Sign in to follow this  
Lauren

The Italian Job 2-10th September via the Alps

Okay, just finished bookings for my second Euro trip of the year. The plan is we are taking our dog, Indy to see her favourite uncle who now lives in Lake Garda, Italy. We are driving to mum's in London, then taking the Chunnel on the 2nd September. From there we'll speed through France and arrive at Basel in Switzerland. Killerbee (on the FT86 forum) has kindly made me a route to take in three passes the following day. Hopefully we'll manage to meet up with him on the way. Sustenpass:Posted ImageThen the Grimselpass:Posted ImageFurkapass:Posted ImageThen we stop over in Lenzerheide and the following morning we go through St Moritz (lunch stop if we can afford it perhaps?) and onto the Stelvio:Posted ImageWe will staying in Lake Garda for five nights, before returning over the Alps via the Stelvio but then taking the tunnels instead of the passes before stopping over in Colmar in France which looks pretty:Posted ImageWhat I wanted to say, is if anyone is along route and wants to meet up, let me know. I must say, having never driven the Alps before I'm rather excited at the proposition. :)

Lauren you devil you, those roads look EPIC!!! So Jealous! Would love to tackle them roads.....touch wood, lets hope that these roads will be clear for you as I've been told that a lot of these beautiful roads are never this empty and are often choka blocked with buses, cyclists, caravans etc.FYI your last pic isn't showing properly, just just "Image by: Brodyaga.com" in a white box.

Well hopefully there won't be too many caravans or cyclists in the way. I daresay I'm bound to encounter this in places, but will take the opportunity to enjoy myself when the road is clear. :) I must say I really am so excited about this trip. I've been to Switzerland a couple of times in my life but I've never driven the roads. Just got to be done! :)

What an awesome trip! We have done the Sustenpass and Stelvio in our Subaru as part of a Ring trip extended tour some years back. We found early mornings (before breakfast) were best to get a clear run. Once you are behind a camper you just have to sit back and enjoy the experience, which is fun in itself!! Very jealous!!

Okay, the time has come, we set off for a friend's in London tomorrow. Two nights in London as my mum lives an hour from the Chunnel off the M20 which makes it a perfect stopping over point, then early morning Chunnel on Monday morning and so it begins. Am so excited. Tuesday morning will mean an early rise in Basel where we drive to meet Chris who's a Swiss GT86 owner. He's kindly taken a day off to show us four Alpine passes. Yes, I'm looking forward to it! :) I will try my best to upload some pics and a little about how it's going. I'll compile a full write up upon my return.

Cheers, Richard. We will nearly be passing each other. We pass back through that way on the 9th, funnily enough, staying in Colmar on the way back. Did I mention that Alex (Speedy) will also be joining us in Lake Garda. :)

Envy Lauren , envy Just back from northern Italy where there were some great mountain roads; sadly I only had my rental car, but found myself thinking how good it would be to drive them in the brz ( and then I got thinking about the bookatrack Italy trip, which sadly will have to remain a pipe dream for me, at least) Perhaps we can start a driving route sticky for 'must drive' destination roads.

Hmmm.... I'm up for a trip... but it needs another focus - something that will engage the interest and enthusiasm of petrolhead nutters but not necessarily whizzing around a track every day...Okay, a little idea that comes from 'memory lane' ... how's about a 5-day round trip to include Austria? Nothing really special ..... except a trip down the Igls Olympic Bobsleigh run at proper speeds... doesn't need snow..(I'll bring spare diapers for you...it's a 5-man bob with three 'guests' on board and it times at less than 1 second outside the Olympic record... hits 4G in the bends, forces your eyeballs out ... not for pussies..)Spec K

Am I going there? I've no idea tbh. If I happen upon it of course. :) Just arrived in Basel. Only took 13 hours from London. It would have been a little quicker if I had t spent a nice hour going to a cash point with the gendarmerie. But never mind, 90 euro light as a result we did pretty well, just so tired. Food then bed and an early start tomorrow to meet Chris to drive some passes. :)

I was 30 km/h over the limit. So yeah not too worried by that. Spending 20 minutes each way in the back of a police car to find the most remote cashpoint known to humankind was a pain, but, never mind all part of the experience! I had behaved myself pretty well up till that point, typical eh?