Sign in to follow this  
Mode 10

Ace 400 & SC question

Been having my eye on the Ace manifold El for a while now. I realise the price but what has drawn me to it is the great lower down torque it has compared to other EL. Im set on going supercharger in the future but cant make my mind up which route to take. Twin screw or Centrifugal? Would the ACE and a centrifugal (Like the HKS) give it good power all around? or would i be better going for lower down torque and mid with a Sprintex and use a cheaper EL to keep it more consistent at the top? Also what gains is there to be had of just using an ACE with tune alone?

Hi Mode 10

As one of the ACE owner's I hope I can help a little.

Twin screw or Centrifugal?

This is really personal preference, I suggest you try and have a go in both. 

Out of all the available supercharger options my preference would be a positive displacement supercharger, like the Cosworth or Harrop (both of which are silly cheap at the moment). 

Would the ACE and a centrifugal (Like the HKS) give it good power all around?

Yes

or would i be better going for lower down torque and mid with a Sprintex and use a cheaper EL to keep it more consistent at the top?

Just keep the stock manifold, it'll be sufficient enough for that.

However Rob is currently selling his full exhaust system, which he used with his Sprintex: 

Also what gains is there to be had of just using an ACE with tune alone?

My dyno graph can been seen on my build thread here:

3 hours ago, Mode 10 said:

Been having my eye on the Ace manifold El for a while now. I realise the price but what has drawn me to it is the great lower down torque it has compared to other EL. Im set on going supercharger in the future but cant make my mind up which route to take. Twin screw or Centrifugal? Would the ACE and a centrifugal (Like the HKS) give it good power all around? or would i be better going for lower down torque and mid with a Sprintex and use a cheaper EL to keep it more consistent at the top? Also what gains is there to be had of just using an ACE with tune alone?

I expect you'll gain as much with the TD EL manifold NA tune deal. Whatever manifold you choose will work well enough with a supercharger. Having driven the Spintex and the HKS setup I would go HKS everytime. The Cosworth and Harrop are better though, but I like the top end of the HKS if you want to go supercharger. I don't think using a cheaper EL (though aren't they all cheaper than the ACE?) will have that much of an impact. But I would say with an NA tune if you stick with that, long primaries are the key for torque in the manifold. I've been very impressed with the TD NA setup I have and having had a week of driving Welsh B roads at good speed there is never a feeling that I need more power. It just wouldn't really add to anything. I've gained nigh on 40lb/ft in the midrange which does make  real difference. 

11 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I expect you'll gain as much with the TD EL manifold NA tune deal. Whatever manifold you choose will work well enough with a supercharger. Having driven the Spintex and the HKS setup I would go HKS everytime. The Cosworth and Harrop are better though, but I like the top end of the HKS if you want to go supercharger. I don't think using a cheaper EL (though aren't they all cheaper than the ACE?) will have that much of an impact. But I would say with an NA tune if you stick with that, long primaries are the key for torque in the manifold. I've been very impressed with the TD NA setup I have and having had a week of driving Welsh B roads at good speed there is never a feeling that I need more power. It just wouldn't really add to anything. I've gained nigh on 40lb/ft in the midrange which does make  real difference. 

The TD NA package does seem brilliant value for money :) I do plan on using TD for the actual tune in the future as I live in the lake district and am miles away from anywhere :P . Yeah I would need to have a go in a couple supercharged 86's to help me decide. Coming from my main car which is a Twin T Audi SQ5 i know a SC brz isn't going to blow me away in the torque department but it would be nice to have a bit more :)

19 hours ago, maurice said:

I wonder if there would be clearance issues with the HKS supercharger and a long tube header, might not be the best designs to combine.

The Ace is all under the engine so not an issue, the TD manifold would not be compatible.