Sign in to follow this  
GT86-Ian

Supercharger or Turbo

Now I'm no expert, don't have a clue what makes a car run, but I do love my sports cars:32 (1):Superchargerok on Saturday I was lucky enough to get a drive in Marks supercharged GT86, now I've never driven any form of forced induction car before & was quite surprised how well the supercharger worked, before hand I had been worried about the noise from the charger & anyone who knows me I don't like noise :32 (33):Luckily the sound from the charger is very minimal it only comes into play when your really pushing it.Driving the car applying the gas you can really tell when the power comes in, quite a bit more power & the car really did go well, the only negative was coming off & going back on the power you got a bit of lag, but maybe that's something Mark can sort out in time.TBH I could of done with a longer drive & traffic didn't help but it was a good drive.PS the cobra exhaust on the car sounded fantastic.A few others got to drive Marks car so please chip in with your thoughts :)TurboDave (Pitman) was very kind enough to let me test his turbo car today @ Fensport.The AVO Turbo has been out for quite some time now, I've been following its progression on the ft86 club forum, quite a few members have gone for this setup without any issues (not saying there are any issues with the charger).Plus points for me are the fitment, turbo low down in the engine bay & OEM look once the install is complete, to me this looks much better than the supercharger...Driving Dave's turbo, first thing I noticed what how stiff the new helix organic clutch was but after a few minutes you don't notice it at all, Now when anyone mentions turbo I always read about lag, but with Dave's car I didn't notice any, power comes in from about 3k & just keeps going & going, you put your foot down & the car fly's, with the supercharger you can tell more when the powers coming online, with the turbo its just smoother & natural progression all the way to the red line.Dave's car still has the stock exhaust fitted the car it was dead quiet & you didn't notice how fast you really was going:32 (1): but boy does it move:32 (12):oh & no poxy whoosh:32 (13):Supercharger or Turbo now that's your choice, Dave & I have made ours.:32 (13):Again thanks to Dave for kindly letting me drive his car today :+:Disclaimer the person above has no clue what he's talking about........

Good man Ian, so when's the big day? What exactly will you be getting (stages, additional kit etc)?But I'm confused.....how can the Cobra exhaust sound fantastic when it was proper loud and aggressive when you like no noise? :32 (18): You're guna hate mine my exhaust when I get it :32 (17):

Great write up, Ian - it was a real pleasure to meet you today. Thank you also very much for the lift to the station :)I will post a video of my car on the weekend with the new exhaust fitted (weather permitting)Dave

Don't forget the Litchfield. A rotrex supercharger will give quite a different delivery, more peaky so you'll need to rev it more, but there again, there's no harm in that. Just a thought as I wonder if the delivery may well suit the car the most. I still haven't read the EVO track article yet!

Good man Ian, so when's the big day? What exactly will you be getting (stages, additional kit etc)?But I'm confused.....how can the Cobra exhaust sound fantastic when it was proper loud and aggressive when you like no noise? :32 (18): You're guna hate mine my exhaust when I get it :32 (17):

Yes I'm confused too with the exhaust, maybe my new berk front pipe will make mine more vocal once the turbo is fitted.

Don't forget the Litchfield. A rotrex supercharger will give quite a different delivery' date=' more peaky so you'll need to rev it more, but there again, there's no harm in that. Just a thought as I wonder if the delivery may well suit the car the most. I still haven't read the EVO track article yet! [/quote']If Litchfield don't have the time to support the forum community, why should we support them?

If Litchfield don't have the time to support the forum community' date=' why should we support them?[/quote']I would say it's more about getting the best setup, being the number one priority. Any reason why they don't get involved with forums or is it just us? I.e. do they go on Subaru forums?

If you want the best setup, which I totally agree should be the priority, I suggest it would be good for the forum to try and get one of the Japanese peformance magazines to do a 3 way back to back test of the current 3 options. As Fensport's road car is an auto, i would be quite happy for my car to be used as the turbo test platform :)

It would be fascinating to have some head to head dyno figures alongside some real world driving comparisons for these differing approaches. Not that I have any intention any time soon of getting either - besides, who needs a supercharge whine when you can have a HPFP chirp for free :)Just out of interest, is it theoretically possible to get both systems (turbo and super-c) installed and working at the same time in the same car? I only ask becuase there are production line combos out there already aren't there - the VAG 1.4 tsi for example?

To be honest when I eventually go FI, i'm 99% sure it will be a Fensport stage 1 or maybe 2 turbo. I'm open to having my mind changed but can't see it happening as I do love Daves stage3 car, and can't believe it's getting even more BHP this week.

It would be fascinating to have some head to head dyno figures alongside some real world driving comparisons for these differing approaches. Not that I have any intention any time soon of getting either - besides, who needs a supercharge whine when you can have a HPFP chirp for free :)Just out of interest, is it theoretically possible to get both systems (turbo and super-c) installed and working at the same time in the same car? I only ask becuase there are production line combos out there already aren't there - the VAG 1.4 tsi for example?

It's way too complicated, I'd advise anyone thinking about it to can that idea. It's just simply not worth the effort and the added complication. Better to pick one or the other. :+:

To be honest when I eventually go FI, i'm 99% sure it will be a Fensport stage 1 or maybe 2 turbo. I'm open to having my mind changed but can't see it happening as I do love Daves stage3 car, and can't believe it's getting even more BHP this week.

Dave's car isn't stage 3 yet, might well be by friday :)

Oops stage 2.8

You can have too much BHP though' date=' you will spoil it with too much power unless you increase the rubber IMHO.[/quote']And then you will completely spoil it by adding too much grip so the only fun you'll have is at warp speed!

Will be full Stage 3 by Friday :)

Don't understand the "lag" when you get back on the throttle TBH, we do remap the throttle map to soften the response due to the instant boost a twin screw SC makes but they isn't any lag , tbh I think it might be you being a little nervous with the throttle pedal with the response the Sprintex has.Good luck witht he Turbo thou you have some good fun with F/I.

And then you will completely spoil it by adding too much grip so the only fun you'll have is at warp speed!

That's what happened with me. All the extra grip's spoilt it somehow, with my new Continentals, and I'm now thinking of more power, but haven't seen anyone doing cams and revs...

Doesn't it have an air bypass valve, Mark when cruising? This could be what people are talking about, i.e. it's then switching to allow the pressure into the inlet and that slight delay may be that?

If you want the best setup' date=' which I totally agree should be the priority, I suggest it would be good for the forum to try and get one of the Japanese peformance magazines to do a 3 way back to back test of the current 3 options. As Fensport's road car is an auto, i would be quite happy for my car to be used as the turbo test platform :)[/quote']Would be far better to get them tested in a mag like EVO, I reckon. That's where Adrian could do with taking his, but agreed, needs to be a manual really. I've got nothing against the Japanese magazines like Jap Performance and Banzai, but I don't read them these days. I think a lot more of us and other potential buyers subscribe to EVO though. I just think you'd reach more of your target market that way.

Doesn't it have an air bypass valve' date=' Mark when cruising? This could be what people are talking about, i.e. it's then switching to allow the pressure into the inlet and that slight delay may be that?[/quote']You could be right lauren I only noticed the difference when coming off & going back on power, my use of the word lag might not be the right one for what ever caused this, the car does go very well.

We have backed to back a Turbo car and a Sprintex car on a Dynapack...not in the UK thou. results are interesting TBH.We do a lot of work on the throttle response on our cars we tame the cars a lot at lower throttle openings I feel you may of noticed this together with the by pass valve working;We make boost from 1200rpm so we have to tame the cars, no problem not to add this to the tune but it makes the car a hand full.