CHOSENMAN007

re- torque your wheels people;

Just after 2 weeks of having my enkei's fitted I decided to check my nuts. 120nm of torque dialed in on my wrench. Almost a quarter turn was given on 3 wheels bar 1 which I re- torqued at bhp due to a loose valve washer.

Makes you think, its something we don't check! Tire pressures yes. But be honest how often do you check your nuts?

Quarter turn after 2 weeks well almost a quarter. Imagine 2 months..

Not so sure on those with older wheels as I'm sure after time they seize slightly. But thoses with new fitments just sanity check your nuts!

Having had cancer in my right nut and been to see the Bulgarian surgeon (Lopabolokov) I can strongly recommend checking your nuts,  :blink:

Also as James says worth checking them on your car as well  :D

A story:

Years ago I was living at home. One wednesday evening I think it was, my Dad came home and took a look at my Spitfire parked outside

Dad: "Ian, I really think you need to get that tyre swapped, that front left is looking bald, go and put the spare on before you have an accident"

Me: "Dad, it'll wait until the weekend"

Dad: "No it won't"

Me:"It will, it's too late now, I'll sort it out on Saturday"

Dad:" If you won't do it, I'll do it..."

So Dad rushes outside, jacks up the Spit, removes the wheels and starts swapping them around so the best tread is on the rear driven wheels and the bald is in the boot...

Next morning is glorious. I am driving up the M1 towards J9 on my way to MK for work, roof down, lovely.

I have just overtaken a truck when I suddenly hear, KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK<....silence, BANG! and I see my nearside front wheel rolling away bouncing from the middle lane, towards the hard shoulder and over the armco, down the embankment. Meanwhile the front corner of the Spit has dropped and started to scrape and huge sparks are flying from where the disc is scraping along the road. I swerved to the left and was lucky to come to stop on the hard shoulder before hitting the barrier. The truck I had just overtaken pulled in in front. The driver got out

" I was just cruising along thinking how perfect it would be to be in a lovely little car like yours whe your wheel came off and bounced across in front of me, nearly gave me a heart attack!" said the driver.

Anyway the police arrived and managed to turn every single wheel nut remaining on the car at least half a turn.

We found the wheel that had come off in a tree in a field.

The front near side had worn through the lower wishbone and the disc was almost semicircular.....

Scary it was...

Lesson: always torque your nuts!

Having had cancer in my right nut and been to see the Bulgarian surgeon (Lopabolokov) I can strongly recommend checking your nuts,  :blink:

Also as James says worth checking them on your car as well  :D any relation to Chernobalfalloff famous Russian nuclear power staton worker

My Mutekis came with a reminder to re-torque after 100km.

Definitely worth checking when you check pressures...but then how frequently do people check pressure?

(In my extended family I'm the one that has to do everyone's tyres...otherwise they don't get done)

Twice a week for pressures mate. Especially on hot days where it goes up a psi or 2.

Do send pics of thoses wheel nuts. Also let us know how you get on with them. Heard a few bad reviews ie they rust and scrape wheels but it should be good mate.

Twice a week for pressures mate. Especially on hot days where it goes up a psi or 2.

Do send pics of thoses wheel nuts. Also let us know how you get on with them. Heard a few bad reviews ie they rust and scrape wheels but it should be good mate.

These are narrow, so the only place they're in contact with the wheels is the tapered bit, even with the adapter on, there's very little chance of touching the wheel.

However, we'll see when I take them off...I like the black on gold contrast - don't stand out too much and the tyres are awesome, but I went for 88s not XL 92s

IMG_20140608_194221_zps414c2259.jpg

Image below is off ebay, courtesy of where I bought them :) Bloody amazing service - they were with me within 48hrs of pressing "buy"!

$T2eC16dHJG!E9nm3rIdEBRY+DGjysQ~~60_12.J

Couldnt you get softer sidewalls on the Yokohamas?

I've used Michelin's a lot in the past and been pleased with them, so stuck with them. I noticed a lot of people complaining about ride quality on Yoko's before and I think it was down to the much stiffer sidewalls

Lol.. Mate these are the best tires I have ever used. I've had most brands on other cars. The complaints must be for the ad08s or paradas which are track tires. Even the old v103s. The v105s are a different story. Only negative I can say is due to the stickiness of the tire your fuel eco suffers. But who buys a sports car and tunes it with fuel on mind!

These yoko's ride very well on 30psi. The reviews say it all really. They beat conti's, Michelin's, bridge stones and the rest bar the good year eagles who gripped better in the dry taking 1st yoko's 2nd. The yoko's had better wet grip taking first.

That's a Evo review. And I totally agree. Amazing tire. That's why its the OEM tire for the new rs6.also they look very aggressive compared to euro brands.

post-315-0-96839300-1402593329_thumb.jpg

I went for the Y extra load rating for a stiffer sidewall was the theory. 

A stiffer sidewall does make the ride stiffer, though ironically it's a better ride than I had on the stretched Primacy's that I had before on my 8" rims. It's a personal preference really but a stiffer sidewall gives better feel and the shoulders don't rub off when used on track. 

I've tried tyres with softer sidewalls before and admit I'm not a fan. Personal preference and all that. James, did you go for the X or Y load rating just out of interest? 

In terms of reviewing the Advan Sport V105s I've only really driven them hard in the dry so far, they are very grippy and again compared to the stretched Primacys the sidewall perhaps unsurprisingly feels a little softer. This does mean you feel the tyre settle as you load it up, whereas with the Primacys there was not much of that so they handled very sharply indeed. Obviously the grip levels of the Yokos way surpass the Primacy's. 

My initial impressions of the limited wet driving I've managed to do so far in the last week is that they will grip very well indeed. Progression seems good, but I could really do with a wet track day or at least some rain on a well sighted A road. It will happen at some point of course! 

James it's 'Tyre' btw.  :P