DelayedBRZ

Relocating to Lincolnshire, UK

Hello everyone! I am trying to get my affairs in order here in the US and should be moving to the Lincolnshire, UK sometime before the New Year. I have checked out a few shippers to move my BRZ and 1991 Miata to the UK as well. The best I've found is about $1000 +/- $200, each? How much should I plan to spend to legally put my BRZ and Miata on the road (MOT, Registration, Etc).

Hi, welcome to the club and best of luck with the move. Sadly, I have no idea about importing cars over from other countries but road tax for the BRZ/GT86(FR-S) is £220 for the year for us brits....no idea if it's the same for imported cars. MOT isn't required for brand new UK cars for up to 3 years....again no idea if this applies to none UK cars. Sorry I can't be of much help. Hopefully someone else on here has a better idea.

Hi, I did post on the FT86 forum, but my posts dissapeared for some reason.In terms of importing you will need an SVA test which is about £150. Also your lights will need to conform to UK requirements. Your headlights need to point left rather than right on dipped beam. I think the BRZ has a rear fog light (this is a requirement here). It does mean though you can lose those orange side repeaters. Also you will need a vehicle road fund licence (road tax) which is £225 per year. Plus insurance which you will need proof of to get the road tax. You don't need an MOT as your car is under three years old. You will also need to pay to get your car registered here so you can put UK registration plates on it. I can ask some friends of mine who have imported plenty of cars from Japan into the UK (very popular here).

In respect of your MX5/Miata. As this is over ten years old, it will just need an MOT to pass the test SVA test is more stringent than MOT. You'll have to fit a rear fog light (if it doesn't have one) and sort out the headlamps to point the right way on dipped beam. So it's a bit simpler and a little cheaper for this one. MOT is about £50 (they vary a bit). If you are coming to the UK to live ie moving from your home in the US to set up home here then there is no VAT to pay on your cars (Value added tax which is at 20%), so you'll be glad of that.

Welcome along, it seems Lauren and Keith covered everything but hopefully the move goes well and you can bring your vehicles with you. Look forward to you touching down on UK soil :)

Chopper602 and Lauren, you are both correct for now. I will be retired by the time I get to Lincolnshire as a civilian. My wife and I are very excited to actually go to another country as civilians. We are getting close to middle age, but still young enough to enjoy life( one reason for a military retirement).

Welcome DelayedBRZ.I think Lauren's covered most things for you but understand that you can't have your cars on the road (and that includes just parking them outside your house) until you have all the paperwork, tax, insurance etc. Hope your new dwelling place in Lincolnshire has a drive big enough for two cars.Cheers:32 (16):

Evening folks, finally I have made it to the UK. I arrived at Heathrow on 17 Dec and have been in Lincoln since the 20th. I had no idea there were so many GC8 coupes still on the road! Every night I go down to the hotel car park and it's like my own little car show. The weather has been beautiful and I hope to see more of the countryside if I can relearn driving. It's amazing how hard it is to fight muscle memory. My BRZ will hopefully be here in a month or two. I have an idea to over come the left seat handicap, but I'll fine tune it a bit before I can do it. I have not seen more than one or two GT86s/BRZs on my travels from Heathrow to Lincoln, but with luck they will be more visible come spring. So if you come across a goofy looking guy with a definitive American accent please be nice, I am actually dumber than I look. ;-)

Welcome, glad you made it. :)

We'll keep an eye out for you, though January and February are probably the quietest months, so you'll have a chance to get your car over and sorted. 

I don't think there are any big issues with a left hooker (as we call it), it's just more of a pain when you are trying to see if it's clear to overtake. Obviously us lot with RHD always have these issues the moment we set down in mainland Europe so we're used to driving on the other side of the road. Mind you, should you do some European jaunts, your BRZ will be perfect. :)

If you fancy Autosport 2014, which is the second week in January, I'm sure you could meet up with the others that are going. 

Well it's been awhile since my last update so here's a good one......There is now a Galaxy Blue Silica LHD BRZ new to the shores of the UK. I was sitting in the shipper/importer office dealing with the paperwork when he decided to call the warehouse and discovered that one of the ladies working there would rather take off in my Subie rather than stay at work, I told him that she could feel free to sit in it with seat heaters on :-) . Still waiting for the custom clearance and with luck I will be reunited with my baby.

Well, it's here and after 3 months apart the good ole girl still purrs like a kitten. The drive from Felixstowe to Lincoln was a relaxing blast. So, if you see a GBS BRZ somewhere between Lincolnshire and Suffolk with American plates there is a pretty good chance that would be me. I look forward to meeting any of you soon.