GraemeI

Wheel Advice

Hi all,

I have been looking high and low for wheels that fit my criteria and apparently I am fussy....  Nothing new there then!

I am looking for light 17x8"wheels for road and track use, and it turns out they are rare and expensive for the GT86.  The only ones I have found that seem to fit are the Rays CE28n (and also the TE37, but they aren't as light :) )

So, that brings me to my first question - does anyone know what Rays actually mean when they say wheels are Competition Use Size only?  Logic explains it's supposed to be for Competition Use, but I would love to know why!  Does it mean they are not strong enough for daily driver and road use with potholes etc, or does it mean something else?

My second question is more general, asking if anyone has any other suggestions?  I have spent days going over forum entries etc and have struggled.

Thanks, Graeme

8 minutes ago, GraemeI said:

Hi all,

I have been looking high and low for wheels that fit my criteria and apparently I am fussy....  Nothing new there then!

I am looking for light 17x8"wheels for road and track use, and it turns out they are rare and expensive for the GT86.  The only ones I have found that seem to fit are the Rays CE28n (and also the TE37, but they aren't as light :) )

So, that brings me to my first question - does anyone know what Rays actually mean when they say wheels are Competition Use Size only?  Logic explains it's supposed to be for Competition Use, but I would love to know why!  Does it mean they are not strong enough for daily driver and road use with potholes etc, or does it mean something else?

My second question is more general, asking if anyone has any other suggestions?  I have spent days going over forum entries etc and have struggled.

Thanks, Graeme

Hello, we are official RAYS distributors in UK. 

When Rays say "Competition size only" it just means, that given sizes (diameter x width x offset) may not fit some standard cars as wider arches may be required or some additional clearance etc. It doesn't mean they aren't strong enough, but at the same time when you look at CE28SL 18", you shouldn't use them on heavy cars such as BMW X5, G class Benz, Rolls Royce etc. They are tested at 130mp/h and made to withstand the impact of slamming into a wall when on a normal passenger/sports car.

As far as TE37 go, you could have TE37SL (Super Light) 17x8.5 ET45 

or CE28SL 17x7.5 ET48 or 17x9 ET44 which is wider tyre friendly.. (225+) 

if you go 17x8.5 instead, there's tonnes of choice, and no real difference to the tyres you use or the way the car drives.

As long as you stay away from the really cheapy reps most stuff should be strong enough for road and track use, although to save weight you should look at forged wheels like the TE37s, or something like the XXR range which are pretty light. How important are looks to you?

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

if you go 17x8.5 instead, there's tonnes of choice, and no real difference to the tyres you use or the way the car drives.

As long as you stay away from the really cheapy reps most stuff should be strong enough for road and track use, although to save weight you should look at forged wheels like the TE37s, or something like the XXR range which are pretty light. How important are looks to you?

Cheers Paul.

The TE37's are slightly heavier than the CE28n's (also forged).  Looks are important, but secondary to the weight :)  I found a set of SSR Type-C's but they have to come from Russia/RimsJapan and I have no idea how that would work or whether it was a good idea or not.

The reason I was looking at 8" instead of 8.5" was because I wasn't sure how they would be with clearance and also means my 225/45 tyres will be super stretched which won't be great for road use...

I can't comment on specifics around the 17" size regarding wheels and tyres to be honest, I put 18x8.5s on my car the month I got it and haven't changed them since.

10 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Hello, we are official RAYS distributors in UK. 

When Rays say "Competition size only" it just means, that given sizes (diameter x width x offset) may not fit some standard cars as wider arches may be required or some additional clearance etc. It doesn't mean they aren't strong enough, but at the same time when you look at CE28SL 18", you shouldn't use them on heavy cars such as BMW X5, G class Benz, Rolls Royce etc. They are tested at 130mp/h and made to withstand the impact of slamming into a wall when on a normal passenger/sports car.

As far as TE37 go, you could have TE37SL (Super Light) 17x8.5 ET45 

or CE28SL 17x7.5 ET48 or 17x9 ET44 which is wider tyre friendly.. (225+) 

Thanks Lucas. That sort of makes sense, but not when the size and offset are smaller than some of the so called 'standard' ones!

They do a CE28N in 17x8 with 38 offset, but Competition Size only....  The 17x9 is a  good offset, but a bit wide, and I definitely wasn't sure about clearance with that :)

The ZE40's are quite nice, but i prefer the spokes on the CE28's.  The wide ZE40's (and CE28's) look really good, but I didn't want to go that big - weight compromise mostly :D 

@GraemeI I'm on cusco dampers, which are stock size dampers and 9J ET33 fit. 225/40 has a minimal stretch on those, I don't think your clearance would be an issue to be honest, but obviously I don't know how low you are.

BTW Team Dynamics do some lightweight wheels

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

I can't comment on specifics around the 17" size regarding wheels and tyres to be honest, I put 18x8.5s on my car the month I got it and haven't changed them since.

What size tyres are you using?

Just now, Lucas@PartBox said:

@GraemeI I'm on cusco dampers, which are stock size dampers and 9J ET33 fit. 225/40 has a minimal stretch on those, I don't think your clearance would be an issue to be honest, but obviously I don't know how low you are.

BTW Team Dynamics do some lightweight wheels

@Lucas@PartBox 

I meant clearance to dampers rather than the arches.  At the moment, I only have Eibach Pro-Kit springs with standard dampers, so only 20-25mm drop. This will probably change to a set of adjustable coilers when time and money permit, but not decided as yet...

I was also trying to avoid reducing the sidewall because of the ride on the road.  It's hard enough as is:D 

I am amazed those wheels fitted tbh - impressive clearance!  Do you have any pictures of what they look like?

That ET and additional wheel width must mess with your scrub radius!

I know Team Dynamics do the Pro Race 1.2's but I am not much of a fan - they are not that light and I don't like their design that much either. (told you I am fussy - lol :) )

3 minutes ago, GraemeI said:

Thanks Lucas. That sort of makes sense, but not when the size and offset are smaller than some of the so called 'standard' ones!

They do a CE28N in 17x8 with 38 offset, but Competition Size only....  The 17x9 is a  good offset, but a bit wide, and I definitely wasn't sure about clearance with that :)

The ZE40's are quite nice, but i prefer the spokes on the CE28's.  The wide ZE40's (and CE28's) look really good, but I didn't want to go that big - weight compromise mostly :D 

"Competition size" on those particular models indicates a slightly different hub as well. Centre caps cannot be fitted. 

There are still normal CE28Ns available, 17x7.5 ET50 10 Spoke design

Just now, Lucas@PartBox said:

"Competition size" on those particular models indicates a slightly different hub as well. Centre caps cannot be fitted. 

There are still normal CE28Ns available, 17x7.5 ET50 10 Spoke design

Ahh, that makes more sense!  Thank you!  I guess you don't want to run without centre caps on the road all the time, but in competition it won't matter so much - less to fall off!!!

I saw those CE28N's - pity the ET50 of sucks, and I already have 7.5's.  Yeesh!

What is the weight of those 17x8 ZE40's again?  And their offset?  And also the weight of the CE28SL 17x9's ?  I am starting to be swayed :D 

7 minutes ago, GraemeI said:

Ahh, that makes more sense!  Thank you!  I guess you don't want to run without centre caps on the road all the time, but in competition it won't matter so much - less to fall off!!!

I saw those CE28N's - pity the ET50 of sucks, and I already have 7.5's.  Yeesh!

What is the weight of those 17x8 ZE40's again?  And their offset?  And also the weight of the CE28SL 17x9's ?  I am starting to be swayed :D 

ZE40 - 17x7.5 ET44 or 17x8 ET48

I don't have those figures, I will email Rays for you and find out! 

Just now, Rich said:

Considered the Weds TC105Ns (I have them)? 6.75kg for the 17x8 model. Look somewhat similar to a CE28N, but cheaper. There's a dude over in america who makes combined spigot ring / centre caps for them as well, so you don't have to run capless.

http://wedssport.jp/products/english/tc105n.html

I did consider them, but they were fairly pricy and not forged.  Not to mention I couldn't find any anywhere!

They are a good weight, not quite as good looking (always an opinion only), but still open to the idea if I can find some at the right price.

6 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

@GraemeI to make this easier for you, 

ZE40 17x7.5 - £2500

17x8 - 2600

17x9 - 2700

CE28SL 17x9 - £2370

LOL - Love the term 'easier' :) 

Easier to have a coronary maybe!

I'm not overly bothered about super light wheels, function is more my thing. Lap time difference is yet to be proved and probably is miniscule anyway. There are many other ways to improve the car for me other than  unsprung  weight ;) 

And @Lucas@PartBox those 18x9 look the dogs dangles.

7 minutes ago, KevinA said:

I'm not overly bothered about super light wheels, function is more my thing. Lap time difference is yet to be proved and probably is miniscule anyway. There are many other ways to improve the car for me other than  unsprung  weight ;) 

And @Lucas@PartBox those 18x9 look the dogs dangles.

I had wondered about your XXR's when I looked up the weight :)

I have noticed quite a big difference to the way the car feels with my slightly lighter (than stock) wheels, which is why I wanted to get some that were lighter still.  It has almost eliminated the 'chattering' the stock car gets around corners on rippled roads.  I guess that could have been a combination of the Eibach springs with the lighter wheels.

As for the many other improvements, I am all ears!  Not all wallet mind you :D

Currently thinking suspension followed by some driver training to get most out of the car.  I just figured lighter and slightly wider wheels should come first, but always happy to learn (and be wrong!).

All true as you say, I have driven 86's on light wheels and there is quite a difference in feel. For me the cost of light wheels was going to buy a lot of other mods. But nail on the head " seat time with a good driver " is the best upgrade for sure.

3 hours ago, GraemeI said:

The reason I was looking at 8" instead of 8.5" was because I wasn't sure how they would be with clearance and also means my 225/45 tyres will be super stretched which won't be great for road use...

They will hardly be stretched at all. 8.5" is better than 8" with a 225. I've run a 225/45/17 on my 8" TE37's. I didn't like it, too much sidewall flex, so I went back to a 215/45/17 which I've run ever since.