benmmellor

CEL & TRC Lights have come on - safe to drive?

Just picked up the kids from school - when i drove home, the CEL and Traction Control lights have come on and stayed on? Seen a thread about this occurring being various issues flagged by these lights being on.

Just ordered an OBD2 reader from Amazon which should be here tomorrow but I'm supposed to be in working away from tomorrow night and so I may only get chance to read the codes and maybe clear them. That depends on what time the package lands in the Amazon locker up the road.

Any advice on it being 'safe' to drive - CEL light is on permanently which means a stored code - at least it's not flashing!

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

I doubt it's going to blow up on you.....

*disclaimer, not a mechanic*

lol - I know it should be safe. At worst case it would be an AA recovery to Macclesfield if I have a problem. Already sent Rich an email advising that once I know the codes I'll be in touch with a potential case of 'GT86 Ebola'

8 minutes ago, Foulsmell said:

Mine did it the other week. Went off over night. Never came back as yet.

will pull codes anyway and see what is stored. hopfully it's a blip but we'll see.

Most of the bigger issues are noticeable, the VVT issue tends to make the car really lumpy especially at idle. You can still drive, it'll just drive like a load of crap. If it seems OK then it probably is.

10 hours ago, MartinT said:

ABS sensor?

There has been a noticeable squeak of late - I just put it down to the brake pads.. I'd expect the ABS light to come on for that sort of problem. I've had that before on my Celica when the rings on the outer CV joints had a crack in them causing the ABS at low speeds.

10 hours ago, knightryder said:

Most of the bigger issues are noticeable, the VVT issue tends to make the car really lumpy especially at idle. You can still drive, it'll just drive like a load of crap. If it seems OK then it probably is.

It's had a few moments of rough idle but not paid it that much attention as once I'm off moving I hadn't noticed anything.

Code reader should land at some point today and I've got Torque Pro loaded and ready to go so I can see what the stored codes are.

finally back home, picked up the OBD reader and pulled the stored codes.

Only one listed was P0171. I've cleared that for now - I don't think it's the intake as that's been on for ages so should throw up a code all of a sudden. I'll check the PCV connections to the inlet manifold and crankcase via the catch can tomorrow but they were all jubilee clipped and tight.

I'm suspecting it was a minor glitch but at least I can monitor it with Torque Pro now.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I've had the P0171 before, has it been cutting out or just the CEL?

Mine would cut out but then I had a fairly sizeable hole in part of the intake :D

Just the CEL - intake has been on for months with no issue. Fitted a catch can a couple of weeks ago. If that was the cause then I'd have expected it to trigger earlier than this week.

2 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Too lean eh? Curious. Do you have one of the two cats removed?

Yep - secondary has been removed but again that's been like that for over a year and a half!

8 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

Too lean eh? Curious. Do you have one of the two cats removed?

Wouldn't matter. Primary O2 is upstream of the 1st cat.

9 hours ago, benmmellor said:

finally back home, picked up the OBD reader and pulled the stored codes.

Only one listed was P0171. I've cleared that for now - I don't think it's the intake as that's been on for ages so should throw up a code all of a sudden. I'll check the PCV connections to the inlet manifold and crankcase via the catch can tomorrow but they were all jubilee clipped and tight.

I'm suspecting it was a minor glitch but at least I can monitor it with Torque Pro now.

It flags this when the fuel trims are in excess of +30% or 35% (I can't remember which). Intake leak, MAF sensor issue or O2 sensors are the likely culprits.

Last car I drove could throw a code after a decat on long spells of closed loop driving. Now I think about it it was catalyst below efficiency. Too lean was indeed front side of the engine.