forge197

Tyres and Wheels

Talking out loud really not sure which way to go with this welcome any input or personal experiences.

1) take the GoodYear F1's off current wheels, bin them and put on AD08R's seems a bit of waste as they aren't very old but they are pretty shocking on the track.

2) new set of wheels with Yoko Advan AD08R on them and keep the current wheels with F1 for road use only

3) keep using the F1 on the current wheels until completely trashed.and just live with the way they are on track as only do 4 -5 track days a year.

Intend keeping 17" don't have an interest in bigger wheels.

I have a track day in September booked so bit of time to make a call.

Have ebay search for OEM wheels incase any come up. :)

Maybe just put on Yoko V105s and use them on the road and track? 

If you're running stock suspension I don't think AD08Rs are going to work too well anyway. 

Maybe just put on Yoko V105s and use them on the road and track? 

If you're running stock suspension I don't think AD08Rs are going to work too well anyway. 

Will look at the V105's

I am running stock suspension why do you think the AD's wouldn't work well with this setup?

Paul (Thomas) tried running 888's on stock suspension. He was still slower than my car on V105s. The stock suspension didn't look too good on track with this setup. I think it just shows you need to balance out, i.e., not too much grip on a stock setup, but you can of course run grippier tyres when you've upgraded your suspension. If that's what you want of course. 

I'd never considered too much grip quite interesting, wasn't planning on changing the suspension as I like the current ride and height so would prefer to get this right on the standard setup.  Just need to find then some tyres that work well with stock and don't trash the edges after one good sesson :)  looks the the 105 is a good candidate.

I have done a few hard miles on sticky tyres and stock suspension while waiting on coilovers, as Lauren says it gets out of balance withthe extra grip. I think there is a fine line between grip and suspension bei g in harmony.

On the road have found the F1's better than the Primacy in wet and dry, it's on the track that they have shown there not a track tyre even an occasional track tyre. 

In fact if I just used the car on the road then I'd be very pleased with F1's as replacement to the Primacy.

Lauren had discussed how the previous gen F1 was on the track and indeed was correct with this view :P

Interesting on having too much grip and pairing the tyre and suspention to complement each other, something to look at.

so why do I  keep sliding on the roundabouts where Michelins' weren't? I have to admit, fronts are better on a grip but rears are worse. maybe a pressure setup? oh and on cruise, over 90mph, car is like slightly jumping constantly.

PS: my tyres are 18" now but suspension is still the stock. could it be an inch difference? Who will check this setup if so?

I'd never considered too much grip quite interesting, wasn't planning on changing the suspension as I like the current ride and height so would prefer to get this right on the standard setup.  Just need to find then some tyres that work well with stock and don't trash the edges after one good sesson :)  looks the the 105 is a good candidate.

Go for the higher 'Y' rated ones as they will have stiffer sidewalls.

so why do I  keep sliding on the roundabouts where Michelins' weren't? I have to admit, fronts are better on a grip but rears are worse. maybe a pressure setup? oh and on cruise, over 90mph, car is like slightly jumping constantly.

PS: my tyres are 18" now but suspension is still the stock. could it be an inch difference? Who will check this setup if so?

Any idea on the weight of your wheels. Bigger wheels mean more unsprung weight which may cause the damping to struggle to keep up. 

But if you want stiffer sidewalls..... 

Road compliance as it turns out seems just fine with the higher load rating. I did come from stretched Primacy's though which seemed to have no compliance at all. 

When I put these tyres on I could feel the flex in the sidewall on the first corner I turned into when I took it on the track. I think the slight increase in sidewall height proportionately ensures that it's not too much for the road really. 

But if you want stiffer sidewalls..... 

Road compliance as it turns out seems just fine with the higher load rating. I did come from stretched Primacy's though which seemed to have no compliance at all. 

When I put these tyres on I could feel the flex in the sidewall on the first corner I turned into when I took it on the track. I think the slight increase in sidewall height proportionately ensures that it's not too much for the road really. 

I'd sacrifice a little road compliance for better track performance.

I run 17's so can't really comment on the 18's, only driven one GT86 with 18's and not sure what tyres that had.  Your comments on the F1's are the opposite of what I've found at least with the smaller size, think there great on the road, I don't speed as I have a number of points and don't need or want any more hence the trackdays :) so not sure what there like on cruise at that speed, and I don't use cruise on the track :D

Might be pressure maybe to much, or the wheels you have are heavier than stock and that's affecting the feel.

Any idea on the weight of your wheels. Bigger wheels mean more unsprung weight which may cause the damping to struggle to keep up. 

so what is the solution or what should i have to do? car is like jumping or i feel that way. never heard that before. will it cause lose control?

weight is 25lbs, 11.36kg (bit heavy tho)

11.36kg is heavy. For comparison standard is 9.2kg (mine are 7.4kg). You could leave as is, get lighter wheels or uprate your suspension. 

It's unlikely to cause you to lose control. 

I liked F1's, (made in Germany, the others are cr*p) both on road and track... 17" rims. They are sensitive to pressure, I found. My optimum was 28psi cold, 30-32psi hot..

I still have them on Rota Blitz 8" rims (for sale) as I am now using Team Dynamics 9" rims with Michelin Sport 3's for road and track. Agree with Lauren - if you want to use grippier tyres on road and track you need to think about upgrading your suspension.

(Forge - I have a set of Rota Titans 17" x 9" with ADO8's (not R's) fitted if you want to try 'em. Biggest problem is transporting them...)

Spec K 

Michelin Sport 3's for road and track. Agree with Lauren - if you want to use grippier tyres on road and track you need to think about upgrading your suspension.

(Forge - I have a set of Rota Titans 17" x 9" with ADO8's (not R's) fitted if you want to try 'em. Biggest problem is transporting them...)

Spec K

I did want avoid suspension mods it maybe become and inevitability :)

Kind offer where are you based?

Forge - I am based in East London. 

I can get all four wheels into my car - just - but it leaves no room for jack/tools/etc. and my knees are up by my ears.

Spec K

Teg - 32 or 30 hot is fine... 32 cold will give you 35-36psi, which is Primacy pressure. Unless you are filling your tyres with nitrogen (Costco) you need to set them cold 3-4psi under what temp. you want to drive them at.

Spec K