Sign in to follow this  
Samsss

Winter tyres

Hi guys and girls, unfortunately winter is coming and I have been thinking about getting a set of winter tyres for the 86, as it's my daily. What do you guys recommend, I am probably going to get new wheels next year so I may keep winter's on the stock wheels

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not on an 86/BRZ but I've driven Michelin Alpin and Conti WinterContact and both are excellent winter tyres. You can't go massively wrong with the big brands but a little off centre, I had Avon Ice Touring tyres on my 205 and they were great in both snow and more often just cold wet conditions, however they became very spongy when the weather started warming up. Not something I've experienced so dramatically with either the Michelins or the Contis.

Saw a panda in Sicily the other day with winters on. It was 25 degrees!

Anyway... I've rode out two winters with Dunlop wintersport tyres. They're a bit vague until you tap into the grip after which they are nearly as grippy as the primacy HP and a lot more fun in the wet. Pretty rubbish above 15 degrees, really excellent in heavy rain and icy conditions. Also better on gravel drives! My choice again, I'd go for a milder/wet-focussed tyre, such as @Deacon suggests, but at time of purchase I was disabled by snow.