AJ124

Hello

Hi,

Just signed up so thought I'd say hello, had my gt86 8 weeks now and still love it although I have started on the slippery modding slope.

Cars a 63 plate grey 86, currently got a panel filter and updated pads. And I have some powerflex bushes and hel lines sat here waiting to go on.

It's a slope I know all too well... I actually ordered my panel filter before I collected the car, next decision is exhaust.

Welcome aboard! :)

I think the GT is a car that you personalise according to your own tastes. It's all good fun though, if expensive once you get going! 

Welcome to the club dude, glad you could join us!  And yes, this car is designed to be modified/personalised to each taste.....even if parts are limiting in the UK.....you just need to be willing to search a lil further to be more unique :D  Keep up posted with your mods and do post pics.....we all love pics :D

Spec K, there's a track orientated reason behind the pad and line upgrade ;). Think I might change the standard tyres first though! Not sure how many laps I would get on them...

There is also a FI saving jar on my desk.

Spec K, there's a track orientated reason behind the pad and line upgrade ;). Think I might change the standard tyres first though! Not sure how many laps I would get on them...

There is also a FI saving jar on my desk.

Good for you! Pad/line upgrade is a good starter - I would suggest fluid upgrade at the same time.. oh, and look at a 'maser cylinder brace'.... makes a big difference, if braking is your forte...

Standard tyres are, imho, the pits, despite protestations by the purists such a Lauren.   Admittedly the car has been engineered - beautifully - around the Primacys and it is a joy to drive... for the numptys...

... but then we mature -  up from silly tail-hanging around roundabouts at 30mph/ drifting to impress the 90-year-old flatulent female Fiat 500 driver behind -  and strive to achieve what Todosan required in the first place - develop the car to our own character.

You will review all sorts of silly nonsense on this - and in every - Forum. (Such as 'nitro'.... McEnroe comment..'you can not be serious!' ).

Difference here, so far, is that no-one is trying to score points. And you'll get genuine feedback on what's good/bad. Except for polishes, afterwax, snowfoam, bling... -------->

(... follow the arrow if that is your bag.. )

YMMV..

Spec K

To be fair Keith, there are some of us who enjoy balancing the car on the throttle and the standard tyres certainly enable that. 

It's not for 'numptys', given stock power levels it allows you to play with the chassis and the tyres last forever on track. 

I'd say if you're really into the driving aspect, i.e., you like to play with the chassis, certainly track it with stock tyres on first. You'll learn loads about the balance of the car and not at silly speeds. 

Remember anyone can stick a turbo on and go fast in a straight line....  :P

I agree it allows you to play with the chassis, Lauren.... but why? Why would anyone want to play with the chassis when the limiting factor is the tyres? And one's personal skill (or lack of it), of course..

And learning the balance of the car on std. tyres is no yardstick to how it will handle/perform on different tyres.. it's comparing Mr. Whippy with Carte D'or..

And I don't agree that anyone can stick a turbo on and go faster in a straight line.  Not without a 100% effective gearbox they can't...

Spec K

Fluid upgrade will go in with the lines, I did look at the master cylinder brace, but the appear expensive for what the are. Might look at making one myself.

I appear to have opened a can of rubber worms...

I like the silly slidey tyres until i'm on a decent bit of road and then I find they are lacking, especially under braking, ABS kicking in too often even under what I consider average brake pressure. 

Have had pilot sport 3's and eagle F1's on my previous car and they were excellent imo. So personally I will change away from the stock tyres when they need changing.

But I might track it with whats left of the stock tyres and then see what happens.

Not wanting a track monster as I already own a stripped and caged golf Gti with a mate for those duties :)

I agree it allows you to play with the chassis, Lauren.... but why? Why would anyone want to play with the chassis when the limiting factor is the tyres? And one's personal skill (or lack of it), of course..

And learning the balance of the car on std. tyres is no yardstick to how it will handle/perform on different tyres.. it's comparing Mr. Whippy with Carte D'or..

And I don't agree that anyone can stick a turbo on and go faster in a straight line.  Not without a 100% effective gearbox they can't...

Spec K

It's fun, that's why you'd want to play with the balance of the chassis. It's the forte of the car after all. If you over tyre your car then you are just driving within the grip limits which IMO takes away the skill and more importantly the fun aspect away. 

I've now got stickier tyres on my car in a misguided attempt to compete in the TSS. However, having spent 35K miles on stock tyres and switching to the more sticky tyres, the inherent balance hasn't changed, so what I learnt on stock tyres is extremely relevant I think. It just grips more and means it tends to slide at higher speeds than it did before which is good and bad. 

As for your gearbox, well maybe you should have gone back to old tech. ;)

The stock tyres take track abuse extremely well. They go off after about four laps or so, but then stay consistent so you can hang the rear end out as much as you like, they just seem to last and last. 

Should of got a pudding stirrer hey Keith?

Had that been the only choice I would not have bought a GT86.

I am really looking forward to giving the new 'box a workout next Saturday... be interested to get others opinions, as well..

I consciously went for the full-out Stage 2 version and the upchange is particularly fierce (as warned) when transmission fluid is cold.. it still lags on change between 4th/5th/6th but this is a emu programming issue which I don't think can be resolved until someone breaks the Toyo code.. they've been talking about this on the FT86 Forum..

With the modified transoil sump, transoil cooler and auxiliary pump the system now takes 6litres of fluid against the 4litres of the stock auto... the extra fluid is 'static' within the system until you flick the switch (only necessary on sustained trackday-type effort) and the heat dissipation by the fan-assisted cooler is awesome.. may consider using a thermo-sensor-couple-thingey for this to get rid of the dashboard switch, we'll see..

... and the AVO 3" exhaust sound is, err, interesting...  totally right foot dependant, can lull a baby to sleep or give it the screaming abjabs... :ph34r:

The valve mods to the Tein rear dampers (and the 'matching' jig setup for the fronts)  have changed the ride characteristics by a substantial margin. It is now comparably stiff, so I need to do a lot of rework on settings - probably start with Pitman's road setup and get both Adrian's and Mark's feedback at Millbrook end of the month.

All good fun....

Spec K

Hi & Welcome from another Sussex Member :)

Thanks, based on the fact you have red tow hooks its probably you I saw in Horsham a couple of Fridays ago?