Adi

Front wishbones (tracking control arms)

Anyone has a set of OEM or otherwise, new or used front lower arm? Or at least the RH (driver side) one ?

I may have the ball-joint or bushes going on mine, most likely the RH one.

Cheers.

Adi, it's just called a 'front lower arm'. It's not a wishbone as it's a Macpherson Strut setup on the front.  Can you not buy a new balljoint? Even at my mileage, I've yet to have a balljoint replaced. 

Hi Lauren, I think it may the bushes or the ball joint. There is some vibration in the wheel but also in the chasis and pedals, usually accompanied by a springy clunk / pop sound when moving at very low speed. Less strong at high speed. It is stronger when moving on, accelerating or breaking. I took it to a local shop, they looked at everything, even changed the wheel bearings, but found nothing while on  the ramp. It also seems to be less noticeable when car is cold, and it needs the front wheels to be loaded and have some  weight shifting movement.

They think may be may be something to do with the front lower arm.

Adi. You would be able to find play if there is any in the balljoint. Same with bushes, so if there isn't any, it's not likely to be that. Mine clunks/pops too, often when I move backwards. I've not had any vibration though. Unless your mileage is really high the bushes are not likely to be worn. Not sure what it is, but more likely to be something else, like ARB or track rod. Unless they can isolate what it is, I'm not sure it's worth keep changing parts. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Adi. You would be able to find play if there is any in the balljoint. Same with bushes, so if there isn't any, it's not likely to be that. Mine clunks/pops too, often when I move backwards. I've not had any vibration though. Unless your mileage is really high the bushes are not likely to be worn. Not sure what it is, but more likely to be something else, like ARB or track rod. Unless they can isolate what it is, I'm not sure it's worth keep changing parts. 

Lauren, you are correct. Thank you. Not sure these guys can isolate it, and most other places are closed. There is no play anywhere when the car is on the ramp. Wheel has to be loaded and weight shifting. Heard similar story from someone with an Audi, went to many garages and dealerships until one mechanic decided to replace the ball joint and fixed it. So I either find a damn good mechanic - which is not easy now, at least  within N. London area, or I try replacing parts and hope one of them is the culprit  :(

How would you test for the drop links / ARB ?

Just talked to the garage again, they tested the ball joints and everything and said they can't see any issue. They believe car is perfectly safe to drive.

One more thing they can do without replacing any part is to  drop and refit the suspension, hopefully this will cure it.

22 hours ago, Adi said:

How would you test for the drop links / ARB ?

To be fair it's unlikely to be the ARB. For drop links, turn the steering from lock to lock as it moves the drop link up and down a fair bit. I had a problem with a horrible noise which turned out to be a dry joint on a drop link. It took a while to work it out. It's also hard to see but I had a boot that covered my drop link that had slightly come away allowing water into the ball joint which made it rust.