nerdstrike

Focal IS165TOY installation and review

The 'IS' parts have separate tweeters (what you want) the 'IC' parts have the tweeter as part of the mid (what you probably don't want).

The 690 bit means it is an old school 6" x 9" oval speaker (what you don't want).

To save you putting this into a matrix, you want the IS165TOY speakers as they are the ones which will fit without any modification, the 165 bit meaning 165mm diameter.

Very helpful and seems reasonably priced.

Can anyone recommend a shop near South West London or Surrey to install and add some sound proofing and rough cost?

Now that I don't have engine sound pumped into the cabin OEM quality (or lack of) is noticeable even for my tone deaf ears...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Decided and ordered IS165TOY...

I am not an audiophile by any means and usually just make the music loud enough, but listening to the same music back to back after Lexus made me think that even a basic upgrade of door speakers would be a worthwhile mod.

I might be wrong, but my impression was that dash speakers did not sound that bad, but door speakers did not have bass at all and unlike in Lexus barely add to the depths of sound.

The back seat speakers also barely noticeable, but I decided not to bother hoping changing door speakers and a bit of extra sound insulation can make enough difference to keep me content.

Will see next weekend...

On 1/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, VAD17 said:

Decided and ordered IS165TOY...

I am not an audiophile by any means and usually just make the music loud enough, but listening to the same music back to back after Lexus made me think that even a basic upgrade of door speakers would be a worthwhile mod.

I might be wrong, but my impression was that dash speakers did not sound that bad, but door speakers did not have bass at all and unlike in Lexus barely add to the depths of sound.

The back seat speakers also barely noticeable, but I decided not to bother hoping changing door speakers and a bit of extra sound insulation can make enough difference to keep me content.

Will see next weekend...

sorry to jump on this thread again but did you get the speakers fitted? hows the results? 

sorry to jump on this thread again but did you get the speakers fitted? hows the results? 
Yes, see other thread.
Noticeable difference, but should have probably put silent coat on entire doors. Still better than it was, particularly at low volume.

I've just added an old alpine V12 amp to the focals, plus a Hertz compact subwoofer. They sound great but I've had to reduce the frequencies the tweeters handle by a huge amount to have them integrate with the mid-bass and sub-bass.

Has everyone else found the same thing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Is that just the crossover setting on the amp you've picked up? Maybe somebody tuned it for other purposes?
No crossover on the amp only HP/LP filters but thanks for the thought

Crossover is essentially  the High Pass/ Low Pass Filter. 

Sorry I meant that the focals have built in crossovers that separate frequencies between the tweeters and the mid-bass units.

I've high passed the focals at 100hz and low passed the subwoofer at about 90hz.

I will double check to make sure this is indeed the case, and I haven't toggled some odd setting on the amp though!

matt you should really do it the other way round so they fade.
The sub to 100 Hz and the Focal-s at 90 Hz. 
Thanks I'll give that a go! Appreciate the tips

Nerdstrike...Thanks for your extensive review of the Focal speakers. You said that the tweeters were a simple plug and play fitting but I have seen some places saying that you require a sort of crossover pass through box which I don't really understand. Have you any comments on this?