Lauren

Cracked wing mirror news

In a little bit of a rush, parking up for a work emergency, but obviously my own stupid fault. 

Was reversing next to a telegraph pole looking in the bottom corner of the mirror so I didn't kerb my wheels. The pole was a bit closer than I thought and bent the mirror back cracking the black plastic surround. All works okay, though will need a new black plastic surround at least of course. :(

563324_10151766287756467_966698007_n.jpg

I did manage to pop the surround over the mirror, so it may have pulled the surround away from the housing. Will try and have a look tomorrow, but looks like a trip to RRG Macc come Monday morning! 

hmm that sucks :(, haven't driven mine for a while :o off down to the grasshopper tomorrow though :)

Can you even get the surround on its own? I know you can get the back bit but the black bit not sure.

:(  Ouch, not good Lauren, hopefully it won't be too expensive to sort out.  I managed to curb my front drivers side wheel....2 scratches around the outer rim about an inch in length each....and this was on my drive way  <_<

Tis a pity, I'm hoping Mark can have a quick look at it today as it might just pop back together. I admit my skills in this area aren't brilliant. 

Mirror is secure though and the mounting isn't affected, but like Rob said, can you get individual parts for it?

Good news, had a jiggle around with it this morning and managed to clip it all back together properly. You'd hardly know were it not for a crack in the plastic on the inside of the top corner. 

I smashed my mirror housing into 5 pieces going into a gate post in the dark. The glass and mechanism was fine but unfortunately Toyota in their wisdom only sell complete units (over £500 which is eye vwatering). Thankfully my favourite local indy body shop bloke managed to glue everything back together and re-spray it perfectly for a fraction of the price and now even I struggle to spot that it was ever broken in the first place!

£500 is not what I want to be spending really! 

But, the good news is that now I've clipped it back together, you just wouldn't really notice. You can only see it from the driver's seat really if you look up into the corner of the mirror housing. Externally there is nothing to see, so I may well leave it. 

Actually the list is around £550-odd with VAT, a nice friendly dealer (*cough* RRG Macc) could get it down to nearer £500 and not charge fitting but it is still a massive price as the central problem is you can't get the housing separately, you have to get the whole mirror unit even when you have just damaged the plastic. Absolute madness, and made worse by the almost complete lack of breaker parts....

I'm not convinced it's worth the effort at the moment, Mark. Damage is so minimal you'd argue if it's worth worrying about. 

Will take my time, January is a busy month. Will wait and see if anything pops up in coming months, no rush to sort it out really. 

For £500 I think I need to be more careful reversing out in the mornings, it's a pretty tight reverse and have come millimetres away from scraping the passenger's mirror.

If you can only see where the crack is because you know about it, I would definitely leave it, in a few months you'll probably forget it exists at all!

This is why my one that got wiped out got glued back together, just bought the glass and the body colour backshell as they can be bought separately. The black bit just got a liberal application of epoxy resin on the inside where it can't be seen when the new glass was fitted

Alec

after that, i would go for carbon fiber kits. they are around £100. lol no way I would pay £500. no way!

well, at least you are ok with it now...

btw, is it me?

Whenever I reverse the car, I can not go straight. It always tends to go right. I am thinking it goes straight but when I check it it is quite right actually. I owned BMW, Mercedes, fiesta, mustang, yaris, MR2... none of them had this problem. This is really annoying me now... Seriously annoying. I feel like I can not drive but I do drive...

Teg - the carbon fibre stuff is great if you crack the top colour coded part, however you cannot get a complete mirror housing in carbon fibre and so if you crack the bottom or side main plastic housing, and assuming there are no breaker parts available (and the car is too new for there to be unless you are very lucky at someone else's expense) then it is a repair job or a big cheque for Toyota. Why they can't sell the plastic parts separately is beyond me, particularly as a few of us have now had similar problems with the plastic housings...

@Cpt. Duff: thought housing was fine....did i misread it?

@Spec K: 4 wheel alignment been done in very recently...

Teg, I was referring to the steering wheel, not your road wheel alignment... where they put a 'yoke' under the pedals, centre your steering wheel precisely and then clamp the two together, then adjust the track rod control arms to bring the front wheels into alignment...

...thus, if your steering wheel is centred you are travelling backwards in a straight line... mind the post!!  ;)

Spec K