nickfrog

Not the most exciting news...

Never had a Toyota before the GT86, but now up to 2. My daughter's first car (she is still learning). 2013 Yaris TR 1.0. 

I picked it up this morning and it's absolutely brilliant. It has the same screen thingy as the one in my car. Returned 58mpg over 40 miles (!!) and is a surprisingly good drive, albeit slow of course.

It looks a bit like a fridge but I can live with that. Mia was so happy. She is a little spoilt though...

WP_20150117_001_zps93248282.jpg

Mark has his mum's old 2001 Yaris 1.3. He loves it. I must admit, I don't! Cheap to run though. 

I had a new 2014 1.3 Yaris Icon (I think) from RRG as a loan car. It was way better than Mark's old Yaris. The engine was alright, though you really had to rev it to get moving, but that wasn't really a bad thing, it just needed more revs than my car to make progress. The steering had better feel than I expected it to have. The pedal spacing is terrible though and the brakes are over-assisted. 

Handling wise, it corners reasonably flat, though the 2014 model has stiffer springs which is an improvement over the 2013 model. The handling feels a bit inert, almost like the car isn't into what you are doing with it, if you start to push on, with the general characteristic to understeer, though it would slide all four wheels in low grip condition on say greasy bigger roundabouts. 

I have had a 2013 1.3 Yaris as a loan car too. That had the mad white plastic dashboard, which was a bit much. 

The 2014 car has a much nicer soft touch dash too. I really think though, that Toyota could made the instruments look a bit nicer rather than a basic back lit with bulbs on a black background. It's only when you get in the 86 that you notice how much clearer the more expensive instrument lighting is. 

Not the most involving car, but it is getting better. But, as a totally dependable, reliable car that will never go wrong it's hard to do better I think. I think they're made in France.

Got a 2009 T2 1.0 just went straight through its MOT ave 60 plus mpg not a mark on it was going to get new Aygo but no point going to run the Yaris till it dies

If you want to sell the Yaris I could be interested, Nick..

Spec K

My mum's had about 5 Yarises over in France. I've driven them all and I rate them. Deffo a good car for learning in. Good choice Nick. My first car was a VW Beetle. The first car I drove 30 minutes after passing my test....My mum's Austin Princess 2.2 HLS. :D