Lauren

New steering wheel and gearbox poly bush

Was in to see Richard at RRG Macc this morning. 

Got one of those new steering wheels that Fensport sell. Richard gave me the keys to his TRD for the day which already has the steering wheel and poly bush for the gearbox fitted. 

By the time I got to work, I was on the phone to him asking him to fit the poly bush gearbox mount as it makes quite a difference to the gear change. No problem he said! 

I've got to say the poly bush makes the gear change just so much more precise. It really does feel snickety snick when you change gear. A great mod and not expensive either. 

I do like the new steering wheel too. It's 350mm so 10mm less in diameter than standard, but it's just so much more comfortable to hold. It has sculpted sections for your hands so they rest much more comfortably on the wheel at quarter to three. Also it's a little bit thicker which I think helps too. 

Here's a pic, though low light means it's a little poor: 

1383686_10151917146761467_196534152_n.jp

:)

Also bought a carbon gear knob when I was at Fensport last weekend. Really this was a 'comfort' purchase as I find the stitching on the front and rear of the OEM knob to be a bit coarse. 

This is a smooth knob which is much more comfortable:

10003928_10151907184036467_1672218698_n.

I think with the mileage I do, I've come to realise that comfort is important, hence the gear knob and the steering wheel. :)

Awesome Lauren, the only way I could describe the Whiteline Positive Shift Mount is that it made the gear changes more....well....positive, just like it says it does but I like your "snickety snick" description  :D

I could be tempted by the steering wheel too, even if it doesn't come in white instead of red  :P   I've still got the red bits on the seats and stitches.

@steveoexige - what does the subframe inserts involve and what changes do you feel?

@steveoexige - what does the subframe inserts involve and what changes do you feel?

They improve the drive of the car in a similar way to the gearbox inserts albeit they remove the slop from the rear end of the car with zero increase in NVH. Honestly guys the sub frame inserts are a must do mod. Dirt cheap and take about 20 mins to fit yourself. if anyone fits them and isnt impressed i'll think of a forfeit....how about a youtube clip of me taking frank the lamb out for a high speed lap of my fav B road? (Altho he does dribble on the seats).

Sorry not feeling the love for the steering wheel - it's a bit Graham Norton. How about getting your OE wheel wrapped in alcantara a la CSL?

I admit I would have preferred a wheel which was all black, but it's the way it feels to me that matters. Function over form and all that. 

I will add those bushes to the list when I get the suspenders changed. 

Just out of interest how did you find Maz's car in regard to the suspension and the supercharger? 

He is running 6/4kg springs on the HKS Super GT coilovers. 

Only just read all the thread, sorry mate - didn't realise its a smaller, chunkier wheel with an airbag. If you dont mind me asking how much was that? I'd like a quicker steering rack in the '86 and fitting a smaller steering wheel is almost as good  :)

I never got to drive Maz's car, hope to in the next week or so as I'm chomping at the bit to order my coil overs. From speaking to him though I'm almost sure I'll be going for the Hipermax SP coilovers which are still monotube design but have different valving and spring rates (8kg F & R) to the softer GT's. The SP's came out after the GT's and are more track focused. 

With all this Tein talk though I'm also looking at the Tein monoflex coilovers too......bloody nightmare - just when you think you've made a decision some bright spark makes you question everything  ;)

It's about £227 inc VAT. On the Fensport site if you have a look.

I drove Maz's car. I didn't like his spring rate of 6/4kg. It really doesn't work. Also it feels underdamped. 8kg is getting on for pretty firm, which I think would be too much for me.

You are right in relation to the majority of sub £2k coilovers in that the higher the spring rate the stiffer the ride. With a decent coilover spring rates are only half the story. I was running 11kgs springs (with Nitron coil overs) on my M3 when others were on 8's (with KW's) and honestly my car felt soft. You have to factor in the spring rates and the valving of the particular coil over. 

Spring rates only alter the speed and travel of the coil over piston into the coil over body - the coil over valving and internals do the complicated bit.  

I'm also wondering on the effect of my lighter wheels on the damper settings. I noticed that driving the TRD with it's heavier 18" rims, the damping felt better. In comparison to my lighter (7.4kg) wheels whereby it feels like the dampers can't keep up with them. 

Does anyone know if that poly bush is compatible with the auto? I had asked Adrian at the Fensport meet but he was going to check it out and I haven't spoken to him since; it's been on my to-do list since I first saw it.

Suppose I better add the subframe inserts too then ........ :)

Whiteline or superpro do the subframe bushes. Killers the labour though - I was quoted three hours labour. About £50 for the bush is ok but about £250 to fit seems a bit much!

Whiteline or superpro do the subframe bushes. Killers the labour though - I was quoted three hours labour. About £50 for the bush is ok but about £250 to fit seems a bit much!

They are an absolute f*cker to fit to be fair... lol

They improve the drive of the car in a similar way to the gearbox inserts albeit they remove the slop from the rear end of the car with zero increase in NVH. Honestly guys the sub frame inserts are a must do mod. Dirt cheap and take about 20 mins to fit yourself. if anyone fits them and isnt impressed i'll think of a forfeit....how about a youtube clip of me taking frank the lamb out for a high speed lap of my fav B road? (Altho he does dribble on the seats).

Sorry not feeling the love for the steering wheel - it's a bit Graham Norton. How about getting your OE wheel wrapped in alcantara a la CSL?

I'm confused, Steve says the subframe inserts are a 20minute self fit, yet Deacon 3hours of labour? :mellow:

Which is it, or are the inserts Steve mentions different from the bushes? Going to be going on my shopping list along with the gearbox mount for when the "Mod Day" arrives and the car changes rather a lot in one go :D