Sign in to follow this  
james_ly

Beep when locking

Occasionally, when I lock the car (finger on the door sensor thing), it will beep at me, so I'll unlock and relock and it's fine. As far as I can tell I do the same every time, so what's happening?

The beeps can mean several things:

If you open the door before the engine is off, it beeps at you to tell you the ignition is on. Mainly useful when you've had radio on without starting the engine, and then get out.

If you lock the door, but one of the sensors tells it a door, boot or bonnet is not latched, it beeps to tell you it's not fully secure. Commonly it's the boot, which can sit closed without latching.

If you try to lock the door with the key inside, it should refuse to lock and beep.

There is a different beep which sounds (I think) when the fob battery is very low on engine off, but I might be imagining that now. There is a light on the dashboard to go with it.

Check your boot and bonnet are latching well. It could also be some iffy wiring on the sensors. Also check where your spare key is. Lastly, try locking at arm's length in case it is detecting your key and believing it is inside and not outside.

I miss having just a key+fob. All these measures stem from having a key you don't manipulate.

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

Lastly, try locking at arm's length in case it is detecting your key and believing it is inside and not outside.

Ah, I think that's it, I normally leave the key in my pocket which might be too close sometimes 👍