rob275

Thoughts on all the Muslim happenings?

I tend to get in to a lot of heated discussions about this, not with Muslims, but people who tar me as racist or imply so on the matter. Perhaps I don't understand "Sharia" law. Which i don't of course because I find religion in it's entirety bullshit.

But Subway changing 200 branches to Halal Meat (Meaning no breakfast subs due to no pork or ham) is a massive PITA for me. I live in Croydon, it has a broad community of many races & religions, no problem but why should I substitute my breakfast sub with turkey rather than bacon because their law doesn't permit it. 

Also Lloyds bank allowing people to open up Muslim bank accounts with no charge for going in to your overdraft. But you are allowed one even if you aren't Muslim. I mean I wouldn't have one out of principle of the name, why do they get preferential treatment over other religions or non-religious people such as myself. They could just ask for no overdraft on their account?

I genuinely hope someone is Muslim here to help me understand :S

Pandering to religionists has become fashionable.

It's despicable.

God is a man made abstract concept and deserves total and utter contempt as far as I am concerned.

How can anyone respect someone brain dead enough to believe in the bullshit? - they get zero respect from me.

Their beliefs (all religions) should not be allowed affect my life whether through law making or this politically correct pandering to minorities bullshit.

Follow me on twitter to see some of the rows I get into with religionists/US fundies/creationists/radical muslims et al @slagbass

Are the halal ones definitely not serving bacon? I thought the halal subways were like the vegetarian option in that it's halal where possible but non-halal options still exist? If the subways are removing non-halal options then I agree it's stupid, it'd be like having a vegetarian only subway!

As for Muslim bank accounts, I assume they're also forfeiting interest as they're not (by their law) allowed to profit from lending money which they're effectively doing. Does seem odd that non-Muslims can open one though...

I had a Subway a few weeks back in Newcastle under Lyme which I know is not exactly known for it's cultural diversity. I had a spicy Italian which features quite a bit of pork. 

Are the halal ones definitely not serving bacon? I thought the halal subways were like the vegetarian option in that it's halal where possible but non-halal options still exist? If the subways are removing non-halal options then I agree it's stupid, it'd be like having a vegetarian only subway!

As for Muslim bank accounts, I assume they're also forfeiting interest as they're not (by their law) allowed to profit from lending money which they're effectively doing. Does seem odd that non-Muslims can open one though...

The Sharia Law states (As far as I am aware) Pork & Bacon is forbidden, any pig basically. Other meats are allowed to be eaten but they must have their throat cut whilst still alive (Something which is illegal in the UK apart from the few Sharia approved places) This in itself in my opinion is inhumane. We shock the animals before slaughter so that it's painless to them. So they are replacing Pork with turkey in the Subway shops which are to be Halal only.

The problem is all the breakfast subs have pork. Who's going to want a turkey sub in the morning? A Muslim I s'pose? :)  Lauren, indeed, all the good subways actually have pork in them. Which sucks, I don't have them very often but when I do it generally has pork or bacon in it.

Personally i'll eat Halal Meat, despite the butchering being wrong, but why take the pork away? 

As for the bank accounts, it's an odd one I think they do forfeit any interest. The only reason they are letting non-muslims open one is so that riots aren't started.

Just read the story about it, and yea it's stupid. I have no issue with shops offering Halal as an option just like vegetarian is an option but there is no point removing other options. I'm pretty certain Muslim's can eat food from somewhere that isn't Halal as long as they avoid the meat so there is no real reason to remove pork based meats!

All you have to do is vote with your feet, I'm sure there will be somewhere offering Homer friendly breakfasts nearby

I have no interest in religion, but am worried about Daily Mail/UKIP scare stories stirring up racial hatred

Alec

No Rob, I wouldn't call you a racist, Muslim is a religion not a race, but still, this is bullsh*t, I don't mind companies having the option for Halal but to strictly cater for Halal sucks balls.  The government and lost of companies seem to be giving certain religions more and more priority over this countries underlying identity, I'm surprised we're still allowed to use the term Christmas or Easter considering the Yanks don't seem to be allowed to use the term any more (I think?).  I'm not a religious person in any way and think it's a load of bull and causes nothing but trouble, but I don't have a problem with people believing whatever they want to believe, as long as they're not forcing it upon others.

I've seen videos of large religious mobs filling UK streets, and spewing violent and racial slurs against the British non-Muslim citizens and no one was allowed to stop them from preaching that hateful stuff, hell Abu Hamza hated the UK yet he was happy to milk the government and the government bent over and just took it.  If they hate the UK so much they should just leave, but noooo, they expect to stay and force their religion on others and those who don't are threatened.  Obviously I'm ranting about the extremists rather than Muslims in general, I like to believe that all these changes and "priorities" are caused by extremists rather than the sensible Muslim believers.  I'd like to believe that there are still plenty of Muslims out there who are happy to co exist with those who don't believe in their religion.

What I want to know is if it's true that Muslims don't eat pork because they believe pigs to be dirty animals or something along those lines.

According to a pig farmer I used to know, a pig is the only farm animal which, if given the choice, WON'T wallow in its own dirt! I've had this conversation loads of times...

I'll not set foot in subway again unless they u-turn on this. I'm all for catering for everyone's palate. But not at the expense of "our" choices.

I wasn't a big fan anyway, meatball marinara with red onion and olives on herb & cheese bread was the only thing I liked...

I've heard that Rab, and the fact that they are relatively intelligent animals, but they're seen as just fat lazy slobs and this is only because they get penned up in a small area while being fed crap.....what else can they do?