Blameshift

GT86 (2012) | FR-S 2013 | Same car?

I've made a quite recent post about looking for parts but as I've now understood the FR-S wasn't available before 2013 in US meaning that all FR-S/GT86 parts that are in the US will be marked as 2013+ but what I am wondering is if anyone know the actual difference between a 2013 FR-s and a 2012 GT86 (europe). Will every single bit and piece that I find for an FR-S 2013 fit on my 2012 GT86? Please make this as clear as possible.

Side note: Sorry for posting several times about a very similiar subject but I want to put the hammer down and know the actual difference because I don't dare to buy anything incase it won't fit on my 2012 GT86. 

There might be differences in stock spring rates. Maybe of what goes into stock trim levels. Audio headunit. Maybe function of side markers and rear tail lights, not sure about those. Maybe ECU tune. And probably speedo, including digital one, marked in miles.

As for part fitment, almost each and every should fit. Including from BRZ. Though Scion & Toyota shares part number system, with Subaru having own. No wonder most aftermarket shops show most parts as being compatible with 2012-2016 brz/gt86/fr-s .. a bit more differences come from 2017 restyled/refreshed models, but even then many parts are inter-changeable/compatible.

Only things i'd be more careful with fitment/compatibility, front & rear bumpers that differ between GT86 & BRZ (but not vs FR-S). On GT86 of mine i use retrofitted shark-fin from FR-S, sidemirror auto-fold system and group-n front topmounts from Subaru. Intercompatibility expands ways/numbers of shops to get parts from.

1 minute ago, Church said:

There might be differences in stock spring rates. Maybe of what goes into stock trim levels. Audio headunit. Maybe function of side markers and rear tail lights, not sure about those. Maybe ECU tune. And probably speedo, including digital one, marked in miles.

As for part fitment, almost each and every should fit. Including from BRZ. Though Scion & Toyota shares part number system, with Subaru having own. No wonder most aftermarket shops show most parts as being compatible with 2012-2016 brz/gt86/fr-s .. a bit more differences come from 2017 restyled/refreshed models, but even then many parts are inter-changeable/compatible.

Only things i'd be more careful with fitment/compatibility, front & rear bumpers that differ between GT86 & BRZ (but not vs FR-S). On GT86 of mine i use retrofitted shark-fin from FR-S, sidemirror auto-fold system and group-n front topmounts from Subaru. Intercompatibility expands ways/numbers of shops to get parts from.

What I am looking for at the moment are a diffuser & splitter but you're saying that the diffuser & splitter fitting a 2013 FRS is gonna fit my 2012 GT86 as well?

Diffuser should fit also BRZ, IIRC read bumper was same. Front splitter - for GT86 & FRS 2012-2016. Most shops list with which car part is compatible with, or relist product in "several car areas"

44 minutes ago, Church said:

Diffuser should fit also BRZ, IIRC read bumper was same. Front splitter - for GT86 & FRS 2012-2016. Most shops list with which car part is compatible with, or relist product in "several car areas"

Ye but looking on diffusers and splitters from the US they only list FR-S and BRZ, never the gt86 since it isn't sold there (right?).

For some reason the US/elsewhere are always a year ahead with their model numbers, so the 2018 car is the car you can buy now etc. If your car was registered in 2012 it was probably a 2013 model.

If you want something specific made by some small foreign shop in most cases there is no way but bite the bullet of high shipping & importing costs and long wait time.

At best for big manufacturers selling internationally there might be some local dealerships/resellers world wide, but not so for smaller shops, products of which even if happen to be listed in some local shops inventory, will have those extra shipping/importing charges factored in (much higher) price anyway. And often they won't stock those niche products, but will order from makers only when one will place/pay order, so long wait time still will be there.

6 hours ago, Steeps said:

For some reason the US/elsewhere are always a year ahead with their model numbers, so the 2018 car is the car you can buy now etc. If your car was registered in 2012 it was probably a 2013 model.

The model years in the UK are the same for the GT86. Mine is a MY16 and I picked it up in September 2015 - the first ones had arrived here in June/July IIRC. The first cars in the UK were also MY13, I believe - you can tell from the VIN.

For Blameshift's benefit, whilst there were changes between model years between 2012-2016 (as well as variations between FRS and GT86) I'm not aware of any differences between model years that would affect compatibility with aftermarket parts either.

2 hours ago, maurice said:

I believe the FRS also has more poverty spec rear brakes.

No, that was the low spec car in Japan and Australia IIRC. The base FR-S was a bit of an odd one with regards to spec that we know as that mechanically it was a top spec car but had the lower interior and exterior trim we had in the UK/EU.