KevinA

CROFT 2017

Thought it right to put down a few words after the event, as usual the Saturday night was a great meeting of folks for dinner and refreshment ;) with steaks coming in various shades of tenderness :)

Javelin did a great job of organising as usual with smooth running throughout the day, as for Gt86's N1s was exteremely close as the day progressed. Thomas Verner taking the win with a superb lap which was well deserved. With timed runs over and time to spare, we had some untimed runs to take passengers out which is always good fun.

Obligitory photo of course :P

R1702_TS09_13.jpg

What Kev said. Cheers for the lap at the end... 2 decently large learning points from it!

Half tempted to do Javelin's day at Croft later next month... see if I can get away from the 1:44.6x / 1:44.7xs!

Was a very good day, considering the risk of rain all weekend it was good to see a drying track. Javelin once again on the ball, I nearly got caught out crossing the track between runs as they were firing them out of the start gate much earlier between rounds than at Blyton. It's a shame the Fensport crew couldn't be there but it was a well deserved win for Phil.

All photos can be seen at http://sprintseries.dansteeples.co.uk , weather a lot better than round 5 last year (not too bright).

Was a good weekend, but I can never seem to win at Croft. Got a flyer in early on, as predicted, but Tomas was ahead at lunchtime. I just don't think I got into the zone with it and was really pushing my car hard. Too hard as it turned out with an EML coming on in the afternoon. Found it was the coilpack, but coilpack C this time which I haven't had before. Gary cleared the code and reset the ECU. What I didn't quite realise is that this would significantly affect how the car ran next time out and I was down on power, so had to abort the run as losing 30km/h down the back straight meant I had no chance of getting a good run. 

I thought I would still get second, as Tomas was untouchable and miles ahead, then Kev put in a blinder and just pipped me to take second. So a bit frustrating for me, though I've since learnt where I could have got a bit of time back, but that will have to wait till next year. 

On the upside the championship is shaping up to be a challenging one and that's what I wanted more than ever. Tomas will be leading now overall and I will be second going on a quick guess on the points, with Kev close behind in third. So after two rounds it's all to play for. :)

I've learnt that one out about resetting codes on the ECU too. It also seems to reset the throttle mapping learning so that the car doesn't do what you expect for a few miles! I've heard you can quicken the learning by pumping the accelerator pedal a few times with the ignition on but I've not needed to try it yet.

DId anyone think it was odd that the starter stood on our left? I've never known this before in sprints or hillclimbs. It meant that I could not always see his hand gestures because the mirror or dashcam were in the way.  Just curious.

Never really thought about it, think he stands on the outside, so left for clockwise, right for anti clockwise. Right side is definitely easier to see when you need to inch forward 

2 hours ago, GT86Bob said:

DId anyone think it was odd that the starter stood on our left? I've never known this before in sprints or hillclimbs. It meant that I could not always see his hand gestures because the mirror or dashcam were in the way.  Just curious.

How was Loton today Bob ?

Really crowded paddock and wet while I was there. Got 2 practice runs. Others got 3. Back there tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, GT86Bob said:

Maybe Colin is left handed? It doesn't really matter though as it's when you break the beam that your run starts. Having the plastic pipe lifted from my windscreen was signal enough I thought. 

Just to add to this I had a great first TSS with everyone very welcoming for a newcomer to the series, once track dried I had great fun in the cossie although tyres were struggling as I pushed harder trying to catch front runners (no chance on road tyres I know, but I tried)  which led to some scary moments!  next time some better rubber on me thinks unless there are other Fi cars in class, hopefully see you lot at future round and most probably Anglesey for me next.

Tomas put in a very impressive lap to get close enough for me to start wondering if he was going to catch me despite 40hp less he has!...well driven indeed :D I need to get my exhaust sorted and turn the power back up I think!

Ian