tommackey72

Toyota gt86 digital speedometer

Hello all.. great to find people who love the same car as I do.. quick question.. as mine is a 2012 gt86 (I'm assuming lower spec) I've read it doesn't come with a digital speedometer even when there's a box on the dashboard where it should be.. however is there something I can get to plug in so I can get it working? a7ca6aba32447df14e53c904294fa044.jpg6efc138afa4fccfed36efc3c0e406896.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, tommackey72 said:

Hello all.. great to find people who love the same car as I do.. quick question.. as mine is a 2012 gt86 (I'm assuming lower spec) I've read it doesn't come with a digital speedometer even when there's a box on the dashboard where it should be.. however is there something I can get to plug in so I can get it working? a7ca6aba32447df14e53c904294fa044.jpg6efc138afa4fccfed36efc3c0e406896.jpg

The lower spec didn't come out u til later so you should have the digital speedo.

As far as I'm aware, every GT86 has it. 

Is anything coming up on that little display? Gears or anything? 

As you can see there is no light.. so I'm guessing it should work.. but I'm sure I've read somewhere the lower spec ones doesn't have it .. so you can see why I'm so confused about it lol f2b344a6adb6d0e87371691fda5e0672.jpg

If you don't have one it simply won't be there so there is nothing you can do about it. Just use the analogue speedo. I had a hire car in Japan and that didn't have one either. You just get used to using the analogue speedo I found. 

That is weird. The Jap import I had had a poverty spec dash with the poverty spec rev counter and not a blank display like you have. 

Jeff, you can see for the water and fuel that it has the poverty spec dash bit which has shorter needles. I think we'd need to confirm whether the Primo has the higher spec rev counter like it is here. I thought the UK Primo had a digital speedo?

It looks like it simply isn't working. 

Do you have keyless entry and push button for engine start/stop or do you have to twist a key? 

I know that some Australian models didn't have a digital speedo, but considering yours is 2012 it should have it as it's not a Primo like steeps said

3 minutes ago, tommackey72 said:

As you can see there is no light.. so I'm guessing it should work.. but I'm sure I've read somewhere the lower spec ones doesn't have it .. so you can see why I'm so confused about it lol f2b344a6adb6d0e87371691fda5e0672.jpg

I'd say there is something wrong with it as Primo models that come without the digital speedo looked like this. 

toyotagt86_phfleet_007-L.jpg

I know that some Australian models didn't have a digital speedo, but considering yours is 2012 it should have it as it's not a Primo like steeps said

3 minutes ago, tommackey72 said: As you can see there is no light.. so I'm guessing it should work.. but I'm sure I've read somewhere the lower spec ones doesn't have it .. so you can see why I'm so confused about it lol f2b344a6adb6d0e87371691fda5e0672.jpg

I'd say there is something wrong with it as Primo models that come without the digital speedo looked like this. 

toyotagt86_phfleet_007-L.jpg.53d95c1df2fc0d829271c03a6b191e2e.jpg

Oh I see... So your saying mine should have it?

2 minutes ago, Steeps said:

It wasn't accident repair, it's an import. Production shows as MFR May 2012 but not registered in the UK until May 2015. It's not a UK spec car. ODO in KM backs this up.

Imported from Japan presumably? Actually it can't be it's got MPH on the speedo. Where was it from?

Just now, tommackey72 said:

Oh I see... So your saying mine should have it?

I would say so, but if your car is imported, then who knows.. someone must've swapped the cluster somewhere along the line

My best guess would be it's an imported primo spec and the dash was replaced with one from the UK when registering it for UK plates so it could read in MPH, but the odo still shows in KM. Dealer/owner probably couldn't get the primo dash so fitted the more common regular one.

2 minutes ago, Steeps said:

My best guess would be it's an imported primo spec and the dash was replaced with one from the UK when registering it for UK plates so it could read in MPH, but the odo still shows in KM. Dealer/owner probably couldn't get the primo dash so fitted the more common regular one.

It must be imported from somewhere, Asia/Australia as its RHD, but his plate says 61, so that's got to be JDM spec? I'm 98% sure the earliest 86s in UK are just '12 plates as the sales began in June. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't have one it simply won't be there so there is nothing you can do about it. Just use the analogue speedo. I had a hire car in Japan and that didn't have one either. You just get used to using the analogue speedo I found. 

That is weird. The Jap import I had had a poverty spec dash with the poverty spec rev counter and not a blank display like you have. 

Jeff, you can see for the water and fuel that it has the poverty spec dash bit which has shorter needles. I think we'd need to confirm whether the Primo has the higher spec rev counter like it is here. I thought the UK Primo had a digital speedo?

It looks like it simply isn't working. 

Do you have keyless entry and push button for engine start/stop or do you have to twist a key? 

I have a twist key... It's been imported from Australia back in 2015.. it's still in km but I can still read mph on the normal Speedo.. I had a guy put his computer in and it reads a error on the front two wheels says it's not reading the speed of the car and the sensors aren't working.. so could it possibly be that simple just to fix that?

2 minutes ago, Steeps said: It wasn't accident repair, it's an import. Production shows as MFR May 2012 but not registered in the UK until May 2015. It's not a UK spec car. ODO in KM backs this up.

Imported from Japan presumably? Actually it can't be it's got MPH on the speedo. Where was it from?

From Australia

Headlights also don't look LED RRLs so I guess it's the JDM G model, which is what the UK called the Primo. The G has always been available in Japan

So can I get that box to work? Where the digital speedometer should read.

Assuming the dash is fitted correctly, the digital speedo would collect its information via canbus (or whatever Subaru use). As such it's pretty tricky to sort it out if it's not collecting speed data already.

If it's not reading wheel speeds on all four corners properly it's going to have a really hard time using the VSC properly, same maybe for ABS. Get that fixed and worry about the speedo later. I'm a bit surprised the dash isn't all christmassy with that kind of problem.

@tommackey72 we already established, that your car is;

• basic model from Australia
  • has either changed cluster (because basic specs in OZ didn't have a digital speedo, not even the box you have, therefore it should be like the pic i posted earlier) OR has the original cluster with broken display in the speedo section..
  • has an error on speed sensor of your front wheels

So, i think you should take it to Toyota Garage, or contact Toyota Australia, send them your VIN number and ask whether the cluster is original or not, and you should go from there. Could be faulty display, or a cluster than shouldn't really be in your car. 

The vehicle speed is taken from the rear wheels, that would make sense as they're the driven wheels. If the front sensors weren't working you'd get a VSC/ABS error. He's also noted that the analogue speedo is working that means the cluster is receiving a canbus signal for speed. Now I know that the AUDM models run a similar software setup to EDM/UKDM so I'm not sure why the digital speedo would not work. However without having another to compare/try it will be hard to determine much more than that.

These may be of help:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2341952 

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2701279

@tommackey72 we already established, that your car is;

• basic model from Australia
  • has either changed cluster (because basic specs in OZ didn't have a digital speedo, not even the box you have, therefore it should be like the pic i posted earlier) OR has the original cluster with broken display in the speedo section..
  • has an error on speed sensor of your front wheels
So, i think you should take it to Toyota Garage, or contact Toyota Australia, send them your VIN number and ask whether the cluster is original or not, and you should go from there. Could be faulty display, or a cluster than shouldn't really be in your car. 

So I took it last week to the Toyota garage here in the UK cos I had my garage say to fix the problem you need a new cluster... My garage ordered one and I took it to Toyota.. they couldn't fix it cos on the cluster it had a tire pressure sensor.. which once fitted would go off and you have no way of turning it off.. plus once they fitted it they couldn't start the car... The Toyota guy said it's the wrong one and your garage needs to order the proper one. He also said that there are over 20 clusters on the list to order them but we have no idea which one would be for your car... So they said my garage needs to find out which one is the right one.. And left me with a dashboard cluster thing in me car... yesterday I found out the guy who was helping me in the garage .. quit.. and so this other guy googled my problem and said your car is a gt 2012 and does not come with a digital speedometer.. so atm I'm still confused with what's true and what's not.. but your right I'll email Australia Toyota and ask them about it lol PS sorry I went on a bit lol

Try ordering the cluster from a UK spec primo model as this was the same as the lower spec models over seas (other than mph printed on clocks rather than km) will not get you a digital speedometer but should leave you with everything working as should be. (Very few primo models sold so very little chance of finding a used one).