alucardo

Alucardo's 86 Road / Track

I have been on the forum for a while and I thought it was about time I put some details up about my car and my tweaks. The cars main aim to balance more towards road but have trackdays in mind.

Engine Changes:-

Tuning developments Cat Back Resonated Exhaust
Tuning developments down pipe cat deletion
Tuning developments EL Manifold
ECU Tek remap
Tunging Developments Oil Cooler
D1 Spec Oil Pressure Gauge via vent placement

Gearbox:-

Powerflex shift bush
mtec springs

Chasis:-

BC adjustable drop links
MP20 Ohlins Coilovers
White line LCA's
Powerflex Camber bolts
(1.1 neg camber all round with slight out at front and toe in at rear)

Wheels and Brakes:-

RAYS Japan - Gram Lights 17*7
Porsche GT3 Brake ducts
Apracing reyland 330mm brake kit with 2500 pads
Coswroth streetmaster rear pads

Misc:-

Fensport Headlight adjuster

Future Plans:-

None at present maybe look at the Supra when it comes out

It was surprising how good the car was in standard on track and  how it handled the alps which I thought it might struggle on the ascent but managed to hold onto so much more expensive machinery. Since the alps I started making changes to add some power and now after a some track days I have added in some handling with the Ohlins suspension.

To do:-

Currently the car drives exactly as I want it, the only problem I have had is with the brakes overheating in the alps and at Donnington so a BBK is something I will look at for next year.

cpOPDqd.jpg

iSUmOZT.jpg

CYHsyLH.jpg
ovidqML.jpg?1
0jRdoun.jpg

50 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

If it brakes okay, you might just want to get grooved discs and save some £££ on BBK

The grooved discs will only really give a little extra bite of the pads onto the disc but on the downside will wear them quicker they won't help with overheating. 

This is when cost comes into it:

300 new disc
150 new pads

Which will likely wear quicker if grooved, there is also no guarantee that they will solve my problem. They are also likely to screech like most pads/discs do for the GT86 so a BBK is steep upfront but you reep long term through consumables and no lost track days down to brakes.

1 hour ago, alucardo said:

This is when cost comes into it:

300 new disc
150 new pads

Which will likely wear quicker if grooved, there is also no guarantee that they will solve my problem. They are also likely to screech like most pads/discs do for the GT86 so a BBK is steep upfront but you reep long term through consumables and no lost track days down to brakes.

The AP kit from Ryland is a good buy and where my money will eventually be going. 

Agree about the pads. Whilst you could swop track pads in like Carbotechs you won't like them on the road. As you probably know I've opted to take the plunge. £1500 isn't too bad for the base option from Reyland with AP Racing 4 pots. I went for black too, it's cheaper. ;)

Is 1.1 degrees negative camber all you can get on the fronts? I'd say 2 degrees is better. But I guess you have stock topmounts with the Ohlins. 

I could have gotten 1.5 neg camber but it's mainly a road car so stayed close to stock. I've had -2 camber and more before and can be a chore on some roads.

I was about to buy the black kit myself then the suspension came up. So will be next year now.,

Thought I would give a quick review of the MP20's so far.

I have had them 14 clicks from firm as per Ohlins instructions and recommendations this falls into the general driving arena. So far they are a level above stock for general comfort driving especially at slower speed and their ability to soak up bumps. When I had the mugen 5-way adjustable suspension on the Integra Type R they felt like this and they where the best road/track compromise suspension I have ever owned. As of now the ohlins are shaping up to be even better. I will be taking the Ohlins to 10 clicks from firm which is for winding roads next weekend and will have a hoon on some of my favourite roads to see how they stack up. 7 clicks and below is for track but that will be next year.

2 hours ago, alucardo said:

Thought I would give a quick review of the MP20's so far.

I have had them 14 clicks from firm as per Ohlins instructions and recommendations this falls into the general driving arena. So far they are a level above stock for general comfort driving especially at slower speed and their ability to soak up bumps. When I had the mugen 5-way adjustable suspension on the Integra Type R they felt like this and they where the best road/track compromise suspension I have ever owned. As of now the ohlins are shaping up to be even better. I will be taking the Ohlins to 10 clicks from firm which is for winding roads next weekend and will have a hoon on some of my favourite roads to see how they stack up. 7 clicks and below is for track but that will be next year.

Hi chap,

The damping for the MP20 vs the MI20 is basically the same so I suspect you might find -10 clicks too stiff on bad roads with those soft rates. When I say "too stiff" I dont mean in terms of comfort but more so that the damping is a little firm to let the wheels move over bad surfaces and you'll notice a bit less grip in corners compared to softer damping.  Try it anyway and let us know what you think.

I run mine at -12clicks with 60N/mm F&R and its a compromise IMO for fast smooth road vs crap B roads. If I drove daily id set them to -15.  At he track I dont go above -8 these days either.

Certainly -5 clicks feels is too stiff on my spring rates at the track. Perhaps its my stiff side walled AD08Rs but I found more grip at -8 than -5.  Sure you get a more satisfying feel with more damping, but I feel that a bit on the softer side is better on mine. 

RCE in the US tried 8kg F&R on the MI20s and they had them set to -7/-8 for the road and track so that kind shows they have a lot of damping to control those rates.  Its approx 300% difference in low speed damping between -20 and 0 clicks.

1 hour ago, Ade said:

Hi chap,

The damping for the MP20 vs the MI20 is basically the same so I suspect you might find -10 clicks too stiff on bad roads with those soft rates. When I say "too stiff" I dont mean in terms of comfort but more so that the damping is a little firm to let the wheels move over bad surfaces and you'll notice a bit less grip in corners compared to softer damping.  Try it anyway and let us know what you think.

I run mine at -12clicks with 60N/mm F&R and its a compromise IMO for fast smooth road vs crap B roads. If I drove daily id set them to -15.  At he track I dont go above -8 these days either.

Certainly -5 clicks feels is too stiff on my spring rates at the track. Perhaps its my stiff side walled AD08Rs but I found more grip at -8 than -5.  Sure you get a more satisfying feel with more damping, but I feel that a bit on the softer side is better on mine. 

RCE in the US tried 8kg F&R on the MI20s and they had them set to -7/-8 for the road and track so that kind shows they have a lot of damping to control those rates.  Its approx 300% difference in low speed damping between -20 and 0 clicks.

Mine these days is a weekend toy so I'm just testing to get a balance of comfort and aggression for B-road. 14 was comfortable and was a pleasure to drive however it was missing an edge. So I will drop and test and see what happens. I actually drove back from TD on 7 clicks and to my surprise was not uncomfortable for 1hour 30 minute drive back on mainly A roads admittedly. It also seemed to garner better traction our of islands but that might have been placebo being all excited over new shiney suspension.

300% difference in low speed damping between -20 and 0 clicks. - Thats a vast amount to cover.

So had the car on setting 12 for the past 2 weekends and finally got a spirited drive out yesterday even if it was abit greasy. 12 is a crossover point between comfortable for the road in all aspects and being more focused for short bursts. I tend to drive the midland tick  well at least part of it. So for my testing yesterday I did part of the root setting 12 which was great no problems and then did setting 10 which again was great if a litle harsher in terms of overall ride quality.

I would use 10 and no lower on UK roads and only go below 12 if I was setting up for a specific road as when I went back on the road on setting 10 the ride became some what harsher and annoying when all I wanted to do was cruise. So for UK  road 14-12 seems to be a sweet spot anything below would become tiresome on a longer journey. So it has been left on 12 for the foreseeable future.

http://www.drivingforpleasure.co.uk/roads-and-tours/uk-road.php?s=2011-12-01-the-midlands-tick

Slight update. As from previous posts I intended to purchase a BBK so I did and now I need to bed them in as with most of the country its not really quite ready for some big safe stops

RuPwNv4.jpg

Obviously very dirty but you get the idea. Also changed the rear pads and fensport headlight adjuster. So roll on Blyton on the 21st so I can test those brakes out :)

Also thanks again to Mike and TD for fitting :)

Nice, you'll love the brakes. It only takes 20 minutes or so to bed them in. I did mine at night on a quiet dual carriageway. Once you can smell them, you're done. :)

On 3/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, alucardo said:

Slight update. As from previous posts I intended to purchase a BBK so I did and now I need to bed them in as with most of the country its not really quite ready for some big safe stops

RuPwNv4.jpg

Obviously very dirty but you get the idea. Also changed the rear pads and fensport headlight adjuster. So roll on Blyton on the 21st so I can test those brakes out :)

Also thanks again to Mike and TD for fitting :)

Those discs look the wrong way round to me. Curve should enter the pad on the inside of the disc as shown below, and chuck the debris out the top.

Also the cooling vanes will be in the wrong direction. I think you have reyland discs? so the cooling vanes will be straight, so wont matter in that respect if that the case, but the curves on the surface are still not correct. 

5a9d47ea3d611_APdiscrotation.thumb.png.4e14c4e83ee08ff019449e4c4c1531e7.png

On 12/4/2017 at 9:30 AM, alucardo said:

So had the car on setting 12 for the past 2 weekends and finally got a spirited drive out yesterday even if it was abit greasy. 12 is a crossover point between comfortable for the road in all aspects and being more focused for short bursts. I tend to drive the midland tick  well at least part of it. So for my testing yesterday I did part of the root setting 12 which was great no problems and then did setting 10 which again was great if a litle harsher in terms of overall ride quality.

I would use 10 and no lower on UK roads and only go below 12 if I was setting up for a specific road as when I went back on the road on setting 10 the ride became some what harsher and annoying when all I wanted to do was cruise. So for UK  road 14-12 seems to be a sweet spot anything below would become tiresome on a longer journey. So it has been left on 12 for the foreseeable future.

http://www.drivingforpleasure.co.uk/roads-and-tours/uk-road.php?s=2011-12-01-the-midlands-tick

I basically found the same I use -15 winter and -12 summer on the road and found it a good balance between a nice ride and not making the steering response too sloppy.

Track -8 to -12 generally. I used to go to -5 and noticed I was quicker on -8. Firmer is not always faster!

Lauren, yours are correct.

This makes me think mine are on the wrong way round now. However as they've been on well over 12months I couldn't careless anymore.ce27b61cd99b9cba791309c3f462a064.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk