Mike

Dash camera

As I'll be doing the TSS this year, I figured it'd be nice to record some footage for once!

Can anyone recommend any cameras? Not really got a budget in mind, just as long as it's not overly expensive :P

Battery time isn't a major factor as long as it can be plugged in and it doesn't need to be a stealthy camera as it's unlikely I'll leave it in all the time.

I use the Transcend DrivePro 200 it's very good quality wide angle lens HD image, able to read numberplates with ease and it comes with wifi so you can download the videos from the camera without removing it or you can view it on the smartphone/tablet albeit with a slight delay, sound quality of the recording isn't too bad either

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-In-Black/dp/B00GRYT5QI

Ok not a dash cam but I will be using my Go Pro 4 black with the suction mount and frame mount in the 86 when i'm touring Europe in May

But I was going to get as well from Costco a dash cam they have for £49 on Friday. only glanced at it last week but going back as I was impressed with it for the money 

GT86-Ian has actually a cheaper dash cam I believe but can't remember what it was called, plus his has a screen at the back, but my Mobius cam is great quality and a great stealth option.

Cheers guys.

Think the RoadHawk is a bit expensive for what I'll need it for, as is a Go Pro.

The Transcend looks decent as does the Mobius. May get a Mobius seeing as you can apparently get an external lens for it which I could easily stick to the back of the rear view mirror!

Why don't you use a phone ?

This is my £0 set up:

Old metal broom handle abandoned outside 2 years ago and destined for the tip.
Old faulty phone holder that was replaced FOC
Bits of sticky velcro leftover
1 large zip tie
2 small zip ties
2 used wine corks inserted in the tube at the ends
Bits of rubber cut from an old inner tube 
Work phone (32GB)
Borrowing daughter's BT remote (that came with her selfie stick)

WP_20150123_002_zps8b922f7c.jpg

True, it's not very stable, or wasn't in this test but I have since then found a bit of rigidity through the use of a couple more zip ties.

It's not meant to rival a Go Pro but brilliant for my needs and in effect free.

The pole is just zip tied to the head rest support.

only problem with using a phone is the hassle of putting it in position when you get in the car and remembering to take it out, with a dedicated dash cam you install it once and forget about it

Nck, was that recorded at Shoreham airport?

Yes that's where I work.

only problem with using a phone is the hassle of putting it in position when you get in the car and remembering to take it out, with a dedicated dash cam you install it once and forget about it

You're right but it's a free solution and it's the work phone so I don't actually need to remove it any point.

Eventually decided on the Mobius. Version 3 has a battery life of 2 hours apparently which is more than enough so may not bother with my plan of taking it apart and fixing it behind the rear view mirror as it should be fine running off the battery.