Mike

TSS - Anglesey - 19th August

10 hours ago, Lauren said:

I think my speed on turn in was similar to yours. Exit speed was around 145kmh IIRC. I know I was pulling 186kmh before braking before Rocket. I think the tyres are making a difference here. Tomas and I agree that the PS4 are a better tyre. That is not to detract from your wins of course, but he has noticed differences at other circuits and feels that the PS4 have the advantage here. I was lifting before turning in to Church, then getting hard on the throttle, which is what I would say was causing the understeer. It was very hard to get that turn in spot on as its later than you think. I know when I got it right as I could run the kerbing on the inside, but too much speed, would mean I would go a little wide of the apex. As you know the car tends to get into a four wheel slide (inertia drift for Initial D fans) and it's hoping that the timing is right to keep the wheel relatively straight and keep the throttle mashed to the floor all the way through the exit. At times I had oversteer on the exit. It's a tricky corner to get right for sure!

Seamans, same problem, just me trying to carry too much speed, which did mean it got a bit wild on the exit at times with a whole load of oversteer on the exit. Not what you want really. 

Seems our exit speeds were similar, as was the speed into Rocket - I was being marginally more cautious after my '3rd instead of 5th' whoopsy...  I was seriously debating getting some V105's just to see the differences, but it's a lot of money for an experiment, which I guess is exactly how you viewed the PS4's when you know the V105's so well?

Church corner was a bit of a bugger as the track wasn't properly dry there - at least it didn't feel like it to me.  I did a few experiments, the last of which clearly failed :P I mostly had 4 wheel slide coming through there from just before the apex to just before the kerbing where it stopped (for me anyway).

I never got any oversteer through Seamans, no matter what I tried, but that was probably my most cautious corner on the track as it looked like it would go horribly wrong if I messed it up :P

Thank you so much for the info on your experiences - I do find this (perhaps sadly) very interesting indeed!

No worries, Graeme, glad to be of any help at all. I have toyed with PS4's. Tomas and I have spoken about it a few times. I can't make Croft due to JAE so that only leaves Snett which I've never driven before in the 300 layout. I may revise what tyres I run for next year, but will likely wait until then. 

43 minutes ago, GraemeI said:

Can't figure out whether to say turned it on or off tbh!  The lights on the dash come on when choosing VSC Sport mode, which theoretically turns off some parts of the traction control, but leaves on stability control....  I didn't have it interfere when I did a clean corner, only when I was getting way over-enthusiastic on the throttle too early. It didn't interfere otherwise.

I never ran with with anything other than VSC Sport mode, so never turned everything Off Off :D

When I forgot to press any buttons, it went mental in all the corners, first, second, third, fourth etc etc.  On my fastest one, I remembered to press the VSC Sport button first, so it didn't pull power anywhere that I remember.  Occasionally I get the light flashing, but it didn't pull any power - I think that's a reminder that the traction control would have been interfering if I didn't press the button first :P 

On both your videos you can clearly hear it intervening on most corners! It's a very distinctive noise when it brakes the outside rears. The noise of frustration, haha!

35 minutes ago, Lauren said:

No worries, Graeme, glad to be of any help at all. I have toyed with PS4's. Tomas and I have spoken about it a few times. I can't make Croft due to JAE so that only leaves Snett which I've never driven before in the 300 layout. I may revise what tyres I run for next year, but will likely wait until then. 

I don't think it'll hurt you that much not having driven the full 300. The technical corners are all on the old outer (200) circuit, whereas on the infield they are all pretty standard corners.

4 minutes ago, maurice said:

On both your videos you can clearly hear it intervening on most corners! It's a very distinctive noise when it brakes the outside rears. The noise of frustration, haha!

Hahaha - awesomeness.  Shows how little attention I was paying!  If I can't feel it pulling power, I am happy :P 

I did feel it at Kendrew, massively, but not often at Anglesey.  Can only be me! :P 

3 minutes ago, maurice said:

I don't think it'll hurt you that much not having driven the full 300. The technical corners are all on the old outer (200) circuit, whereas on the infield they are all pretty standard corners.

I see there is a track day at Snett 300 the Wednesday after Croft...... Hmmmm ;) 

One picture (courtesy of Darren) - shows the stance of my car through Seamans corner.  You can see how hard the fronts are having to work - they are trying to pull themselves off the rims :) 

Just remembered another variable, but unsure of what the actual impact may be - I have slightly different tyres front to rear, as they didn't have the same ones in stock.... fronts are W rated and rears are Y rated for speed, which means the compounds must be slightly different, but I don't know which way - lol :)

5b831dee06fbd_IMG_9286(2).jpg.c45f5ec15bc182d302bd5ee92c1fe3c9.jpg

At least I didn't use ALL the kerb on the way out this time (unlike another run....)

5b831e41916bf_IMG_9289(2).jpg.89776d7e715a81b9d8ad9f34ae8929d8.jpg