smudge

RIP Robin Williams

Just seen it pop up on Facebook, and now all the major news sites are confirming it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28749702

So sad to think that a man who brought so much joy to the world can be so sad in themselves to take their own life. A truly unique actor with countless performances that he'll be remembered for

RIP Robin

Arrrr man.....I liked Robin Williams!  Can't believe he killed himself  :(   Wasn't he doing in the middle of filming Mrs.Doubtfire 2?  I can't understand people taking their own lives but RIP either way.

Noooo Mrs Doubtfire was amazing! I think the sequel was "in the pipeline". Even though i think he was great i still couldnt watch the God aweful tv series he tried doing with Sarah Michelle Geller. RIP funny man.

Without question the funniest, quickest most intelligent stand up comedian I have ever had the pleasure of seeing live. He simply ran rings round other comedians in impro.

Mork calling Orson. Come in Orson time to take me home... RIP LOL

Ahhh, yes, very sad. To be fair a lot of people don't understand why someone would take their own life. And why should they? Mental health is very complex, with multiple dementions. I work closely with mental health, and have first hand experience of such tragic loss. My heart goes out to his family :-(

Very sad, not a fan here and if there was ever sequel that you didn't need to make it's Mrs Doubtfire 2. The first film was awful, maybe that's what it was? ;)

Couldn`t have put it better myself but a very sad loss, must have been a very troubled man.

I admit, my knowledge into clinical depression is very very limited, I've known people who have had therapy and treatment for depression and stuff but I've never really discussed these matters with them to full understand it.  I know people can have difficult lives, up bringings or be in very difficult situations but to me suicide is never a solution.  I can understand people who have experienced traumas, drug abuse etc becoming depressed but I don't understand how people in normal conditions become depressed enough to consider suicide, but again, that's just me probably not fully understanding the actual mental condition of depression.

Keith, what you describe is pretty much what most people think :-) I would love to sit down with you and broaden your understanding. I am closely involved with depression associated with my job, and have a close friend who is a survivor of puerperal psychosis, but only just, as she was very close to taking her own life. She now comes and gives talks at all of my Pregnancy Clubs. Many things can trigger a depressive state and it doesn't always have to be something traumatic, or associated with "hard lives". At the end of the day, some forms of depression can be seen as a part of the brain has become ill or broken, just like any other part of the body. This can cause the rational side of the brain to switch off, i.e. allowing irrational thoughts to take over.

Haha, I could give a whole lecture lol but I'll stop there :-)

I've suffered with depression and due to this, I am always at risk of it. So it is a lifelong thing that comes back to haunt you. So in respect of that I totally understand why someone would want to kill themselves, though it's a selfish act I understand that too.

The only reason I would disagree with suicide being a selfish act is because I've had the opportunity to listen to survivors of failed suicide. I infact would turn it around and suggest that it can be a very selfless act. E.g. Rational thoughts have been switched off due to the brain being broken and in creep irrational thoughs. "I'm such a shit wife, how did he end up with a waste of space like me? If I wasn't here he could find someone, so much better", "How did my kids end up with such a shit mother like me, if I wasn't here, he could find a better mother for them", "My poor parents..... what did they do so wrong to end up with such a waste of space as me as a daughter, I'm such a burden on them, just think how much happier they would be if I just wasn't here". Yes, in a rational brain these seem ridiculous, but when that has been switched off, your thought process is telling you that taking your own life will make everyone you care about happier. You have lost the ability to empathise with what the real consequences will be. And those quotes are from a real woman, which I can happily say got better :-)

Wow, I had no idea Lauren and I appreciate you sharing it with us!  When you put it like that Faith, it's scary to think how all of a sudden one person could lose the ability to empathise and potentially commit suicide without being able to properly think it through.  I knew a girl who lived around the corner from us (was actually a school friend of my older sister) who committed suicide due to depression, I didn't really know her enough to really understand why.