Twigman

Touch & Go DAB options

No worries on a related matter by a novice like me what are the advantages of DAB I take it when a station goes out of range you loose it like all car radio is it just a quality of signal thing?

DAB is Digital, so in theory sound quality is better and due to the band you can have a lot more stations on it.

There are obviously loads more stations to choose from but only space for 6 presets...but hey finding none preset stations is a piece of piss.

it sounds great with the OEM Audio+ set up and having that fitted caused no issues whatsoever. i mentioned it when i booked it in - Toyota seemed curious about the OEM Audio+ system rather than expressing any potential compatability issues ....I'll be going to Beaulieu (probably - ticket bought) so you can hear it there. (provided there's DAB coverage in the New forest)

good stuff, you got it cheaper as well didn't you for poking them?

Yes - way cheaper than they originally quoted but not cheap cheap

There are obviously loads more stations to choose from but only space for 6 presets...but hey finding none preset stations is a piece of piss.

it sounds great with the OEM Audio+ set up and having that fitted caused no issues whatsoever. i mentioned it when i booked it in - Toyota seemed curious about the OEM Audio+ system rather than expressing any potential compatability issues ....I'll be going to Beaulieu (probably - ticket bought) so you can hear it there. (provided there's DAB coverage in the New forest)

I don't have my DAB yet so wouldn't know, will have to copy you on this one :P But yeah will be interesting to compare sounds :)

I must say having had DAB for well over a year now, whenever I go back to FM, if I'm driving another car/courtesy car etc, I can't get over how crap FM is. The difference in quality is marked. 

The question is, do you get the same issues being digital as digital TV in the sense that if you don't have full signal, the audio will just keep on cutting out on you?  Where as with analogue, it'll just go a lil fuzzy but at least you can still listen to the music and what not.

Keith I'll answer that when it happens..drove from Milton Keynes to London and back to Dunstable today, mostly on back roads with no signal loss

Yes you do, Keith, it's either there or it's not. Also if you find a spot on your route where it drops out it will always drop out. 

Some places are terrible generally in rural locations, but it's a case of YMMV. For me, I listen to 6 Music so I can only get it on digital. The quality is much better though. 

Since the digital switch off of analogue TV, digital broadcasts (DAB and Freeview) have had their transmitter output boosted, so coverage should be as good (if not far better) than FM.

I'd like to be able to listen to 5live and 6music on the go, but not enough for that sort of price - but what I can't get my head around is why Toyota never fitted it as standard to begin with given how recently the car was launched and how long DAB has been around...

I'm sitting in my Toyota dealers as I write this having it fitted to mine. Although they've just told me that the guide toyota sent doesn't match the car at all, so it may take a little longer. Shall wait and see.

took about 40minutes for mine then a further 20 minutes waiting for the paperwork to be sorted

The manual they give you doesn't look like the device in the slightest.....to shuffle through stations press the forward and backward buttons. to save to a preset press the slot number on the screen for a couple of seconmds.

simples

Well they've failed to fit it this time, instructions Toyota gave the dealers didnt match the car, and I'm DABless still. Have sent them some "further reading" hopefully they'll be in touch soon..

Bumpty bump

Twigman, what orientation did they fit the antenna on yours? Just had mine done today, reception is rather poor, the dealer isn't sure why and said try it in my normal area and see how it is. I seem to recall yours is mounted vertically? Mines horizontal, would that make much difference?

Also what does yours look like on the head unit? Any chance of a couple of pictures?

My aerial is vertical, parallel to the A pillar on the passenger side of the windscreen.

Reception is perfect.

I suspect orientation is critical as it is in most other applications.

I have no idea what the DAB module looks like as i have not removed the HU from the dash to take a look.

I don't plan to either.