griffinnn

Brakes squealing!!!

I'm at the end of my tether, it needs to stop. I did a quick search on here but cant seem to find anything about a solution. Can anyone tell me what i can get to stop the feckin screeching every time i slow down?

Cheers.

Put Copper Grease on the back of the shims.. I dropped mine off into Kwik Fit to do mine when I first had it, cost £11.

Also can be caused if you've not done any heavy breaking for a while. Do some heavy breaking from like 60mph - 10mph... 

My brakes did squeak but it would be quiet for a while after a wash so probably why you've never heard it Skally, but at the same time, mine never squeaked till after I had put a lot more miles on them.

Mines done it pretty much all the way through it's 47,000 miles. I just don't worry about it. It seems to come and go but is never that loud. I admit I always have music on so it doesn't really bother me that much. 

It's the OEM pad material. 

Evening All

There is a solution to this....could I please ask that you contact your local Toyota Centre and ask them to contact myself (Nigel) at the Toyota GB Technical Department...

I cannot give any further details over the forum at this point but as I said above, we can offer a solution which is proven to work..

Nige

hmm... ok i will Nigel as my brake pads needs replaced soon. is it a long time fix or quick one? at least you can tell this i hope. it is because i dont want to drive Aygo (even tho it is a nice car but i am not happy in it after all)

thanks in advance

ps: good to know that there is a tech-guy from TGB on the forum.

Evening All

There is a solution to this....could I please ask that you contact your local Toyota Centre and ask them to contact myself (Nigel) at the Toyota GB Technical Department...

I cannot give any further details over the forum at this point but as I said above, we can offer a solution which is proven to work..

Nige

You the man Nigel! I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for all the other replies too. 

I normally do have my music up pretty loud but i like to have my window down too and in Glasgow traffic on the way home its infuriating. 

Evening All

Nige

Hi Nigel, I've just contacted the Wrexham Toyota and told them to get in touch with you. Thanks very much   :)

Evening All

Nige

Is this a fix under warranty then?

Not covered by Warranty as it's not considered to be a mechanical failure, however I would strongly suggest contacting TGB Customer Relations to discuss possible assistance.....please don't shout at the boys and girls there though as they will be just as willing to help if you ask nicely...!!

Not covered by Warranty as it's not considered to be a mechanical failure, however I would strongly suggest contacting TGB Customer Relations to discuss possible assistance.....please don't shout at the boys and girls there though as they will be just as willing to help if you ask nicely...!!

Thanks Nige. I get your point but if TGB have brought out new parts for a fix for this issue clearly they have identified there is a design problem. Rusty callipers are changed under warranty and that issue is only cosmetic so I can see why this is not a warranty fix. ???

Toyota have categorically not bought out any new parts for this, the parts have been sourced from 86 sold by Toyota USA to help UK customers.....there is 100% no technical issue with the standard pads as fitted to European 86 and I need to be very clear on that...

The standard pads use a high spec compound to cope with the possibility of the vehicle being used on track days without loss of performance..the downside is that they can generate a higher level of noise when cold and/or at lower speeds, the alternative pads offered are a slightly softer grade material from US Market 86, however we ask our Centres to discuss this with customers before installing so that they understand that there MAY be a slight loss of performance under EXTREME (track day) use..

Warranty will only ever, ever cover failed components, the Brake Pads on GT86 operate exactly as they are intended and designed to do...

Toyota have categorically not bought out any new parts for this, the parts have been sourced from 86 sold by Toyota USA to help UK customers.....there is 100% no technical issue with the standard pads as fitted to European 86 and I need to be very clear on that...

The standard pads use a high spec compound to cope with the possibility of the vehicle being used on track days without loss of performance..the downside is that they can generate a higher level of noise when cold and/or at lower speeds, the alternative pads offered are a slightly softer grade material from US Market 86, however we ask our Centres to discuss this with customers before installing so that they understand that there MAY be a slight loss of performance under EXTREME (track day) use..

Warranty will only ever, ever cover failed components, the Brake Pads on GT86 operate exactly as they are intended and designed to do...

I have owned several performance cars including Toyotas. Some more track focused some not, some with aftermarket track braking systems and none of them have squealed.

I today took my GT86 to my local dealer who beveled the edges of the pads and copper greased between the pad and backing plate. Squealing is gone. For how long? Who knows.

Surely if the compound was the issue the above actions would not of made any difference?