Sign in to follow this  
GT-Eighty-Chris

Squeaky Brakes

Very common problem. Justified by Toyota by the claim that the car is intended to be used on track. Ridiculous if you ask me. Plenty of other focussed cars don't have the same issue.

I swapped mine for a set of Stoptech pads on the front following advice on here, but it's made no difference. Drives me up the wall! Not sure if it's the back ones doing it now, or it's because I didn't grease them when fitting.

8 minutes ago, GT-Eighty-Chris said:

No idea of its normal or not but when I brake gently at lower speeds my brakes squeak. Anyone have similar experiences?

It's really common and due to the nature of the pads.

There is a Toyota service bulletin for this where you can get less high performance but also less squeaky pads fitted.

You can't avoid it in all honesty. Stoptechs were a lot better than stock for this, but really I don't think it's that bad, you get used to it after a time. I've got Project Mu HC800 pads which squeal something terrible and have eaten into the powder coat on my wheels. 

38 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You can't avoid it in all honesty. Stoptechs were a lot better than stock for this, but really I don't think it's that bad, you get used to it after a time. I've got Project Mu HC800 pads which squeal something terrible and have eaten into the powder coat on my wheels. 

Interesting on the project mu's I get a little bit of squeal when I first drive the car as mine isn't used every day now but after a couple of light brake applications no real noise to speak of.

42 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Interesting on the project mu's I get a little bit of squeal when I first drive the car as mine isn't used every day now but after a couple of light brake applications no real noise to speak of.

Mine do it pretty much constantly, though generally I'm extremely light on brakes, think that makes it worse. The squealing is most apparent of course under light braking. 

6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Mine do it pretty much constantly, though generally I'm extremely light on brakes, think that makes it worse. The squealing is most apparent of course under light braking. 

I'm really light on braking - my stock pads were on to last 10 years at the front and 15 years on the rear at the rate of wear they were showing!

I wonder if following the on road bedding in procedure followed by a day on track helped mine?

Well, tbh, I bedded mine on the Blyton Sprint. Not a good idea. Absolutely covered the wheels in dust after the first session and I had no brakes really for the first few runs. They did get a bit better as the day went on though.