay on the road, but they also say the 10kg front and 12kg rear springs are okay on the street with the tein SRC. I dont care how good the dampers are (I have riden in a Ohlin TTX car) they will be FIRM.