Nige's Wide Body Project

I measured my castor last night at this ride height and with the top mount moved back by 4mm it was 6.4 degrees. That was with 2 degrees negative camber

image.jpg

Thanks Tim,

You're obviously measuring this with a gauge?. It correlates with my measurements as you have induced extra at the top but are not as low. That looks like a circa 30mm drop there?

Thanks Tim,

You're obviously measuring this with a gauge?. It correlates with my measurements as you have induced extra at the top but are not as low. That looks like a circa 30mm drop there?

Yes with a castor/camber gauge.  Two man job, I wish I had a proper machine :(

I actually can't find the stock ride height measurements.  If you measure yours from the ground to peak of each wheel arch i'll do the same here in a minute when i get it off the ramp.

You never fail to impress @Nigelr32!

It's really nice to see a build from an analytics person! Very cool to see that there is a reasoning, data and calculations to every single thing you do! A proper build! Dare i say it will be one of the top in Europe once you're done with it?

P.S. Loving your fallback plan to the ballz out 2jz once the FA fails :D:D:D

You never fail to impress @Nigelr32!

It's really nice to see a build from an analytics person! Very cool to see that there is a reasoning, data and calculations to every single thing you do! A proper build! Dare i say it will be one of the top in Europe once you're done with it?

P.S. Loving your fallback plan to the ballz out 2jz once the FA fails :D:D:D

I wish you were correct.. I just love the smell my plasma cutter makes!!

Thankyou Sonic,

I think the little 3 gallon tank pictured here will suffice and fits exactly with your spec?

untitled.png

Just one point though.. I will be using a Peterson 3 stage pump which also includes the pressure pump, so the engines inbuilt pump will be redundant. I will be selling my Reimax pump, Racer X sump and baffle plate as soon as this kit arrives. So, as you say, there will be one -16 hose running inside the car under vacuum and another right next to it returning oil to the tank from the scavenge and cooler, hardly 12 bar me thinks?? BUT, I will have 15 litres of oil to burn me and cover the track when it all blows up!!

blimey 3 gallons ?!  thats plenty large, still you don't have to fill it right up with oil

I'd run it about 8 to 10  ltrs or so as too much oil will take ages to warm

but a big tank has the plus you can run a lot or air space at the top which will help with redcuing carryover  and give the oil plenty of time to swirl around and de-aerate I'm assuming that you've got to modify / make a sump pickup for the pump?

Another small development today.. found this company who look very professional indeed!!

http://www.jlsairjacks.com/air-jack-kits.html

Most very low race cars require these these days as it is nearly impossible to get a jack under the car!! I think we all know how difficult it can be to get a race jack under a lowered GT86 front end or rear. I really am looking forward to fitting these, because racecar!!

Nice! I'd love some of them, it's a ballache getting a jack under. I can't get a race jack under my car at the mo. Thought they'd be more complex than that but they look relatively simple in design and function.

643mm front and 646mm rear

660 front and 678 rear are the stock heights on my daily driver, now known as "Wrighty", cos she's a write off. So, I am the proud owner of Wrighty and Tommy. What a nice pair!!

Edited by Nigelr32

So, what have we been up to the last few days..

this...

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

This is the first step in making a mould of the roof. There's a lot of work required to get to this stage. Thickening up the flanges and filling in the returns around the drip rail strip thingy. I've never played with Carbon fibre before, but I want to give it a go.. let's see how I get on.

Edited by Nigelr32

are you just doing a carbon fibre overlay or are you going to be replacing the roof entirely with carbon fibre?

Complete replacement mate. Buggered if I'll payover £1500 for the Seibon one!!

The Siebon one doesnt fit very well Nigel.

Do you mean the cover or the full replacement panel Ian?

Mine will fit very well, it just might not look very pretty??

To be honest all the Siebon bits are a tad hit and miss i've heard. With Nigel doing it himself it should in theory fit perfectly given he's taken the mould off his car.

Even if it doesn't look pretty, at least you can say you gave it a go. The rest of us are too scared! Mind you if I had a spare car to play with i'd happily give things like this a go.

To be honest all the Siebon bits are a tad hit and miss i've heard. With Nigel doing it himself it should in theory fit perfectly given he's taken the mould off his car.

Even if it doesn't look pretty, at least you can say you gave it a go. The rest of us are too scared! Mind you if I had a spare car to play with i'd happily give things like this a go.

Of course there's always paint if it don't look pretty Rob?? I can have quite a few goes at it and still save a fortune over the Seibon price!!

There's a UV resistant gel coat available now, so there's no real excuse for pin holes, which seems to be the biggest complaint on carbon fibre??

If it all works out I'm gonna try making a skin for Wrighty's roof. Cool!!

Complete replacement mate. Buggered if I'll payover £1500 for the Seibon one!!

a brave man for chopping the roof, I'd be too scared that the frame will warp/lose strength doing that

I mean the cover Nigel, somebody was looking to get one but changed his mind once he saw the fitment, as Rob says there does seem to be a lot of variance with Seibon carbon products & for what we pay it should be spot on.

And there I was thinking i'd seen the best of nige, obviously feckin not ! Feeling even more inadequate now! :-D

Thanks for the compliment Mark, don't speak too soon though..

"Tommy's got his hat on, hip hip hip horay, Tommy's got his hat on and he's coming out to play"

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

From the inside.. flanges need to be added and it needs a good polish to be ready for the carbon..

IMG_0118.jpg

I think it's interesting that you are doing this, but given that the stock roof is 0.65mm thick and already incredibly light I would think, what is the point of doing it? 

I guess if you just want to do it because you can that's fine, but it does seem a tad unnecessary. 

I think it's interesting that you are doing this, but given that the stock roof is 0.65mm thick and already incredibly light I would think, what is the point of doing it? 

I guess if you just want to do it because you can that's fine, but it does seem a tad unnecessary. 

lighter, stronger and for looks?