tegunulgener

Tegun's...

I have a question...

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

or

Goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetric?

According to EU tyre labels, (A is best and G is worse)

Goodyear Noise: 70dB, Wet grip: A, Fuel efficiency: C

Michelin: Noise: 71dB, Wet grip: A, Fuel efficiency: E

Some say, Michelin, some say Goodyear. They all same price but what I am looking for is grip and reliability. Well, actually reliability is important. Grip is 2nd and economy is 3rd and noise... umm not important at all as i have non res exhaust lol

Any ideas?

Oh btw, 17" or 18"?

found these:

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/team-dynamics/imola/black/18-inch/225-40-18/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/y-max-186-mph

especially asking for Lauren

Looks terrific. I'm mad for 70s Porsche viper green....It'll only be a matter of time....(oh and money).

Lovely colour choice.

Think I will wrap, just need something that doesn't clash with my wheel colour.

A general rule of thumb I find works quite well when it comes to exhausts (I worked on pitlanes for a fair few years) is, if you think your exhaust is going to be loud, it will be. 

I have a Milltek non-res with 2nd cat delete and over pipe and I'm well within limits.  

I meant, I don't care about tyre noise because my exhaust is loud enough... it was sort of a joke. please Lauren, I know you are experienced driver and you seen more than me. I need your help on that wheel+tyre decision. I was reading about team dynamics imola and it has good reviews. I am definitely after a Y spoke alloys and definitely black. I wonder which one should I go for... 

Goodyear Noise: 70dB, Wet grip: A, Fuel efficiency: C

Michelin: Noise: 71dB, Wet grip: A, Fuel efficiency: E

17" or 18"?

TRD has no mods but handle with 18" so I guess 18 should be ok but which tyre? I am open for any suggestions...

The Michelin probably has more grip, hence worse efficiency rating. 

I like 17's personally, they are lighter and so that means less unsprung weight and you do notice it. My preference though. 

I'm getting a set of Yoko V105s in 225/45/17s fitted in a couple of weeks. 

Michelin:

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/team-dynamics/imola/black/18-inch/225-40-18/michelin/pilot-sport-2/y-max-186-mph

Goodyear:

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/team-dynamics/imola/black/18-inch/225-40-18/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-2/y-max-186-mph

however since you said 17 is better, there is no Michelin option. Mind you, I am not doing any track drives... All for road, motorway, daily etc...

I've heard from several people that the Pilot Sports are really good, but I've also heard from several other people say that the Eagle F1's are good, and then there are others that say the Continental Contact Sports 5 are really good, to be honest, I don't think many people will notice much difference between these 3 tyres as they all perform pretty well (not unless you get to test them back to back intensely).

Evo preferred the F1's over the v105's, then the Pilot Sports, then the Contact Sport 5's.  While Auto Express preferred the Contact Sports first, then the Pilot Sport and then the F1's.  Google Tyre Test 2014 or 2013 and there will be several articles that regarding tests to lots of tyres, it might be worth reading why those testers preferred one tyre over the other as it's all down to your own driving style and preferences.

What you might find though is that I believe the Eagle F1's are typically cheaper than the others now as they've been around for a while now (but we're only talking a couple of quid per wheel).  From the links you've posted up, if you're getting the tyres for the same price, maybe go for the more expensive Pilot Sports (and I'm sure you can get the Pilot Sports in 17"....maybe just not from that site)

thank you Keith. I think whatever I choose is going to have a better grip than stock Michelins. those Michelins (for rears) last to me about 13000 miles... fronts are still ok...and that was before exhaust and ECU upgrade lol

I also have a baby who is 5 months old. I want to have some grip, too. The problem is, I strongly believe those test results are biased by advertise and payments. I need really, a driver who experienced all... as you said, price difference is minimal so I am accepting that they all are same class tyres...

If you're going for just road stuff, then I would  go for the Contisport Contact 5. 

I won't use Goodyears after having bad experiences with the tread overhheating on track. That was GSD3's though. 

Teg - I was running Goodyear F1 Eagles XL until my TD rims arrived - I'm now running Michelin Sport 3's.

Hardly any difference in grip, both are very progressive. Sports are a little noisier on the road, both are very good in the wet.

Spec K 

Keith it was the GSD3's:

goodyear-eagle-f1-gsd3.jpg

The problem is because the tread blocks are so long, they overheat badly and delaminate. Not what you want really. 

Whilst I can push tyres quite hard on track, some brands seem to stand up to abuse far better than others. I tend to like Yoko's for this reason. 

G-Grid Ultralite... I've found nice looking 18" ones. Are they any good? Also he says, I need spigot rings which I never heard either. Is it safe to use? Again, I do drive fast sometimes and drift a bit but I don't do tracks. Any ideas about those alloys?

Also they come with Nankang Ultra Sport NS2 215/35/18/84W. I am not keen on Nankangs tbh but probably better than my stock Michelins. Not sure tho. Please help me to choose guys. Really don't know much about the tyres.