Bles

Battery / Alternator Problems

Hi

Looking for some advice. Have been running my car every 2 weeks or so during the winter but went to go out over the weekend and found the battery charge too be too low to start the car.

Can anybody tell me if this is a common fault with either the battery being drained due to low useage or if perhaps the alternators are actually too small for the car. Have managed to recharge the battery now but after taking the car for a run the battery is still not fully charged. There are NO warning lights on when running.

Thanks

If it's still on the original battery it could be faulty, a few of us have had them replaced under warranty. Mine struggled to keep a charge over 5 days and had it jumped/pushed three times. Dealer swapped out the battery and I've had no issues since.

My dealer replaced my original Panasonic battery under warranty (16mths old).  The OEM replacement (Toyota badged) was 65Ah rather than the 48Ah original, which is not up to the job if you don't use the car regularly.  My original had a faulty cell and would not charge properly.

Have checked the battery voltage and was only showing about 12.5volts.

Mine is a Panasonic battery so this may be the problem as trying not to use the car too much during the winter, although missing driving it.

Think i might pop up the dealers and see what they say.

Many thanks for all the help.

Mines a terrible problem at the moment. 

Don't drive it for a few days. Flat to start. 

Jumped it a few times driven it 30 - 40 miles. Get in it 5 days alter flat again. 

I think the alternator is there to trickle charge. Going to have to plug it in for a weekend. 

Have checked the battery voltage and was only showing about 12.5volts.

Mine is a Panasonic battery so this may be the problem as trying not to use the car too much during the winter, although missing driving it.

Think i might pop up the dealers and see what they say.

Many thanks for all the help.

Is that with it running if so I would want to see more than 12.5 volts

Mines a terrible problem at the moment. 

Don't drive it for a few days. Flat to start. 

Jumped it a few times driven it 30 - 40 miles. Get in it 5 days alter flat again. 

I think the alternator is there to trickle charge. Going to have to plug it in for a weekend.

Get it changed mate, mine started doing this. It will just keep on doing it now until you get a new battery especially after the cold we've had.

Yup, just get it booked in for a free replacement from Toyota, mine was on charge for a couple of days and came up as "Replace Battery" on their test. Was only kicking out 10v up to 93A.

I think low usage is the problem. I've left mine for 16 days once, no problem. Never had an issue, but I do a lot of mileage. In fact only time I had  a flat was when I ran my audio for 45 minutes, but it isn't standard. 

Yeah, I've left mine for a week or longer before no problems. 

I did keep the audio on one day and haven't really given it a full charge since! So should try and charge it fully before complaining.

Hi All,

I have had the GT for 3 years now and in the last 6 months it has failed to start. I use it as my daily driver so do not understand why the battery has run its self down with no warning. The dealership have stated that the battery is fine so they will not change it under warranty and do not even acknowledge the existence of the new 65ah battery. Does any one have advice? I called Toyota direct and they were not really help just suggested I try another dealership. Should I just replace it myself and if so what would anyone recommend?

My car developed problems about 2 and half years in of being a Daily driver. Just kept failing to start. Not enough power to crank the engine when cold.

However my dealer did just change the battery under warranty to the new 65aH one. And never had a problem since. 

I would try another dealership if you can. If not you have every right to get them to fix the problem. If they say the battery is fine then they need to investigate what else is causing it not to start. Its under waranty if its the battery or not.

Try another dealer first, I had mine replaced after it wouldn't hold charge after 5 days or using the electrics for more than 30 minutes. New one is a 65ah fitted no question by my dealer (who has been picky about other issues)... this one has managed 17 days sitting on the drive with me walking past it (light greeting most days) and locking/unlocking a few times, still started first time.

Hmm my Dealership is Beadles in Medway, They took it in the first time overnight but did not find a problem just the battery had run-down but was fine. The nearest other dealerships are either Motorline Ashford or Jemca Sidcup, I will call Jemca as I believe Motorline are not the best.

I've had no issue with my motorline at Gatwick, Jemca wouldn't even give me the time of day when I was purchasing my car so I just haven't gone to them out of principle. Hopefully you have more luck. There are a few other people in your situation where their dealers are just quite frankly useless.

Take the car down to Kwik Fit and get them to test the battery. If you are using the car regularly either the battery is not holding the charge or the alternator needs replacing.

Or call out your breakdown service and get them to test both.