Sign in to follow this  
tegunulgener

Rear wheels... & 2nd gear... and some service issues

Hi all,It's been a very long time however I am very busy at work and I can not connect from work either because of that I am connecting from home unless if I am not tired. I am terribly sorry about that and missed you all guys.I don't know if this subject came up before but I want to ask/talk about some stuff...First,The GT86 is over 8000 miles now since last December and I started to feel the rear and of the car is likely to sliding more than before. The tyres (stock) are still legal even though over 4 mm. I wonder if any one else has the similar issues. Do you suggest front wheels move back to rear as I believe they have better treads on them (didn't check but I can tell by my fingers) What makes me scare of is winter is near.Second,By the end of summer days, I realised in the morning my 2nd gear issues are back. In the mornings, the temperature (according to car's thermometer) it is around 12 degrees Celsius and until the engine (related to gear box) heats up it is not as smooth and easy to change the gear to 2nd. Also today in traffic I have realised that the all the gears were a bit crunchy. Any suggestions?Service issues...Right, car been to the service/check due to some problems which are;-Rattle around the stereo (since last month)-Knocking noise from back of the car on a rough/bumpy road (since last two months)-According to my wife, passenger seat is not very supportive and hurts her back (since last two months)-Down the hill car was decelerating (not on gear, not on cruise control, speed was 19 mph and decreasing)-Auto lights was too sensitive and supposed to be set to darker environment setting-Car wash (as usual servicing)Results;-Rattle around stereo been fixed and have no issues-Knocking noise is still there but service didn't find a problem-Passenger seat tested with 3 different passengers and they didn't find any problems with the seat. I can not tell you exactly what is wrong but my wife still says it hurts her back and not the same as before-Service checked electronically and they didn't find any ABS/break problems-Auto light settings definitely changed however it is even more sensitive now-Car wash... They just sprayed water I guess. Wasn't so clean and even tyres weren't shiny. According to my wife they done a "crap" job.Right people... Come on... Give me some response. What should I do? I believe your answers will help everyone who has problems with the servicing...Respect y'all :)Tegun

I think 4mm should still be enough to be good enough in the wet. They should be better in the dry than fully treaded tyres really. You could swop round the tyres as the fronts wear quite a lot less it seems. For winter, seriously consider a set of winter tyres, it makes a big difference.

Hi TegunulgenerMost of it is common sense but on a few points:Sliding rear - the car has been designed to be easy to slide, of-course when you have less tread this will become easier.Passenger seat - Is your wife insured on the car, if so get her to drive with you in the passenger seat if you find it uncomfortable then there maybe an issue.Auto lights - whats wrong with turning the knob from off to on?Car Wash - I wouldn't want the dealer washing my car - think of the dirty water..... "shudders".Will

Thank you for the reply will300,Well, my concern about sliding rear is more like to be prepared for the winter as I can not afford tyres atm. However, I am still enjoying the slides in wet or dry roads. (I know I shouldn't)My wife is not insured as she has no valid driving licence yet so this is not an option for now. Even though I can not judge because I never been to passenger seat before so I have to rely on her word.You are right and this is what I am doing at the moment but if there is a feature like "auto" why shouldn't I use it and if I tell to service to adjust it to darker setting and if they can not do it then what is the point of setting it up?Car wash... It's been washed before couple of times by the same service and they done a good job. This time it was like we really don't care... I don't believe it was a dirty water as I am using the same water (standard city water lines lol) but at least they could do it better like before they did...Still you are right on your response however I am very busy to do things myself atm and have no energy nor have I feeling healthy enough even tho wash the car... My kidneys are killing me last few months... So I asked nicely to service for to do some work forme and their job wasn't satisfying this time... Should I go and complain?PS: call me Teg please... Easier. :)

Bit of an odd one about the car decellerating downhill. It will do depending upon the decline of the road and what gear you are in. All cars with gears do this, it's simply engine braking which is why when going down a hill it gives you better control if you select a lower gear. I don't really understand the passenger seat issue. Maybe your wife prefers to drive? :tongue:With the auto lights, I sometimes just flick the lights on dipped beam manually when they don't switch on automatically. For example I'd do this if it's raining on the motorway in the daytime where I want other drivers to see me.

that's why i said especially it was in neutral... I was surprised as well. I dont know how many times had that but realised only once and I know that it is downhill. some roads gives the feeling downhill even though they are uphill but this one was definitely slight downhill in neautral. I use compression a lot ( i mean i lot) even though more than breaks... that time it was in neautral otherwise i wouldn't write it on here... still thank you for the reply Lauren... I really want to try the experience of AE86 :)

Well if your car is decelarating downhill in neutral then it does sound like there is something dragging, perhaps the brakes? You'll find the AE86 a bit archaic in comparison. It's fun, but in a more crude way.

Hi Tengunulgener,First:The weather was terrible today, very wet and very cold and I too have found my car a lot more skiddish, I came off some roundabouts and the back end just felt weak and wobbly and the traction light didn't even come up but I think this is all normal, you've got less tread, you've been used to hot weather with sticky tyres and now all of sudden its cold and wet, it can surprise you a lil. You may have been fine last winter as you had full treads (still didn't help some people) but it'll be even worse now that you've got so little tread left, the same happened to me with my last car, brought it new just before winter, snow came and I was perfectly fine with the continentals but the year after I could barely get off my drive as I had worn tyres with less tread compared to before. I will definitely be getting some winter tyres on this year!Second:2nd gear issue, again, not a lot you can do if the dealer isn't willing to do anything. The same people who've had it even worse still haven't got any solid solutions yet I don't think. Some say change gear box oil, some say adjust the clutch cable or something but not definite solution yet.Service issues:Knocking - the knocking at the back could be the gap between 2 metal panels in the boot or somewhere, some dealers have filled this gap with silicon something but can't remember the details exactly (there's a thread about it on the other forum somewhere).Passenger Seat - good suggestion from Will regarding getting you to sit in the passenger seat and her driving it, she can see if the seats in general are hurting her and if the passenger seat hurts you or at least feels different at all (have you modded the car with alloys or suspension at all?).Brakes - Someone (or even a couple of guys) have reported that their brakes had been a bit sticky and remained in contact even when they were completely off the brake, again this was mentioned on the other forum somewhere. No idea if it has returned for them or not.Auto Lights - simply take it back and get them to readjust it as they must have adjusted it the wrong way.Car Wash - well it's free what can you expect? When you take your car back in next to sort the rest of the other stuff out, remind them of this and get it washed again......but like Will said....do you really want to get them to wash it? I know I don't really wash or pamper my car but don't really trust a dealer to wash my car any more.Hope this helps dude! Keep us updated!

A possible suggestion with the passenger seat issue - depending on where you live, is there not another GT 86 owner who could take your wife for a drive, to see if there is a difference? For that matter, does your dealer not have a demo '86 you could try?

Guest Guest

I can't believe no-one has thought about tyres pressures for the grip issue? Easy 1st port of call, especially with temperature changes.I'd be surprised if there is an issue with the seat. Is there not any external factors? Seeing as there's only 2 ways of adjustment with no adjustable lumbar support, then there's not much that can change. Ensuring the angle is set correctly is essential.