Sign in to follow this  
kacpr

LHD to RHD mirror conversion

My driver side mirror's power folding mechanism has failed. So having contacts in East Europe I have decided to save a few quid and ordered a replacement there (used one obv.). Only, I didn't consider the different setting each mirror has, when it sits on driver's or passenger's side and how they obviously switch around between UK and EU. The angle is slightly different, different enough that my new off-side mirror is now useless.

No worries, I read on the internet that in many cases these mirrors are the same and are just set when assembled, using some plastic tool. At least that's what I've found out from Internet, on some Land Rover's forum :unsure:.

Does this thing exist for the '86? I'm only worried how this setting and re-setting can affect the folding mechanism, as I wouldn't want to buy another mirror!

I don't know anything about the settings being different between LHD/RHD markets, but have you checked that the mirror glass is firmly seated before trying anything else?

It might sound silly, but when I swapped mirror glass, I had to give it a good firm push to make it clip onto the mechanism. Could it be possible that it's not clipped in securely on one side and now the angle is on the piss? Probably not, but it's worth a check in case it's an easy fix!

If worse comes to worse, give me a shout because I have a drivers side mirror unit that I'm trying to sell. You're just need to swap over the painted plastic part from your original mirror. I bought it of an ebay breaker when someone smashed my winger mirror, I just needed the painted plastic part. 

Difference is the mirror from LHD market, is on the passenger side. When I imported it to a RHD car it should be switched to driver's setting. I guess the best way to explain it is -try sitting in your passenger seat and looking through passenger side mirror, you can adjust it as far as you can, but it still won't show enough. It makes a massive blind spot.

I don't know for sure but would have thought the housing angle itself would have to be slightly different since they would be designed to be viewed when seated on the opposite side of the car. 

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

If you still have the defective item, why don't you dismantle that one to look?

Good shout. You might even be able to swap just the parts you need to end up with a fully working mirror. 

It's just that they are so fiddly, the plastic comes apart in your hands. I had to use a lot of super glue just to put the new one on. But I'll see inside the broken one.

By the way, here's the link with pictures of that tool for switching mirror position from another forum - http://forums.mg-rover.org/how-do-i-answers-common-problems-8/door-mirror-conversion-rhd-lhd-vice-versa-816465/