Knighty

Rattle/knock front suspension

Hi guys,

Just looking to see if anyone has witnessed similar.

I've had the teins flex As installed for a couple of months now and I'm getting a knock/rattle when i go over some light bumps, more noticeable when on a corrugated surface, and sometimes a clonk when coming down from a speedbump. Cannot remember whether i had this noise before the install or whether it came after. Could it even be a characteristic of the car? (Doubt it)

I've checked over all bolts and and ensured the top nut on the struts are torqued correctly. Everything is perfect and tight.

For reference drop links are standard items that came new on the car.

Could it be droplinks? Or is there anything else i should look at?

Thanks

Sam

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Have you check the preload spindle, i.e. Is the spring loose?

Checked that a little, not sure how tight it was supposed to be but i couldn't move the spring all that much when the car was in the air. I did tighten it a little further (less than a quarter of a turn) to be sure though.

Had very similar, mine went to two garages before the third garage TunedUK identified it as the droplink, all had checked and ok'd the said droplink, Feckin ninja droplink!

Ninja droplinks you say? I did check droplinks and all the dust boots looked intact and everything was tight and the joints moving freely. Were yours similar?

I was wondering whether it was more to do with the use of stock droplinks and them being too long.

1 hour ago, Knighty said:

Ninja droplinks you say? I did check droplinks and all the dust boots looked intact and everything was tight and the joints moving freely. Were yours similar?

I was wondering whether it was more to do with the use of stock droplinks and them being too long.

The dust boot on the drop link (not a standard droplink) finally showed a small split which lead to further investigation, but as Jeff said are you sure the originals aren't catching anything?

Have you checked the stop drop links aren't catching something? A lot of coilovers come with shorter drop links to stop any catching.

I have to be honest, i didn't check, but i did wonder this myself. Do most people run with shorter droplinks?

I've been looking at the whiteline arb and drop link kit

1 hour ago, Knighty said:  

The dust boot on the drop link (not a standard droplink) finally showed a small split which lead to further investigation, but as Jeff said are you sure the originals aren't catching anything?

It's definitely possible I'd guess. Though I'd have thought I might have noticed some marks or something, but then again i wasn't looking​. It sounds plausible. I'm also pretty low, about 40 - 45mm lowered.

I'd say there's a reasonable chance you may be catching something. I'd jack it up, take the wheel off and have a really good look especially if you are about 40mm+ lowered.

Okay, thanks for that, I'll take a look!

With the drop links been a weak point on our cars, I'd say get a pair of shorter ones, get them fitted, if it cures the knock "great" if not you have a spare set.

Was also coming to this conclusion tbh.

Any point in getting the ARB while I'm at it or no in your opinion?

6 minutes ago, Knighty said:

Was also coming to this conclusion tbh.

Any point in getting the ARB while I'm at it or no in your opinion?

I've got the whiteline front and rear arb kit. It does stiffen the ride up quite a bit just to warn you. Also, you'd want either both front and rear or just rear as front alone will add understeer.

If you can't see any witness marks where the drop links are hitting anything check the drop links are tight in the ARB and the strut. My right front drop link came loose at the ARB and made a similar noise under similar symptoms to what you've described.

If you can't see any witness marks where the drop links are hitting anything check the drop links are tight in the ARB and the strut. My right front drop link came loose at the ARB and made a similar noise under similar symptoms to what you've described.

Thanks Dan, did check both those and couldn't move them at all, all seemed tight. The noise does seem worse on the drivers side, but that could be because I'm sat on that side and can hear it more. Also noticed the camber seems to be slightly more negative on the drivers side compared to the passenger side,

I've got a spare set of shorter non adjustable drop links if you want to try those and see if they fix it then.

That'd be really useful actually mate if you don't mind. Will you be at japfest next weekend? Could pick them up from there if you are? How much shorter are they?

Not a problem, they're sat under my desk at work gathering dust.

They're 210mm centre to centre, not sure how much shorter that is than stock though, other than they're definitely shorter.

I'm not at Japfest but should be able to leave them with someone who is today, will let you know.cb84859f5f7e61c92201435d5caedeab.jpg

Not a problem, they're sat under my desk at work gathering dust.

They're 210mm centre to centre, not sure how much shorter that is than stock though, other than they're definitely shorter.

I'm not at Japfest but should be able to leave them with someone who is today, will let you know.cb84859f5f7e61c92201435d5caedeab.jpg

That's brilliant mate, thankyou very much. Really appreciate it.

i've got the exact same problem again with my flex A's last time it was because the securing nut on the drop links (above and below the gold bit on the whitelines) purely weren't tight enough. turns out i was just being a bit too scared about it. now though it seems they are tight but something else is slowly making more of a rattle at low speeds. ARGHH!!

On 23/04/2017 at 8:52 PM, LarmiqGt said:

i've got the exact same problem again with my flex A's last time it was because the securing nut on the drop links (above and below the gold bit on the whitelines) purely weren't tight enough. turns out i was just being a bit too scared about it. now though it seems they are tight but something else is slowly making more of a rattle at low speeds. ARGHH!!

I feel your pain. The noise I feel is slowly driving me insane... I spend my life listening for it at the minute, trying to find the culprit. 

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it soon enough, and there'll be that ever so sweet satisfaction! 

I had a very slight knocking/clonking on mine, that I noticed when going over speedbumps. Turned out that where top of the damper unit screws into the top plate, the thread had been stripped (it only has a very small thread) and there was a slight amount of movement. This was after 50K miles. I had the top plates replaced and that sorted it when I had the suspension serviced by TEIN.