potato goose

Does anyone know this car?

Hello, I'm looking at getting my first Gt86, and have seen a possible candidate for sale. I was wondering if the previous owner might be on the forum or if anyone knows any history on the car?

I ask because the car clearly has a number of mods done, but the dealer says he has no paperwork history for the mods.

Here's a link to the ad:

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1628702690591233/?search_query=Gt86%20aero

Thanks very much!

chris: sure? Imho looks lowered. Hill start assist in featurelist .. i guess it's AT? Fender garnishes also are changed or painted or wrapped. Hard to get from LQ pics, what's with rear side quarter windows (tinted?).

I'm pretty certain it looks lowered, and has an aftermarket exhaust. But obviously I can't tell from the pictures if it's been remapped or anything, or if the lowering is just springs or full coilovers. I think it's a manual from the pics?

Definitely lowered

Custom exhaust  or exhaust tips. 

Smoked rear windows & side indicators

Wrap on top of spoiler, roof and front bumper and garnishes

Painted brake calipers in red

No hill assist as it does not come as an option or standard on the GT86

How can manual have hill start assist then. On MT "hill-start" is done by using handbrake like in driving learning courses :). If pics had been of higher quality, i'd be able to see in more close up pattern on shifter cap and/or absence or existence of gear switching paddles behind steering wheel.

just found the advert on my computer... 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1628702690591233/

...can now see it does look lowered, other than that, the window tint and the vinyl I can't really see anything else that would suggest anything major modification wise?
Possibly the exhaust? although I still recon it's standard myself.
Red calipers (unless non-standard) can be painted with a can of Halfords paint, and the red wheel nuts are a simple 'mod'

The interior is definitely completely OEM

OK, in bigger pics i don't see shifter paddles, (which probably should be there in top trim (from dual zone AC controls/leather & alcantara seats/digital speedo/push button start/foglights)) and pattern on shifter seems like MT one. In this non-mobile version of ad they also explicitly state that it's Manual Transmission. So more then probably hillstart is mislisted.

From extra mods noticed there seems something sticking out from front window side pillar .. some cellphone mount maybe or antenna for some electronic device? Pitty no even better center console pic, from buttons on it one could have see if it also has or hasn't heated seats.

Looks pretty stock with just a few cosmetics. It might be lowered, but that's about it. It's obviously a manual. It will have heated seats as it has Alcantara/leather seats. 

looks stock car that's been lowered/aftermarket exhaust & roof wrapped...Registered 2nd march 2015, failed its first MOT for nearside headlamp too low, 18,949 miles@ 2nd march 2018.

Lauren: lowering may mean different count of mods. From smallest possible, just lowering springs, to also coilovers, LCAs and cambolts or camplates to dial back increased from lowering camber for "flushness". (thus eg. impacting NVH and or ride comfort and get something different then expected (if searched/expected mostly stock car)). Of course, there might be pleasant surprise and there to be something better then stock aswell. It's hard to me judge extent of lowering from wheel gap in pic, if it's done by reasonable extent within inch, or dropped too low (and thus possibly worth rising a bit).

I'd probably wish some photos of stuff behind wheel spokes on possible suspension parts changed :). And pic with opened bonnet, if there isn't also something modded intake wise and such :). I guess, it's harder to find out if ecu is tuned or not, from generic dealership (if it's not private person/old owner, who sells his)

@Church maybe, but given the lack of effort elsewhere I reckon lowering springs at most, it might not even have those. I'll bet the engine is totally stock. It's easy to tell if Ecutek has been applied as you will have different selectable maps. This looks like a stock Aero with a few cheap cosmetic additions. 

Thanks very much for all the responses!

Regarding the wrapping on the car - I'm not a fan so would be looking to get that removed if I bought it. How does the paint on GT86's stand up to UV damage? Am I likely to pull off the roof wrap and find I have a colour mismatch? 

4 hours ago, Church said:

How can manual have hill start assist then. On MT "hill-start" is done by using handbrake like in driving learning courses :). If pics had been of higher quality, i'd be able to see in more close up pattern on shifter cap and/or absence or existence of gear switching paddles behind steering wheel.

You can have hill start on the manual. Mine has it, you have to activate it can’t remember the process now but it’s in the manual. 

I don’t use it as it leaves a green symbol on the dash all the time and sure mine still rolled  ack when I tried it out 

Daninplymouth: hmm, weird, first time hearing that MT may have such. Decided to google on it, and seems that MY2017 kouki may have it.

.. Hillstart assist is also off by default. To turn it on:
- Park car in a flat location
- stop the engine
- start the engine and check that the ABS warning light and slip indicator are off
- Press and hold the "Traction-off" button (leftmost button that looks like car with skidmark and the word "off" at the bottom) for 30 seconds. Both VSC and Traction Control off indicator should illuminate and then turn off.
- Within 5 seconds after the indicator lights turn off, release the "Traction-off" button, then press the switch again within 2 seconds of releasing it.
- The hill start assist ON indicator will illuminate and then turn off.
- Turn the engine off, then restart the engine
- If done correctly the hill start assist ON indicator should now be illuminated.
- This is good for those just learning to drive Manual Transmission however I would suggest learning to start on the hill with the hand-brake. You'll appreciate having this skill later at the stop light "race me" scenario ..

Thanks very much for all the responses!
Regarding the wrapping on the car - I'm not a fan so would be looking to get that removed if I bought it. How does the paint on GT86's stand up to UV damage? Am I likely to pull off the roof wrap and find I have a colour mismatch? 

FYI to the best of my knowledge the middle of the rear spoiler comes black from factory on all Aeros, not sure it’s able to be removed. The roof and other bits can all be taken off wouldn’t like to say how the paint would hold up ... the red Aero we have has a carbon wrap on the roof and have been advised if taken off might need a good polish but we haven’t done that yet sorry can’t help more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 22/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, James-GT86Aero said:

FYI to the best of my knowledge the middle of the rear spoiler comes black from factory on all Aeros, not sure it’s able to be removed. The roof and other bits can all be taken off wouldn’t like to say how the paint would hold up ... the red Aero we have has a carbon wrap on the roof and have been advised if taken off might need a good polish but we haven’t done that yet sorry can’t help more!

Hi James, yeah I was aware the middle section of the spoiler is not body-colour from the factory, although could you remind me whether the standard for that part is plain black or carbon effect? Thanks!

Hi James, yeah I was aware the middle section of the spoiler is not body-colour from the factory, although could you remind me whether the standard for that part is plain black or carbon effect? Thanks!

It’s plain black