Sign in to follow this  
zhuonanli

Squealing HELP

Hi Guys

Some advise is needed for my squealing wheels. Everything was ok until 2 weeks ago.

My car started to produce some squealing noise when moving at very low speed, from 5 mph to 10 mph. Im sure the squealing is from the rotation of the wheels because it happens when the wheels rotate to a certain point. It doesnt happen all the time but it is becoming more often.

I really want to take it to the dealer and let them find out but that means i will have no car for a day, and sometimes the dealers dont spend good time looking for the problem (previous experience)

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Wheel bearing? (car is 2014 car)

Brake Pads?

I have given the wheels and good clean and that didnt solve anything.

Cheers

Can't see it being wheel bearings typical stock pad squeal mine does it and it's still got original pads guess you will have to change make or suffer it some say it's cureable some not

I have similar to this. Usually after warm weather. It disappears when I turn the wheel. its most annoying. I have had a service and have nothing flagged bearing wise etc I do have aftermarket pads but had them on a while. Any clues would be helpful...

6 minutes ago, nikndel said:

Can't see it being wheel bearings typical stock pad squeal mine does it and it's still got original pads guess you will have to change make or suffer it some say it's cureable some not

I totally get the braking squeal when i press the brakes. That i understand. But when this squealing happens im not even touching the brakes.....and it used to be fine until recent :(

Mine does exactly this, very low speed, a squeek that matches the road speed. My thought is wheel bearing but at 30k doesnt seem likely but not impossible. 

Im not going to worry about it and will investigate if and when it starts 'singing' all the time

33 minutes ago, alucardo said:

As the weather has got warmer the noise has become slightly worse. Mine is a 2014 car aswell. Does your noise go if you turn steering wheel?

No mine is still there even if i turn the wheels I think. Im currently on 34K miles

1 minute ago, Andrew Smith said:

Mine does exactly this, very low speed, a squeek that matches the road speed. My thought is wheel bearing but at 30k doesnt seem likely but not impossible. 

Im not going to worry about it and will investigate if and when it starts 'singing' all the time

Looks like a lot of us is getting similar problem with similar mileage, im on 34K

15 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

I would leave mine but I am off into Europe next month for a week or so, so sods law dictates thats when the issue will appear fulltime. May pop over to a garage this afternoon see what they think.

53 minutes ago, zhuonanli said:

I totally get the braking squeal when i press the brakes. That i understand. But when this squealing happens im not even touching the brakes.....and it used to be fine until recent :(

I don't think wheel bearing failure has been a issue with these cars however with people fitting different offset wheels and spacers who knows I would still go with pads or something rubbing discs

I understand your dilema with a road trip coming up. All I can say about mine is that the car had been stood for a few months before I got it and these days I havnt noticed it happening for a while. I will listen out for it next time 

It's probably a sintered bit on the pad. I had this on the rears. So you notice it squeaking at slow speeds. Got it sanded down which got rid of it, but it seems to have returned with my new set of pads. 

I'm still on my original wheel bearings at 97K. It's unlikely to be that. 

57 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's probably a sintered bit on the pad. I had this on the rears. So you notice it squeaking at slow speeds. Got it sanded down which got rid of it, but it seems to have returned with my new set of pads. 

I'm still on my original wheel bearings at 97K. It's unlikely to be that. 

Yes I believe mine is from the rear too. Will probably spend the weekend to check my pads.

I was just about to start a thread regarding this exact issue! 

I have noticed this on mine too, seems to be coming from the rear left, squeaking when the wheel rotates, but only at lower speeds. 

My common sense told me something to do with the pad and disk, maybe slightly fouling? 

Strange! 

FYI: I changed my pads and discs and I now no longer have this at all. I never changed to standard pads as while on my trip I was always going quick enough not to have this noise.

56 minutes ago, Collateral said:

I have noticed this on mine too, seems to be coming from the rear left, squeaking when the wheel rotates, but only at lower speeds. 

My common sense told me something to do with the pad and disk, maybe slightly fouling? 

Strange! 

Mine turned out to be pads stuck in caliper and kept touching the disc. take it out put it back in, sorted

57 minutes ago, Collateral said:

Strange! 

I'm starting to think it's a quirk of the car. My offside rear pad squeaks when the brakes are not on. As I've had it before and it was sintered bit of pad, I've opted not to worry about it. It is quite annoying though! 

10 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I'm starting to think it's a quirk of the car. My offside rear pad squeaks when the brakes are not on. As I've had it before and it was sintered bit of pad, I've opted not to worry about it. It is quite annoying though! 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking!

I have a new exhaust now, so that covers the noise a little :D