CiaranPW

Disconnected battery problem

So I disconnected the negative of the battery yesterday in order to remove the front of the steering wheel without beeping anyone. I've put everything back in place but my car now seems more likely to stall... When I'm on the bite point of the clutch, the revs are going up and down slightly. Whereas before it was always steady.

Any ideas on a fix would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Lowe said:

Car is relearning your throttle positions/calibration and various other factors. It'll settle down by itself in time.

That's reassuring, I thought I'd done something wrong.

Thank you :)

Sometimes this learning period can be smoothed out by letting the car idle for ten minutes or so from cold, but it isn't particularly sympathetic to lubrication. Look on the bright side, the RX8 was a pain in the arse after forgetting its trims. If you didn't let it learn idle, it would instantly stall as soon as out of gear once it was warm!

The ECU needs to learn how to adjust fuelling across the temperature and rev range, because the default map doesn't know what climate you're in or how thick the oil is, or indeed how well the fuel pump is operating etc. There is also wiggle room in the sensors, so modern cars self-correct continuously where the old guys would be tuning their carbs.

To relearn fuel trims:

Make several slow (as slow as you can without feeling unstable) climbs to 5500rpm. I usually do this in 3rd or 4th. Once your LTFT has stabilized, and if your IAM is still at 1, it should be done.

Dead pedal fix:

When car is off, turn ignition to accessory, slowly press accelerator to floor 5-6 times.

Though i've seen also posts just to wait 30sec in accessory mode. And maybe repeat once more, (turn off, accessory, 30sec wait), and finished with starting engine and let 1min idle.