James

Fensport Ecutek Remap

4 hours ago, jevvy said:

Actually when I called fensport to inquire the installation and map the guy seemed to think it was a bit special of me to have 4 different aftermarket parts and said it will likely have some fitment issues

Utter crap. They're pretty much all designed to be modular, ie you can swap any single component with stock. You're no less likely to have fitment issues if you get all the same brand. The only thing you have to be wary of is LHD (pretty much US market) components as the RHD steering column gets in the way. They don't always factor that in.

6 hours ago, knightryder said:

Utter crap. They're pretty much all designed to be modular, ie you can swap any single component with stock. You're no less likely to have fitment issues if you get all the same brand. The only thing you have to be wary of is LHD (pretty much US market) components as the RHD steering column gets in the way. They don't always factor that in.

That's a bit strong. I agree it should all fit together nicely but there probably is slightly more chance of it sitting nicely first time if it's the same brand as they should have tested it.

1 hour ago, maurice said:

That's a bit strong. I agree it should all fit together nicely but there probably is slightly more chance of it sitting nicely first time if it's the same brand as they should have tested it.

How? If Brand A's front pipe is designed to fit between stock overpipe and cat-back, as does Brand B, does that not mean that no matter what cat-back is on the car, so long as it's designed to replace the OEM cat-back, both will fit the same? The same analogy is true for all the components. All manifolds are designed that they will work with the stock overpipe, so therefore any replacement overpipe that is designed to fit the OEM manifold (all bar a couple) will be interchangeable no matter what manifold you run. The same therefore applies to the front pipe and no-one seems to care if the frontpipe and cat-back match, but why is that any different? So long as the flanges are the same size and pipe size isn't constantly changing, there should be no issues mixing and matching. Any brand can have a poor batch/friday job item, the jigs are designed that the parts are 100% modular. Even if you ordered the whole exhaust in parts from one company, they aren't bolted up and tested as one which means they are no different to ordering them separately from different manufacturers.

I've read about more issues of cat-backs not fitting correctly, which surely should be perfect as they are from one manufacturer. Not once have I read the same due to a "poor" selection of mixed pipework... unless it was cheap copy eBay stuff.

To call a respected tuner's opinion 'utter crap', someone who that has probably fitted more modular exhaust systems than you or I have had hot dinners... most would consider a bit strong.

There's such a thing as manufacturing tolerances where it may differ between different brands - please don't wack me with a keyboard. :)

NOT to get into this disagreement but just to say I have an AVO UEL manifold with Avo overpipe, BERK front pipe and INJEN cat back and all goes together well. When front pipe was fitted it did throw cat back out slightly but is perfect now with some slight adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, maurice said:

To call a respected tuner's opinion 'utter crap'... most would consider a bit strong.

Respect is a very personal opinion ;) I wasn't trying to be a keyboard warrior, I just hate misinformation. Would I buy a cheap eBay overpipe? Hell no. Which would I choose from Miltek, Cobra, H&S, Tomei, HKS etc?.... the cheapest (build spec dependent obviously). I have a mix and match exhaust, the only component that caused fitment issues was the cat-back, it was cheap so I expected no less. As I said, mix and match any quality component and you should be fine.

1 hour ago, knightryder said:

Respect is a very personal opinion ;) I wasn't trying to be a keyboard warrior, I just hate misinformation. Would I buy a cheap eBay overpipe? Hell no. Which would I choose from Miltek, Cobra, H&S, Tomei, HKS etc?.... the cheapest (build spec dependent obviously). I have a mix and match exhaust, the only component that caused fitment issues was the cat-back, it was cheap so I expected no less. As I said, mix and match any quality component and you should be fine.

As I originally said, I agree it should be fine just that some combinations *might* need a little more adjustment than others, and IMO I wouldn't be completely (even rudely) dismissive of guys who fit these for a living.

Some manifolds like the FA20club I fitted at the weekend have rotatable v-clamps joins that can pull the overpipe fore and aft a little, obviously having a knock on effect on other system parts, plus the mid pipe hanger has some adjustability. It's not 100% bolt up and forget all of the time.

While most components are more often then not designed to be stock drop-in replacements, there still are some exhaust component models that are intended to be used with their vendor's other bits in set and have non-standard flanges/connections, eg. v-bands instead of normal bolts flanges and so on. So even if product is of "quality" brand, one should do homework first checking everything about it.