ThatGuyThere

My car refuses to unlock on a daily basis

Came to the car one morning, didn't unlock automatically when I went for the handle. Tried the fob, no response. Tried again, nothing. Tried 5 minutes later, unlocked fine, started fine, in-and-out several times during my workday and no problems.

Same thing the following morning, and each morning since.

If I use the little key to open the lock, the alarm goes off when I open the door. Tried my other fob, same thing. Tested the battery, multimeter has it as 3v (correct). Tried turning Bluetooth off on my stereo and my phone. Tried turning my phone off before trying to unlock.

Nothing makes sense to me - if it was a battery issue in the fob, it wouldn't work consistently throughout the day. If it was an issue with the car battery (replaced 6 months ago by Toyota) then it would at least struggle to start in a morning - but it's fine.

The ONLY thing I can think of, is that the day before this started, I tried to charge my phone from completely flat using the USB port in the dash - and after that when I plugged my USB stick back in, it didn't detect it until I turned the ignition off and on twice. My phone has the fast-charge ability so could it have been trying to draw too much power and has confused something?

I've ordered a new battery for the fob, but beyond that I'm stumped. Is there a way to reset the alarm/ECU that's worth trying - maybe disconnecting the battery for half an hour?

i'd say its probably something to do with the battery in the fob. mine did something similar but not quite to that extent. had to get stupidly close to even press the button to unlock and then i had to move the key around inside before it would realise its in the car. 

once the battery is changed in the key see what happens?

Occasionally my stock head unit has a moan about the ipod and won't play music but i've found this to be the ipod. as it only starts working again when i've restarted the ipod.

I doubt it would be the fob battery as this is changed during service. I've noticed, a couple of times, that when I plug my phone into USB it says that device is drawing too much current!

32 minutes ago, The Minion said:

I doubt it would be the fob battery as this is changed during service. I've noticed, a couple of times, that when I plug my phone into USB it says that device is drawing too much current!

It's only changed at 40K or two year intervals in service though. Not at every service as such. 

Worth trying new batteries in the fobs for the sake of a few quid.