RyanKirkUK

New to RWD!

Hi guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself! Just picked up my red 2014 GT86 yesterday, awesome little car! Came from a Golf MK4, to a Rav 4 to this!

Having little experience with RWD cars or this type of performance I'm having a few thoughts run through my mind, maybe someone can put my mind at ease.

I managed to get the wheels to spin at 60, in a straight line in the wet so naturally took me by surprise a little, is this normal or do I need some better tyres on the rear? (Michelin on the front, generic brand on the back).

Also most of the power delivery is in the top of the rev range, this is bizzare to me coming from an underpowered 1.6 golf to a heavy turbo diesel suv. Is driving at the top of the rev range likely to cause damage over time or am I overthinking everything?

With the power these have you shouldn't be spinning up at 60 in a straight line. I've heard a few horror stories about people spinning out at very low speeds with poor quality tyres on the rear. Tyres should never be 'cheaped' out on due to it being the only contact on the road. I've had both Yokohama V105S & Michelin Pilosport 4's and would recommend both of them, the Pilotsport is the better one out the two but also slightly more costly

Cheap generic tyres really ruin the experience of the car unless you are planning to take every roundabout sideways, in which case replace the fronts with ditchfinders too and 4 wheel drift every corner  :). As it's your first RWD car I'd get either all 4 matching or at least something grippier on the rear.

It is a revvy engine, as long as it's warmed up before redlining/driving hard there shouldn't be any issues but using the full rev range gently should be fine.

Cheers @Steeps. I figured as much, the rear tyres are very slippy and even with little power they are tending to spin a little.

I absolutely do not intend on taking every roudabout sideways so maybe some new tyres are needed haha

6 minutes ago, Minion said:

With the power these have you shouldn't be spinning up at 60 in a straight line. I've heard a few horror stories about people spinning out at very low speeds with poor quality tyres on the rear. Tyres should never be 'cheaped' out on due to it being the only contact on the road. I've had both Yokohama V105S & Michelin Pilosport 4's and would recommend both of them, the Pilotsport is the better one out the two but also slightly more costly

I think that will be the case, I have never heard of the brand on the back but then again I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad...or maybe it does. Has anyone heard of rovelo tyres? 

Maybe you should avoid the VSC & TC buttons for now haha. Be gentle, I remember my first day with it, I had to stop at the lights and then take 90 degree right turn. I didn't realise how sensitive it was and as i was turning I almost spun out. Never happened to me by accident in a V8 Soarer.. it was auto though :D 

10 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Maybe you should avoid the VSC & TC buttons for now haha. Be gentle, I remember my first day with it, I had to stop at the lights and then take 90 degree right turn. I didn't realise how sensitive it was and as i was turning I almost spun out. Never happened to me by accident in a V8 Soarer.. it was auto though :D 

Been there! Im trying to be gentle with it haha Im yet to read the owners manual, what is the difference between VSC and TC because I believe the VSC turns off traction control too?

4 minutes ago, RyanKirkUK said:

Been there! Im trying to be gentle with it haha Im yet to read the owners manual, what is the difference between VSC and TC because I believe the VSC turns off traction control too?

VSC is just vehicle stability control, it'll let you skid a tiny bit, but then it goes back to normal. Traction Control will let you skid all you want, it'll always stay off, but electronic braking will be applied if you spin out. If you want to turn off everything completely, there's a pedal dance, but you don't really need it unless you have a full track / drift session ahead of you.. So, holding the traction control button for 3s is enough to do a burnout. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, RyanKirkUK said:

I think that will be the case, I have never heard of the brand on the back but then again I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad...or maybe it does. Has anyone heard of rovelo tyres? 

You can guarrantee it means they are shite. Seriously change all four. Yoko Advan V105's or PS4s as a lot are using now. Don't worry about revving the engine as long as it's warm. 

Pressing the TC button once, disables traction control until 50km/h, then it will come back on again automatically. You can press the VSC button once to put it in Sport mode, which allows a little more slip and relaxes the stability control slightly. Three seconds to turn everything off except EBD, but don't worry about the pedal dance thing. 

Think about getting some tuition for RWD, plenty rave about the CAT driver training courses, worth doing if you haven't driven RWD before I would say. 

1 hour ago, Minion said:

With the power these have you shouldn't be spinning up at 60 in a straight line.

On a greasy road and the primacies, you can definitely spin the rears at 60+. I've done it twice.

I haven't experienced it yet and wouldn't want to at that speed. However, I went round a roundabout and the whole car felt like it was sliding, very strange but also quite fun, usually just the back end loses grip but it felt like all 4 tyres where sliding; primacy's :unsure: don't feel safe with them at all. Some days they are fine, then other days they would just lose grip without warning and not pushing hard. 

Edit: Oh and welcome :) 

Cheers @Steeps. I figured as much, the rear tyres are very slippy and even with little power they are tending to spin a little.

I absolutely do not intend on taking every roudabout sideways so maybe some new tyres are needed haha

Don't put the stock Primacies on either - I found them lairy and unpredictable. I rate the Yokohamas - still moves about, but predictably. And they're great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk