GT86Jay

Brembo STi Front Brake Kit Fitted

Here's a few images of the Brembo STI kit fitted on my GT86. 

This is the front kit of the 2005+ Subaru Impreza STI. It's a straight forward bolt on job. (Almost)

You have to swap the bleeders from top to bottom which is a real pain! I had to get a machine shop to ease them out with heat and lots of grease. 

There are rumours that you can just fit these upside down on the other side. Which puts the bleeder on top. But the problem is they're differential bore callipers. Which means the pistons are different sizes top and bottom. To improve braking and pad wear. Fitting them upside down will cause problems. And also has issues with noise and brake feel.

The rotors are 326mm over the 295mm stock. and under 17" wheels really fill the gap! 

IMAG0200_zps89de6db4.jpg

I also fitted stainless steel brake lines. Which definitely improve brake feel and responsiveness. 

IMAG0205_zps6bd0bef2.jpg

To finish the look off I painted the rear callipers in the same Brembo gold to match. Planning to get the rear Brembo kit to match. But it's slightly rarer as you need the 2008+ kit if you want a bolt on job rather than having to make brackets etc. So got my eye out for a good pair. 

IMAG0203_zpse8432b2c.jpg

Overall I am extremely pleased with this kit! The brake feel is awesome. Can feel serious stopping power and the braking is solid and smooth! I'm running Pagid Fast Road Pads in them. Haven't felt any problem with brake bias / fronts being over braked. 

IMAG0208_zpsa29cdc50.jpg

IMAG0210_zps4c428352.jpg

IMAG0212_zps402c6adf.jpg

IMAG0213_zpsa4681cdc.jpg

Very very pleased and impressed with the setup! 

P.S - Sorry for the dirt. Haven't had time to clean it yet. My arches will never be as clean as Pitmans! But to his relief, my Brembo covers are now gone!! And will post the evidence on here later! ;) 

Great stuff Jay! I can't wait to have a try....

I had a complete brake revamp at Fensport yesterday - new pads, fluid and overhaul, including a 'tweak' which we feel will make a difference.. still bedding in but they feel 100% better... Prestcott, here we come!

I am looking to fabricate air ducting to the front disks but to get what I would like requires modifying the foglight bezels to provide the intake... anyone know a really switched-on 3D plastics printer to design/make customised parts?

Spec K

Keethos, OEM wheels wont fit, not quite enough clearance I believe. I'd be doing this otherwise..... Most aftermarket 17" has enough spoke clearance. You could probably do it by machining off some of the caliper, but then it's far more work.

Here's a link to a BBK(ish) kit that will fit that uses the OEM calipers:

http://www.racingbrake.com/322x25mm-2-from-277x24mm-p/2127-k-01.htm

SpecK, it's not so simple as the fog light bezels. You'd need to route the pipework under the front arches, tere's no direct route... I've yet to see a good (if any?) solution and the Yanks have tried a few ways so far with little/no success. Unless you're willing to cut through the arches.....

EDIT - SpecK:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28354

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39099

Keethos, OEM wheels wont fit, not quite enough clearance I believe. I'd be doing this otherwise..... Most aftermarket 17" has enough spoke clearance. You could probably do it by machining off some of the caliper, but then it's far more work.

But would adding some small pacers to the stock wheels work like Spec had to do with his K-Sport ones?

But would adding some small pacers to the stock wheels work like Spec had to do with his K-Sport ones?

Possibly, might be worth seeing if the Yanks have done it or if Jay has the time to swap wheels over. I'm not a fan of spacers though so it would rule that out straight away for me. If I was attempting something under the OEM rim, the link I provided above would be my solution.

TBH, under the OEM rim these would be fairly lost anyway I reckon.

Stock wheels require a 20mm spacer to fit behind. Not to bad as this would actually bring the OEM wheels out to sit flush with my arch with a 35mm drop... I have no plans to switch back to OEM wheel soon though! 

Great stuff, Jay. Tbh a bit more front brake bias is preferable for trail braking anyway. :)

Yeah, you can't feel it to be honest. The only time you do notice it is locking up. The fronts lock and can feel the car eager on the front. But really don't think it's a problem. And TBH I could spend quite a bit more on better rear pads which might improve. 

The limiting factor now are the primacy tyres though! 

Awesome stuff Jay, you fit that yourself then?  Do stock wheels fit alright?  How much did you spend on this kit etc?

Yeah I fitted it myself as it was pretty much unbolt the old stuff and bolt the new ones on. The only thing I didn't do was swap the bleeders and had a quick go and realised I was very quickly going to round of the nut inside! Got a local machine shop to do it with heat and the right tools for £20. 

Then just had help bleeding the brakes. Took about a solid 4 - 5 hours including all the brake lines, rear calliper painting all fitting and full bleeding. 

For anyone wondering if this actual brake mod works or is recommended. Looks like Subaru are playing around with it.... 

Mine are really bedding in well and getting better and better. 

The concept BRZ STI has STI Brembo Calipers fitted..... And they are the same version as the impreza sti brembos. Not a new design for the BRZ...

Subaru-BRZ-STI-Concept-side-view.jpg

Subaru_BRZ_STi_Concept_-_Flickr_-_Moto@C

LFA -  cooked 'em by exerting extreme welly/late braking over multiple trackday laps... it's a real bummer that the ASP Racing kit doesn't fit within 17" rims.. I'm trying a tweak at the moment which seems to be very effective on the road, we'll see how it fares next week at Millbrook..

Jay - a really nice mod...

Steve - if it's holes in the arches then it has to be.. I do not want to dispense with the fog lights and there's no space within my radiator area for any more tubing..

Spec K

That could have been far far neater. Shame really.

Yeah, I agree. All he really needed to make it look clean was a proper backplate adapter. I can't imagine it's easy to get hold of though and as you'll never be able to see it anyway, I guess you can get away with it.