Greggo86

Oil filler cap left of by dealer! Advice pls!!!

Hi all - not posted in a while...
Put my pride and joy in for its first service last week (won't mention where ATM), and a week later after a 45 min run to Mcr Airport and back, & three short runs to the shops - I noticed a drip trail of oil onto my driveway.

I popped the hood and omg smiley5.gif 
The fuel filler cap was not screwed on (although carefully placed nearby resting on some of the cooling lines), and yes you've guessed it - oil everywhere!!! Checked underneath - oil everywhere!!!
I checked the level - nothing on the stick. Not a drop.
So I called the dealer, who immediately apologised, accepted responsibility and arranged to pick it up. During the week after the service I had no warning lights btw, no smell, engine noises other than the usual purr etc.
Am awaiting a diagnosis. They have fed back that having filled it up with a measured amount of oil to the max level, drained it all out they calculate approx 2.5l of the 5.4l remained in the engine. They are relieved but confident there has been no damage and will provide written assurance they will underwrite any subsequent problems.

Anyway - my question oh oracles of internal combustion - what checks should I ask them to do in addition to assure me that it will not fail as a result of any damage suffered?

Thanks as ever 
smiley2.gif

If the oil was low at high revs then it makes itself apparent quite quickly, see what my Celica sounded like here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiGmvw9DcE

The oil warning light didn't come on until after the nasty noise!

Does anyone know if there's a magnet in the sump? If so that could be checked

I presume that you didn't get a engine warning light (CEL) ?

Alec

Well that's not very reassuring, dealers leaving caps off! At least they have accepted liability... Alec, fairly sure there is no magnet in the sump. I think you will be fine, but my knowledge doesn't spread far :P

If it was running with poor oil circulation for a period of time then there may be damage to the internals of the engine, it's questionable as to whether the circulation was running effectively whilst you was driving (as you should have had a oil level light or CEL if it was abnormal condition). It may be that your engine was getting enough oil when it was running and you were lucky that it had no effect.

But we don't know if it was OK or not, internals may have sustained damage which may not be detectable by any checks they can do unless they strip the engine (even then they may not know now). Most internals will have worn significantly faster than normal, and may have sustained damage from lack of lubrication and cooling. Problems from this may not arise for years- after the warranty expires, and damage of this type of nature could blow your engine apart which is not a cheap repair!

Toyota would immediately reject any claim for warranty if it was YOUR fault for letting an engine run with oil, so by principle they should accept responsibility on damaging your engine and replace it. As the issue was 100% their fault, I don't think they can decline this, though I expect they will fight against it. Make it clear to them that you are prepared to escalate the claim. If you don't want to make a fuss, at least get an extended engine warranty.

Easy mistake for them to make, but it will cost them if they are honourable.

Wow, that's pretty bad, question is do you plan on keeping the car long long term as the way I see it, if there were issues because of this, then you'll prob won't experience them till later in the engines life but I'm also no expert. The suggestion of an extended engine warranty is a good shout for piece of mind.

not sure on this type of engine if you really want to make a fuss see if the sump can be took off with engine in and drop a end cap off to see if shells show signs of lack of lube but it is amazing at the amount of oil that stays in sump when engine running but keep a close watch on it!

Providing the oil level didn't get too low you will not have a problem. 

It's poor, I agree, but really all you can do is get your dealer to top the oil up, carry on driving it, if there is a problem in the future which will surely be in the warranty period then I'm sure that Toyota will sort it for you even if it needs a new engine. 

You could check the oil pressure on the ODB app I think. But otherwise there aren't really an easy practical checks you can do. 

Steve's right, there is no oil pressure sensor as standard, just an "It's too late" pressure switch, if that come's on it's already knackered!

Alec