OllyW

What to look for?

2nd August, that's ages away!! 

Also I assume it still has original primacy tyres, if so be careful of them in any condition. They are so unpredictable. 

Congratulations anyway. Hopefully see you at some car events. 

12 hours ago, Cerastes said:

2nd August, that's ages away!! 

Also I assume it still has original primacy tyres, if so be careful of them in any condition. They are so unpredictable. 

Congratulations anyway. Hopefully see you at some car events. 

They're Primacy's all round yeah - fronts have been replaced last year and have a nice amount of tread and the backs are originals I'm assuming (dated 2012 on a 2013 car), these need replacing soon :)

Madness...have some patience, learn to drive and get a nice car when you are a bit older. More experience plus cheaper. 
I'm sure we all would have loved a car like this when we were 18, he is just living the dream. I agree though that 2K per year for insurance does border on ridiculous, but the younger generation do love their instant gratification! Having said that, when I was 18 I had a Ford Capri so I suppose I'd also be looking for something sporty as an 18 year old in 2018. But I would not have had anything like 2k per year for insurance and my Capri cost me about the same as one year of 3rd party, fire & theft.

For a 17, 18 year old to get an insurance premium below £2000 on anything is quite an achievement. Ridiculous as it is it is the norm and not by choice. So to get a quote on such a car for that age is very good.

My first premium was £1250 On a car with the same value (1200cc 45bhp Corsa) that was over 11 years ago. I don't envy those first looking to drive nowadays it's certainly more expensive.

Congratulations, great choice there, a 13 plate in red.......

2nd august is going to take a long time to come around.

My advice on the insurance front would be to only do mods when you take out a new policy as you will get a much better deal shopping for the mods (you are about to do).

I have a new spoiler and lowering springs already in the cupboard waiting for renewal time!

6 hours ago, OllyW said:

They're Primacy's all round yeah - fronts have been replaced last year and have a nice amount of tread and the backs are originals I'm assuming (dated 2012 on a 2013 car), these need replacing soon :)

If the tyres date from 2012, then they will be absolutely useless. Tyres go off after a couple of years. I'd change them or get them changed before you pick them up. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

If the tyres date from 2012, then they will be absolutely useless. Tyres go off after a couple of years. I'd change them or get them changed before you pick them up. 

Already plans to replace :) What would you suggest putting on, was thinking Michelin Pilot Sport 4's but I'm not sure.

Just now, OllyW said:

Already plans to replace :) What would you suggest putting on, was thinking Michelin Pilot Sport 4's but I'm not sure.

That's a good bet it's what everyone raves about, I'm sure they'll be good. I run Advan V105's which I really like. The PS4's are likely to have more grip, but it depends what you want really. 

7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

That's a good bet it's what everyone raves about, I'm sure they'll be good. I run Advan V105's which I really like. The PS4's are likely to have more grip, but it depends what you want really. 

Think I'll stick with PS4's for this replacement so I can keep it safer :)

PS4 WILL have more grip. Immensely more if wet. But .. funnily imho stock grip-less primacies are a bit more "fun". All those slight tire chirps when start going, or at some sharper turns even while at legal speeds .. i enjoyed those. Now, for better track performance i'm on PS4 (thought about AD08R too) .. but if it had been daily driven only, i'd probably would like something less grippy :)

2 hours ago, Church said:

PS4 WILL have more grip. Immensely more if wet. But .. funnily imho stock grip-less primacies are a bit more "fun". All those slight tire chirps when start going, or at some sharper turns even while at legal speeds .. i enjoyed those. Now, for better track performance i'm on PS4 (thought about AD08R too) .. but if it had been daily driven only, i'd probably would like something less grippy :)

Bonus thing will be having Primacies on the front still, so if I ever want to have a bit more fun I can always swap fronts for backs :)

I'd prefer having same tires (including wear) all around to not change balance. Luckily our cars have non-staggered wheel/tire setup stock, so tires can be rotated to get more out of them/to even out wear/to simplify replacement.

8 hours ago, OllyW said:

Bonus thing will be having Primacies on the front still, so if I ever want to have a bit more fun I can always swap fronts for backs :)

You will get understeer if you leave the Primacy tyres on the front. Obviously if you put them one the back you will get a lot of oversteer. Not recommended. Run the same tyres all round. The car won't handle properly with this mix of tyres. 

Not a bad shout with the tyres - I'll plan to replace them to be the same all round but it'll have to do with mixed for a month or so at first so I can save a little more. I won't be hooning it around country roads anytime soon so shouldn't be too bad :)

Also saving to remove the little red trim interior pieces (Steering wheel, gearstick, handbrake, and need to find a way to get rid of the red doorhandles, not sure if this will need a new doorcard?)

If you go for Yoko Advan V105's a full set will be around £100 cheaper than PS4's. Advans are easily good enough, I've been through or five sets now and probably won't bother with PS4's as I like the balance as it is.

On 13/07/2018 at 1:01 PM, Lauren said:

If you go for Yoko Advan V105's a full set will be around £100 cheaper than PS4's. Advans are easily good enough, I've been through or five sets now and probably won't bother with PS4's as I like the balance as it is.

Think I'll wing it and get 2x PS4's first and 2 more when I can - What do you think of the V105's wear wise? I've heard they're quite soft so wear a bit quicker than the PS4s

On 14/07/2018 at 1:10 PM, OllyW said:

Think I'll wing it and get 2x PS4's first and 2 more when I can - What do you think of the V105's wear wise? I've heard they're quite soft so wear a bit quicker than the PS4s

I find I get 7K miles out my rear V105's and 20K out of my fronts. I'm not sure that the PS4's will last longer, thought it was the other way round, but I may well be wrong as I haven't seen figures for PS4's.