Nigel's Daily Driver.

IT LIVES AGAIN!!!!

Yes, the old girl is running again. She has now run for about 20 minutes and sounds lovely with no leaks or anything untoward.. other than one little problem...

After running for about 2 minutes the DI pump starts to make a rattling sound, much like rattly tappets. Turn off and restart, it is quiet again, but only for a couple of minutes??

I can't wait to drive it now..

IT LIVES AGAIN!!!!

Yes, the old girl is running again. She has now run for about 20 minutes and sounds lovely with no leaks or anything untoward.. other than one little problem...

After running for about 2 minutes the DI pump starts to make a rattling sound, much like rattly tappets. Turn off and restart, it is quiet again, but only for a couple of minutes??

I can't wait to drive it now..

That's pretty standard for the Fuel Pump on these cars... Search 'GT86 Crickets' in google. 

Thanks a bundle Jay.. so it's not just my bad luck then? Funny, I dont remember my new one doing it??

Can you imagine how I panicked when I heard the noise two minutes into running a freshly built engine!!

There was no issue Jamie. I don't know what you mean?? :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Unless of course you're talking about the fact the arse who built the engine followed the manual word for word and managed to get the left and right cam timing 180 degrees out of phase. It's a mistake that said arse won't make again!!

There was no issue Jamie. I don't know what you mean??

Unless of course you're talking about the fact the arse who built the engine followed the manual word for word and managed to get the left and right cam timing 180 degrees out of phase. It's a mistake that said arse won't make again!!

I'd get another arse if I was you, Nige... there's loads of them about...

Spec K

I'd get another arse if I was you, Nige... there's loads of them about...

Spec K

Yes Keith, you are correct.. I have proven myself to be one of them..but I won't do it again sir, I promise..

Great vid Keith, much like the old Honda ads..

Basically, all the engines i have ever built have only had one cam chain or belt, so all cams were timed in together. On the FA20 there are two chains. Following the fitment of the left chain, the manual states, turn over to check nothing binds up, I did this and managed to get the cams 180 degrees out with the right bank. Easy mistake to make.. that's my excuse anyway.....

I wish I'd used the Subaru BRZ manual rather than the FRS one i have..

I had a pleasant surprise today. I thought the gear shift felt a little "short" so my suspicions led me to believe the car had been fitted with an upgraded shifter?? My suspicions were correct, I had a peak and found it had a TRD short shift kit fitted!! Off it came and was added to my mods box. Bonus!!!!

Lovely bit of kit as well, very well made!!

Nigel, another great thread. Thanks for sharing. I know it is a lot of effort to take all the pics and write a forum (along with answering all the questions that come), I applaud you for that :)

If we ever meet I shall buy you a beer.

Cheers

Well, we certainly have an ace GT86 engine builder in our midst bow.gif  respekt.gif

I have just got back from visiting Nige, and his re-built engine runs beautifully.  Well done, Sir, you have my respect and awe happy0180.gif

Dave

Thanks for your valued compliments Dave.

So, wen are we putting forged internals in yours??

Well over two months in and I finally have confirmation from VOSA that I can ring them and book my appointment for Vehicle Identity Check.

So, very soon there should be another GT86 prowling the streets of Gloucester.... I just hope it makes it to Kidderminster after so much work. About the only untouched components are the Diff and the 'box!!

Well over two months in and I finally have confirmation from VOSA that I can ring them and book my appointment for Vehicle Identity Check.

So, very soon there should be another GT86 prowling the streets of Gloucester.... I just hope it makes it to Kidderminster after so much work. About the only untouched components are the Diff and the 'box!!

Mine is back on the road again, let's go cruising

I called VOSA today and was offered my test to be done on the 9th in Bristol.. great!! Yeah.. the 9th of July!!!!!

I was told that this VIC thing is not a legal requirement and that DVLA only enforce it so I can get a log book. If it had been my car when it was registered as Cat C, I wouldn't need to do it!! Arrgghhh

You can finally come and join us at shows and events in her then Nige?! :)

Sure will mate.. she's totally stock though...

Why was it off the road? Turbo? Suspension? Brakes? Wheels?

Took the engine out to make the design of the new billet intake and baffled sump a whole lot easier.  No changes made to the car.  About to design a new brake kit but turbo won't got on for a couple of months as i need to prove the new intake out on the NA build first :)

Well, the 9th is nearly upon us....

Here comes Summer in my '86. Remember I said it was staying stock.. I lied, unintentionally, it's getting lowered with Deacon's springs and those lovely 9.5 x 18 wheels are going back on. :D :D

So, she's all up and ready for our little road trip down to Bristol tomorrow. I borrowed the trailer off a farmer, not ideal, but it'll do the job no doubt.

I loaded the car on my own, and have to do it all again tomorrow, on my own!! It's very nerve racking getting up them ramps blind..

IMG_3441.jpg

Both my '86's are finally at the same level now..

IMG_3444.jpg

I'll get me coat...