Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Air con cerns

I've learned something recently from RRG Macc which I am passing on...It is costing me nearly £600 to refill my aircon system. Reason being that it is a 'new' type of gas, Toyota have run out of supplies and the only company in the UK who have it are based in Kent/would have to travel to RRG Macclesfield to refill it.This new 'gas' - demanded by the EU for 'environmental' reasons' - is highly flammable. Technical advice is that the GT86 system cannot be filled with the 'old' type of gas due to insufficient 'lubricant' within the formula.Mercedes are appealing against the EU regulation which has imposed this requirement - presumably all new cars within the EU are subject to the same demand.Having waited nearly six weeks for one key component to come from Japan I am not a happy bunny over this latest hassle... it seems to me that Toyo UK should get their act together..Spec K

If you don't use it, the seals in the system tend to dry out as running the AC lubricates them which results in the refrigerant leaking, so it's essential to run your AC regularly even in the winter.

SK Bet you could source the parts from Japan quicker yourself. When is it back on the road?

My car was on the chassis jig just waiting for the new crossmember which arrived on Wednesday, so I'm told.The bodyshop are aiming to have everything finished within two weeks when the car will be shipped back to RRG's workshop for the final assembly, including the new intercooler, turbo pipe and uprated Koyo raidator which have arrived up there from Fensport. I don't think I'll be ready for TSS Snetterton... but I'm sure as hell gonna be ready for Spa...Spec K

And there was me thinking 0w20 oil was a bit on the steep side! Personally I'd be checking in with Subaru dealer for their take on things before spending that sort of money. Or failing that, opening the window more often...

The Air Con gubbin's just add weight anyway, might as well take it all off and have better airflow through your intercooler into the bargain as well!! (This post is not entirely serious... :-P )

Google searching the issue (always a dangerous past time), I came across the David Icke nutter view on why cars have air con (part of a conspiricy to drug us all of course!) - http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206674Meanwhile this page seems to explain things a bit more sensibly - http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/car-air-conditioning-safety.html If it is the case that our cars have been designed to use the non-134a based air-con gas then that would explain why it would not be advisable to go to the likes of Kwik Fit for a re-charge as if I have understood things correctly (my Grade 1 Physics CSE from 1982 only takes me so far) there are issues around different molecule sizes and leakage potential. I think. :bang:

Following on.... there is a serious issue here. Our cars are 'warranted' for five years yet, if you spring an aircon leak it's out of action because no TGB dealer has got the right gas...CD - it's not only melocule size. According to my info there is a lubricant added to the non-134a gas which is essential for compressor maintenance and which is not present in the 134a-based gases. You seize the compressor if you change...Spec K

From a dealers point of view it's one of frustration.The gas is as I understand being produced by DuPont and only them,hence the monopoly on supply.Be assured though if the air on springs a leak due to failure of pipes seals it will all be paid for by warranty. I also understand it won't need as Mutch recharge as the previous air con systems Although it's little consolation to customers in spec ks position.

Ian - good question. As Rich rightly says, mine is an exceptional situation - but could be experienced by a customer who inadvertently gets a stone through the aircon radiator. The system should be checked annually... no-one (to my knowledge) has quoted a TGB price for a re-gas, probably because no-one has needed one on a GT86 until now.. well, not in the UK, anyway..Lauren - I didn't know additives were available ! If someone can research out the correct formula there could be a salvation in the offing..Spec K

Well, they might be, they might not. Just saying that if there is a way to convert R12 to R134a (similar issues) then there might be an alternative for this issue. Obviously unless you need degassing it is not going to trouble most owners.